• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Car clubs?

34isgreat

Have been thinking about joining a car club, checked into all the nearby MCA clubs I see that all of them have "late model" Mustangs on their member car list. Don't get me wrong I love the new Mustangs but it seams odd to me that a club for people restoring old cars allows members with newer Mustangs. All the clubs in my area (central NC) look to be focused on newer Mustangs and rally events. I think I will look into local generic car clubs. I guess the dollar came into the picture, many more people with new Mustangs than olds ones like us.

I know what you are saying but the MCA is the Mustang Club of America.....not just for classics or restoring old cars....but I am not a member there so I cannot say much.

As for local clubs, our Mustang Club (MCA sponsored) is full of newer cars (mine included and at one time I had both old and new) and we have some older cars too. One big thing here is that the restored Mustang classics are seldom seen at cruises.....maybe an annual show or so. Don't know why..... We also have issues drawing in new members like most other clubs.

Thing is....look at all the clubs before you decide and find one that works for you. Many new car owners will be impressed that a classic can run with them......

Honestly, good luck finding a Mustang club that DOESN'T have a lot of late model cars. Don't get me wrong, they usually have classics too, but it's how the hobby has changed.

I seem to recall this was a HUGE issue for MCA a number of years ago, whether to exclude the late models or not. If you would have asked me back then I'd have said yes, exclude them. I'm glad now that no one asked me! You can have both late models and classics happily coexist. Here locally the oldest club eventually split into two. My understanding was one group wanted to focus on all classics, the other on late models. The irony is, both clubs now have the same mix of old and new!

In closing I'd have to say finding a club should be more about getting along with the members and enjoying each others camaraderie. The fact is that the members generally share one thing in common, Mustangs. It doesn't matter whether they're classics or late models, the passion is the same!

"Ponyman66" said:
In closing I'd have to say finding a club should be more about getting along with the members and enjoying each others camaraderie. The fact is that the members generally share one thing in common, Mustangs. It doesn't matter whether they're classics or late models, the passion is the same!

That should be the main reason IMHO.

With so many StangFixers living nearby (too many for my likings :stfu ), I don't need to join a local club.

I've noticed the increased number of late model mustangs at the cruise-ins and shows in my area as well. After thinking about it I think it's a good thing for the hobby. A lot of the owners are youger people who feel as passionately about their cars as we do about our classics. They generally can't afford to buy/restore/maintain a classic car and have a reliable daily driver too so they get the coolest late model they can afford and have fun with it.

I have given up on finding a mustang club here around Indy, most of the cars are newer and they have a payment book.

Look, installing a "cold air kit" on you car is not the same as a t5 swap or replacing transition panel, and that FOX body you "found" in that pole barn is not really a "barn find" so you don't really need to put that part on your show board. And honestly, using your walmart car polisher to remove a water spot is not the same as cutting and buffing new clear on a DIY paint job!

I want to find a club for vintage cars, if you know of any near Indy, let me know.

"Coupe" said:
Look, installing a "cold air kit" on you car is not the same as a t5 swap or replacing transition panel, and that FOX body you "found" in that pole barn is not really a "barn find" so you don't really need to put that part on your show board. And honestly, using your walmart car polisher to remove a water spot is not the same as cutting and buffing new clear on a DIY paint job!

LOL - That is so real

An alternate view: I am not a member of any organized Mustang Club. Since I consider this all a hobby, I have little use for bylaws, officers, and meetings, let alone the occasional politics that seems to create factionalism among otherwise nice people. Here in NorCal there are enough folks, some of whom are regular contributors to this forum, that we can enjoy our cars without getting mired down in the structure of a traditional club. For example, someone gets an idea that a local cruise to a particular location tomorrow might be fun and puts the word out via text messages. Show up or not, it's no big deal. Sometimes a couple of cars show up sometimes many cars show up. At the end of the day, it's about the people more than the cars.

On the subtopic of vintage vs. late model, I find that many drivers of the late model cars are younger guys who don't have the resources to keep the Vintage iron on the road as a daily driver and by default, gravitate to the newer cars. Their enthusiasm for the hobby should be the litmus test and should be encouraged inside and outside of clubs.

If you like the structure of a club environment, go for it.

I am lucky to have Mike, Jeff and Craig around I don't have the desire for a formal club! Craig is more than enough!!!!! :wor

Here is our last unofficial meeting:

1805b87f-50ec-012d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ponyman66" said:
Honestly, good luck finding a Mustang club that DOESN'T have a lot of late model cars. Don't get me wrong, they usually have classics too, but it's how the hobby has changed.

I seem to recall this was a HUGE issue for MCA a number of years ago, whether to exclude the late models or not. If you would have asked me back then I'd have said yes, exclude them. I'm glad now that no one asked me! You can have both late models and classics happily coexist. Here locally the oldest club eventually split into two. My understanding was one group wanted to focus on all classics, the other on late models. The irony is, both clubs now have the same mix of old and new!

Well said, point noted.

I joined a local Mustang club after I bought my car a few years ago. There is a mix of classics and late models, leaning to more late models than classics. I go to a few meetings a year and have only gone to probably 2 club events in the last 3 years.

There are not too many members that I have met that are into the hands on restoring classics. What they are into is getting together, doing parades, charity events, cruises and shows.

What I did take away from this though is I found a body shop and engine builder through the club.

I wouldn't just go by the pics on their website, it all depends on which members submitted pics of their cars. I'd suggest going to a club meeting of any that are close to you and see what the membership is like, how many classic owners, what they do when they get together.
I joined a local club when I got my car 4yrs. ago and have been to their annual show every year, volunteered to park cars one year, etc. They do group activities at least 1-2X mo. in the nice months, we are going to tour the GearZ TV show set in a couple weekends as a group. You may not be able to do that as an indiv. I also made some connections, a member did some welding for me, made friends and helped others fix their cars. It can be a win/win with the right group. I'd meet them in person before crossing them off your list.

Having a classic and an '09 I don't mind the mix but spend much less time looking at the new ones at cruise ins/shows.
Jon

I have been a member of Bay Area Mustang Association for about 13 years. We get a great discount at our local speed shop (one of the largest in Northern CA) and other discounts but the best is meeting the people. We have a combination of new and older cars and it's not an issue at all. Are there issues that arise every once in a while? Sure, but that's true of any organization.
Stan

You have to realize too that the change over to the fox bodied cars are now over 30 years old and would and should be in the same category as our "Vintage" cars. That 74 to say 85 gt could very well be a barn find. But when it all comes down to it, We're all car guys no matter what. One thing that people forget too, Alot of us got into this when Muscle Cars were plentiful. When I brought mine, I looked at all the body styles and all the years between 65 and 73 in all different price ranges. Hell,I walked away from 71 Boss 351 because I thought the price at 1200 was too steep. As for joining a car club, Never had the urge to. Car people tend to find one another and seem to group together that way. If I was to join one, I think I would join a club that allows all makes and models not just fords or mustangs. Just my opinion.

I was in the Mustang club while I lived in Bend, OR, back in 04-06. Best "club" I've ever been a part of. GTG'ers, cruises, shows, autocross, open track, drag races, parades...they did it all and it was a lot of fun. I miss that, a lot.

Every other "car" club I've been in was just a mess and too many rules.

I have to ask myself the question... why do I want to join a club, what am I looking for? What I want is to hang out with other car guys (or gals). Cruise ins, car shows and other car events. I do like the newer Mustangs I just would not go to a car show to look at any, it is not what I am interested in but I know others are. Many great points have been made here. What it boils down to is what is each person looking for. I want to hang out with other people who like what I like, looking at old cars, all kinds and conditions. If I join a club it will be one for old cars, I think it is cool the Norcal group gets together like they do, wonder if a group of Norcar Mustangers can do the same here in North Carolina.

Back