• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carb trade

I still say you need to get some local StangFix help there......they will treat you right.

And soon, I'll have a little repair party. :vic I was going to wait until it cooled off a little bit since summer in Texas is torture, and I was going to hit up the ford guy and get some parts first.

Husband not too happy and says the car sounds like $hit and runs like $hit and wanted me to get back the holley.

I've been busy with life for a few days, but playing catch-up now I suspected from your first post that you were getting a bum deal out of this carb swap.

1. Your car may be in need of many things, but the one thing it had going for it was that it ran GREAT. Granted the carb is probably too big for the motor, but why mess with a good thing?

2. Carbuerators are notorious for not working well. It could be a minor issue, but it could also need a full rebuild. A "stranger" offers to take your "working fine" carbuerator and replace it with his.... and the WTF warning bells aren't ringing in your head? As a general rule.... NOBODY removes from their engine a good running carbuerator.

I know.. I was bad... I shall take the punishment. Go ahead, send me to your room.
SmackBottom.gif

"Kats66Pny" said:
And soon, I'll have a little repair party. :vic I was going to wait until it cooled off a little bit since summer in Texas is torture, and I was going to hit up the ford guy and get some parts first.

+1 to that idea.

It's so hot out right now (and humid down this way) that I have real trouble getting motivated to do much of anything outside. Only work that is getting done on the Mustang right now is when it is absolutely necessary. Even at 10 p.m. its still hot as heck out. Only time it's really tolerable is early in the morning.

I've been thinking about getting another project but I am waiting till September. Partly because summers in general are expensive with extra day care expense, etc but also because of the heat. Doesn't mean I'd pass if a great deal dropped in my lap but I'd wait till mid to late September to get started on it.

That's when I was thinking..September/October. Should be cooler outside and my garage won't be a sauna! Of course I wouldn't mind seeing some sweaty gentlemen in my garage. :vic

"Kats66Pny" said:
That's when I was thinking..September/October. Should be cooler outside and my garage won't be a sauna! Of course I wouldn't mind seeing some sweaty gentlemen in my garage. :vic

Gentlemen........have never heard that term used around here.......has someone new joined the site that has not been corrupted yet?

"Kats66Pny" said:

Weren't you just telling someone yesterday to get their mind out of the gutter?

By the way...you can still work up a sweat in October even but it's not like August where you need a Gatoraid set up for an IV

"AzPete" said:
Gentlemen........have never heard that term used around here.......has someone new joined the site that has not been corrupted yet?

With this group...she better be using that term very, very loosely!!! :craz

Got an update this morning... the guy working the holley, well he broke an easy out while trying to get the bolt out. He said he also noticed the carb was pretty nasty inside so he's going to take it apart and clean it up, but hopefully he'll have everything fixed today or tomorrow. :vic

Is this the guy you traded with or someone else? I assume you got the carb back from the trade and someone is rebuilding it?

"Fast68back" said:
Is this the guy you traded with or someone else? I assume you got the carb back from the trade and someone is rebuilding it?

I got my holley back and having a guy in my car club remove the broken bolt in it. He's the 'carb man' of the club and the one everyone goes to when they have carb problems. I'm letting it slide that he's a bowtie guy. :lol He restored his 72 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2041077 - which is smoking hot. :vic

Those bowtie guys are pretty good at working on carbs. With rochesters on everything, they got lots of practice-

Wow, I really need to learn to judge people better. :shy

I was informed by a fellow classic mustang guy in the car club about the guy I originally traded carbs with. I guess he did a little digging on this so-called 'certified mechanic' and 'cop' after he learned about the trade and how he tried putting on a leaking old carb on my pony.

http://justiceweb.co.brazos.tx.us/Scripts/UVlink.isa/bodreaux/WEBSERV/JailSearch?action%253Dview%26track%253D242868233

Speaking of that, I got my holley back from bowtie guy yesterday. He broke an easy out trying to get the broken bolt out :ep but eventually got it fixed, sort of, and epoxy'd a bolt in there and got it all cleaned inside so everything is good to go. Now I just need to put it back on and try to get it working. He said if we have any problems getting it on and setup, give him a call and he'll come help again.

Back to square one. :dh

While rearranging the lines to get them away from the headers and heat, the bolt holding the air filter on that was epoxied in.. well it came out. :cry
Looks like I'm going to have to find something stronger to keep it in.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Looks like I'm going to have to find something stronger to keep it in.

It's been a while since I've done anything with a carb (except to swap out one for the wife)...Is there enough material on the carb to drill it out and heli-coil it?

Lather the removed air filter stud with a coat of JB weld and insert it into the stripped out hole on the carb. It's not a piece of the carb that you'll need to remove again.

Back