• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carb trade

"daveSanborn" said:
Lather the removed air filter stud with a coat of JB weld and insert it into the stripped out hole on the carb. It's not a piece of the carb that you'll need to remove again.

Dave you took the words right out of my mouth!

Mel

I'm not sure what the guy used to keep the bolt in, but it was some epoxy stuff that was suppose to turn as hard as steel. I thought about getting some JB weld but if that's what he used the first time, it didn't hold up very well.

"66gt350" said:
It's been a while since I've done anything with a carb (except to swap out one for the wife)...Is there enough material on the carb to drill it out and heli-coil it?

You got a carb in trade for your wife?

JB Weld has to be mixed correctly or it will not harden. Dang good stuff though. I use the JB Quick as it sets faster. Clean the area good and mix up some JG and have at it. Just do not drop anything down the carb if it is on the car......

OK, You'll need to get in there and stuff rags in the carb and use a blade or something to clean out the hole. There is some stuff like JB Weld that is in a roll and it is two part. You kneed it to mix it up. when the catalyst is mixed and the material hardens it can be drilled and tapped. I have seen it at stores with a coin in it on display and it is hard stuff. Anyway take this stuff and stuff it in the hole and then stuff the bolt in there. Make sure to get the material on then bolt and make sure to get the bolt straight.

When done you can take some of the material that is squished out around the bolt shaft since you don't need to take it out again. when it dries you will be hard pressed to ever remove that bolt!

HTH,

Mel

"daveSanborn" said:
Lather the removed air filter stud with a coat of JB weld and insert it into the stripped out hole on the carb. It's not a piece of the carb that you'll need to remove again.

Another tip IF you wish to remove the bolt again, Wrap the threads with plastic.
I have use both teflon tape and saran wrap(from the wife's kitchen) covering the threads with
one good wrap. place the bolt into the epxoy and let dry, then you can remove the bolt and reinstall anytime.

"Mach1Rider" said:
Another tip IF you wish to remove the bolt again, Wrap the threads with plastic.
I have use both teflon tape and saran wrap(from the wife's kitchen) covering the threads with
one good wrap. place the bolt into the epxoy and let dry, then you can remove the bolt and reinstall anytime.

That's a good idea! Right now, the biggest that can fit is a 2" filter and the hood clearance doesn't allow for a very tall bolt. I eventually wanted to get a taller air filter once I got a new hood that would allow it.

"Kats66Pny" said:
That's a good idea! Right now, the biggest that can fit is a 2" filter and the hood clearance doesn't allow for a very tall bolt. I eventually wanted to get a taller air filter once I got a new hood that would allow it.

I took this consideration into my early recommendation. If at a later date you'd like to install a taller (thicker) air filter assembly, there's usually no need to change the existing shorter bolt. You can simply install a "coupler" or "barrel nut" onto the existing stud and then an appropriately longer stud onto the other end of the barrel nut/coupler to account for an increased thickness air cleaner assembly.

"Kats66Pny" said:

Get a drop base filter and you can run a taller filter without changing the hood or stud length.

So uh, if smoke starts pouring out from the hood ... is that a bad thing? :lol :lol :lol

Hubby was going to drive Gertrude to work so I could take his car to the monthly car meet tonight. Said he got a couple blocks away, and she started smoking from the hood so he turned around and brought her back and took his car. So no meeting for me tonight. :po

I've checked and rechecked it all, made sure everything was tight, etc. Had to running before, just in the driveway, and notice no leaks or any smoke but tonight when he actually drove it down the road, smoke from the hood. :cry

I didn't see it, and he never said. I didn't even think to ask either. I can ask him later tonight when he calls from work.

I wonder if it is an electronic fire?

Or

Steam?

Or

Fuel or oil?

I would start with rechecking the work you just did to make sure there is no leaks under pressure. Run the engine and look as you rev it from under the hood. You will be able to see any leaks you may have. If there is none, then check all your under hood wireing to see if any of the plastic is melted.

Check your hoses and make sure there are no leaks as well.

Mel

There is a possibility that a little fuel dripped when rearranging the hoses. Wonder if that caused the smoke? I was out there looking around and didn't see anything melted like wires or anything. I'll have to give it another look in the morning and check things as you suggested. Last thing my neighbors want to hear is my loud stang echoing down the street at this hour. :lol

Fuel will evaporate and would cause very little smoke, if any. You may have dropped a piece of rubber hose on the headers, or in working, pushed some other wires against the header. Whatever it was, it had to get hot quick so that would indicate the headers, unless the car was warmed up totally in the drive.

I'm with Pete here.

It has got to be near your headers. I have at times put my grubby hands on the headers and got oil all over them. That will creat smoke. It won't look like a fire though. Just smoking out from under the fenders.

Mel

I just talked to hubby. He said it was just smoke (no fire or anything) and it was white and he couldn't tell where it was coming from exactly but either on the side or from underneath the block. It wasn't coming from something visible on top.

I'll get to poking around and see if anything is laying on the headers. Which are wrapped up in some gray material by the way. Some sort of heat wrap I guess?

Check for anything touching or getting close to the headers. It sounds like maybe something got on the headers and is burning off.

Mel

Back