• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cleaning the bay...

Kats66Pny

Spent some time yesterday in the bay scrubbing area's down. Is there some easy way to clean the engine bay on the drivers side without removed the steering column and steering box? I have a tiny wire brush that can fit and it worked to some degree but there's still a lot of nasty build up of "guk' around that area. Hubby mentioned possibly using a pressure washer, but I'm not fond of that idea especially since the tranny is still there (covered with a couple trash bags). It would probably make more sense to just remove that stuff, but I'm thinking no reason to remove something that works fine and doesn't need fixing. :shrug

- If I do have to remove it, how complicated would it be to reinstall the column and box?

- Also is it safe to wash the steering box? If so, with what? Engine degreaser? Simple Green? Dawn dish soap?

- Can it be painted?

Yesterday I went to Tasco and picked up some Metal Ready as well as a small can of POR15 just to have some. They didn't sell the Marine Clean though. Bummer.

If you don't want to remove it, you will need to spend some time with some engine degreaser, simple green and dawn and a small wire brush and possibly a wire wheel to get into the nooks and crannies.

They are painted all the time. I have to look at my spare one in the garage to see where the seals are, but be careful around them. They are designed to repel rain and water spray, but the wire wheel may destroy them and then you will have to pull it.

I am assuming you have manual steering.

So to answer your question, you will either have to remove it or take your time and be patient.

Mel

I'm not lazy. I'm just inexperienced and less I remove, the less chance I screw something up and make it even longer before she gets back on the road. lol She has to be on the road by October 8th. Even if she's painted in primer.

I have a couple cans of the Gunk Engine Degreaser. I guess I can use that to get in tight spots not accessible with the wire brush. :thu

After I spent a little time earlier cleaning it.
IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

Rest of the bay...
IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good so far. Maybe a bit of detailing.

In regards to the steering column removal you will likely want to take it out anyway. The reason is the seals at the firewall and steering box need to be replaced and now is the time. You have the harpoon style steering box meaning the shaft is attached to the steering box and runs the length of the column. So the column is just a tube with some wires and bearing in it. Not hard to remove, but when you do make sure to note the order you take things apart and make sure you check all the bearings and bushings and replace if needed.

The only thing to worry about is when you put it back together, if you do it wrong the wheel will likely have play up and down. I found this out the hard way.

You will find that once you do it one time it is a no brainer. You can also detail the column and paint it while it is out. that is a good thing believe me. I cut that corner on the 67 and regretted it and ended up pulling it and painting it. Now while the engine is in it I have to replace the seals because I skipped this step and now the firewall leaks fumes from under the hood. I'll likely pull the engine and do under the hood again soon.

Mel

That area close to the steering box is made worse with the clutch z-bar assembly, but you don't have that. I agree to remove the steering shaft then the box (you'll have to get a pitman arm puller), but there's really no other way to get into that area for cleaning and painting unless you have a trained ferret or very small hands.

I give up trying to clean it as is. Went and bought a steering wheel puller. Now to go have fun taking more stuff apart. :hide

edit: :rant forgot the pitman arm puller. UGH back to the store!

"Midlife" said:
That area close to the steering box is made worse with the clutch z-bar assembly, but you don't have that. I agree to remove the steering shaft then the box (you'll have to get a pitman arm puller), but there's really no other way to get into that area for cleaning and painting unless you have a trained ferret or very small hands.

Mid she has the harpoon o matic.... with the tools she has she will only be able to pull the tube.

Kat you will have to unplug the wire harness at the bottom of the column to pull the tube. I forgot about that.

It is not hard to pull the tube and you should do that so you can replace the rubber at the firewall and the rubber seal at to of the steering box.

Your steering box will work fine as long as you don't have a head on collision, then the steering wheel will go through your chest.

So if the steering box is bad and you want to replace it, I would find a car buddy with a powerful air impact gun or a very large cheater pipe. If you have the front end off the ground and you get your breaker bar and socket on that pitman arm nut and slide a 4' pipe (metal not copper) and use some leverage and Get-R-Done!

Mel

I got the column off! :yah

I might wait until tomorrow to try and mess with the pitman arm because it really ticking me off...

Mel:
Kat wants to clean the engine bay area where the steering box sits. The only good way of doing it well is to remove the steering box. The column gaskets will be replaced in the process of putting the box back. Once the pitman arm is off, it's easy to remove from the engine bay. Kat: be careful that you don't rotate the steering shaft down inside the passenger compartment and gouge your interior upholstery.

"guruatbol" said:
Mid she has the harpoon o matic.... with the tools she has she will only be able to pull the tube.

Kat you will have to unplug the wire harness at the bottom of the column to pull the tube. I forgot about that.

It is not hard to pull the tube and you should do that so you can replace the rubber at the firewall and the rubber seal at to of the steering box.

Your steering box will work fine as long as you don't have a head on collision, then the steering wheel will go through your chest.

So if the steering box is bad and you want to replace it, I would find a car buddy with a powerful air impact gun or a very large cheater pipe. If you have the front end off the ground and you get your breaker bar and socket on that pitman arm nut and slide a 4' pipe (metal not copper) and use some leverage and Get-R-Done!

Mel

No worries as I have no interior upholstery. lol

So I got the column out, yay me!! and decided to take the grinder to it and clean it up.
IMG_4542.jpg

Then some primer...
IMG_4547.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to paint it with rattle can *gasp* Dupli-color Gunmetal Metallic. It's REALLY close to the color I want Gert to be. I figure if I don't like it, I can sand it off and just do black.
99984848_dpl_bgm0536_pri_larg.jpg

26674264120_large.jpg

Oh and I'm well aware of the danger steering columns have, and eventually will change things out. But for now... stock stuff will do.

Kat you don't have to take the pitman arm off of the box. You can leave it and just disconnect the steering linkage from it (a LOT easier!). Then it's just the bolts that attach the steering box to the frame and it's OUT!

"Ponyman66" said:
Kat you don't have to take the pitman arm off of the box. You can leave it and just disconnect the steering linkage from it (a LOT easier!). Then it's just the bolts that attach the steering box to the frame and it's OUT!

I guess I'll have to try that. I need to remove all steering/suspension anyway, to clean it up and replace bushings because a lot of them look like burnt flat marshmallows.

What is the bottom pic of what you painted? I can't tell where it would go on a 66 from that angle.

Um, ya, I agree with Mid, duh, You're right!

Wasn't thinking outside the box.

Mel

This?

26674264120_large.jpg

I didn't paint that. That is an example picture of what the color looks like...someone else painted whatever that is with the rattle can Dupli-color Guntmetal Met I'm painting the column.
I actually just sprayed on a second coat of the paint on the column and I must say it looks sexy! :yah I really like this color!

Back