• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cleaning the bay...

Make sure you are using a good degreaser before painting, I use PPG degreaser. I agree use an etching primer or I really like Zero Rust. You'll need to hunt for it but it's worth it. I used Zero Rust primer in red oxide and then painted with Krylon 1613, of course professional paint equipment would be better but you know you have to do what is within your own ability, plus the Krylon is VERY EASY to touch up, if anything happens.

My engine bay which was done in a one car garage where I had to work in the driveway!

enginebaybefore.jpg

strippedbay.jpg

enginebay1.jpg

enginebay2.jpg

paintedbay1.jpg

paintedbay2.jpg

Yeah I used rustoleum in a rattle can. :shrug

I've gotten as creative as I can with the garage. I have a huge air hockey table on the other side which has now become a table for parts. I have stuff shoved under it as well. I also have a engine lift in the garage as well as the engine on the stand, and a wooden table that has fenders, and mustang parts under it, with boxes of stuff on top of it. I have some of the front pieces like grille, apron, headlight stuff in gertrude. It's a cramped garage. lol

I'm using simple green to clean and dawn dish soap. Hell if it can clean oil from oil spills off wildlife, it should clean oil off a car right? lol I actually went and bought aircraft paint remover. Figure that might be the best and easiest way to remove the paint in the bay.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Yeah I used rustoleum in a rattle can. :shrug

I've gotten as creative as I can with the garage. I have a huge air hockey table on the other side which has now become a table for parts. I have stuff shoved under it as well. I also have a engine lift in the garage as well as the engine on the stand, and a wooden table that has fenders, and mustang parts under it, with boxes of stuff on top of it. I have some of the front pieces like grille, apron, headlight stuff in gertrude. It's a cramped garage. lol

I'm using simple green to clean and dawn dish soap. Hell if it can clean oil from oil spills off wildlife, it should clean oil off a car right? lol I actually went and bought aircraft paint remover. Figure that might be the best and easiest way to remove the paint in the bay.
The stuff you are using to clean are fine but you MUST come behind and use a true painter's degreaser before you spray anything if you want to have lasting adhesion and performance. You can pick up a gallon just about anywhere (auto parts or big box hardware).Prep work is the key to everything as are using the right products. Etching primer doesn't really cost anymore than the plain build primers but it is made for the job you are doing (bare metal).

The last thing you want is to put in all this effort and time only to have it look like crap a few months down the road.

Kat you are doing a great job and I didn't mean lazy as in lazy! I meant don't cut corners. Every time I cut a corner I regretted it!

I used a ton of these on a drill to strip paint, they are nice because they don't remove metal.

51MEOWiWlIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is more information on Zero Rust, I love this stuff!!

http://zero-rust.com/

I used Metal Ready before it was primered. According to the information is says... "Etches metal to provide a better surface profile for painting." and "Coats the metal with zinc phosphate to inhibit further rusting and promote better paint adhesion."

So what I did was clean with simple green, and dawn...then sanded down to bare metal, cleaned again, sprayed the metal ready on (following directions on it), and then primered. :shrug

I have one of those disks.. for my angle grinder. Hmm... :confu

Oh adn FYI I'm not going for show car quality here. After this is painted and engine put back in, I'll probably rarely ever worry or care how the bay looks. lol

I have reciepts so I can always go back and exchange the primer for self etching if I need to. I just didn't think it was needed since the metal ready is suppose to etch metal.

OH! I also forgot I used that Engine Brite degreaser stuff too.

You could save a step (and money) by skipping the Metal Ready and using self-etching primer.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Oh adn FYI I'm not going for show car quality here. After this is painted and engine put back in, I'll probably rarely ever worry or care how the bay looks. lol

:confu

"abrahamfh" said:

I know. It makes no sense. Spend all this time making it pretty only to end up not caring if it gets dirty or anything later. LOL I figure if I had a garage queen then yeah, but I plan on driving the hell out Gertrude and she's going to get dirty and once in a while I might steam clean under the hood. Main thing I want is just to see the metal, find any rust and fix that.

You're in a car club. You go to car shows. Trust me, you want to do it right because down the road you will be opening that hood for others to see and you'll want to be proud of your work.

Besides, doing it right will make keeping it clean SO much easier.

"Horseplay" said:
You're in a car club. You go to car shows. Trust me, you want to do it right because down the road you will be opening that hood for others to see and you'll want to be proud of your work.

Besides, doing it right will make keeping it clean SO much easier.

Must be a guy thing because I never open the hood or show off what's under it. Gertrude is a lady. She doesn't flash her stuff to strangers. :part

So will something like the Gunk Engine Brite good enough for degreasing or do I have to run to Tasco and buy something better?

Simple Green and Dawn are great for cleaning it up. I use the same stuff to get off the grease and grime. The "de-greaser/de-waxer" we're talking about is different. It is a painting prep item. Before painting it is the last step to make sure the surface is free from hand oils, etc. Look in the paint aisle at your local auto parts store and you'll see it.

I'm not buying the "lady" business. Clean it up, add a bit of color and chrome and your hood will be open. Women aren't that different than men. I don't see the ladies investing in new racks hiding them under parkas! :yah

"Horseplay" said:
Women aren't that different than men. I don't see the ladies investing in new racks hiding them under parkas! :yah

I don't show off my surgeon created twins. :roll I wear baggy shirts all the time!

Guess I'll run to the store here in a bit and look for some proper degreasing stuff to use if Engine Brite, simple green, and dawn aren't good enough.

Back