• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Concrete question...

daveSanborn

Is Rod the concrete guy? I know Ron is. My question, I need a 3-4 yard pour.... behind my garage. There is limited access for the truck. The closest the truck can back up is approx. 60' from the pour site. Other than wheel barrowing it, what are my options?

go to a rental center and get a power buggy(gas propelled dump tub), they rent them by the day or half day usually,I would practice with it a little before filling it, most steer backwards and can be tricky in close quarters especially--I am not sure on the cost--it would vary--they usually hold about 1/2 of a yard--I would not start with a full one either---good luck!

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.... the only accessable side of the garage has a pretty good slope to it... maybe 25 degrees? Any mechanized equipment might be tricky navigating through this area. So how many cubic feet can a typical wheel barrow hold and still be light enough to operate? Three? 28 year old son has been doing nothing but lifting weights for the past 4 years and has arms the size of.... well, they're BIG. I'm thnking that he's going to putting those muscles to work here real soon!

So, Dave...what body are you planning on burying THIS time?

Dave, unfortunately your options are limited. A good contractor's wheelbarrow will hold about 6 cubic feet. That means a little more than 4 trips per yard. ( Probably mor like 6 or 7 trips depending on how you fill it.) A cubic foot of concrete weighs about 150 pounds. There is always the option for pumping the concrete, but this is somewhat expensive and would probably end up costing as much as the concrete. So, tell your son that he needs to get ready to fire them guns! :guns Oh, hey, if you don't have one, go spend the money for a good wheelbarrow. You'll be glad you did. I'd hate to hear that the concrete truck pulled up and you came out with a Little Tykes wheelbarrow that holds about a teacup's worth of concrete. "Yeah, come on, fill it up. It'll hold it!" :naughty SPLAT!

Randy,How come I can't reply to Daves reply to my reply to his post? --(I am betting you were able to follow that Randy)--anyway to reply to Daves concern about slope, these can handle a pretty good slope if you only half fill them, If you do this by a hand wheelbarrow I would stay away from the plastic/composite types as they flex bad with concrete and would be a bitch to handle, use a heavy conctractor grade one--again good luck.

"Flysure1" said:
Randy,How come I can't reply to Daves reply to my reply to his post? --(I am betting you were able to follow that Randy)

This software doesn't do a great job of determining who you're replying to within a thread. If you really need to distinguish who you're talking to, try using the "quote" option as I've done here.

use a heavy conctractor grade one

Sub-contractor brother has a dual front wheel heavy duty wheelbarrow. It'll easily transport a couple sq. ft. at a time. How does 1 square foot of concrete weigh 150 lbs.? Really?

Damn, 27 cubic ft. to a cubic yard.... ten trips per yard.... 3, maybe 4 yards total.... = 30-40 wheelbarrow trips!

I'm gonna need a whip or something to keep the youngster moving!

Randy, I'm blowing out the back wall of the man cave to add an 11' wide by 12' deep addition on in order to park sons car in front of mine instead of beside it. I'd like to go deeper than 12', but it'll be more than enough as the existing building is 28' deep. 40 feet can easily accomodate two car lengths. My greenhouse is approx. 16' behind the shop and I really don't feel like moving it.... it's wired and plumbed with running water.

11 x 12 = 132 sqft.... 81 sqft to a cubic yard for a 4" thick slab.... plus a small scale monolithic footing.... (no ground freezing and the walls won't be supporting that much weight).... probably closer to 3 yards than 4..... we'll see after he gets it formed up.

The dual wheeled ones are ok unless plastic/composit----too bad I am not closer, I could probably get a truck back there!--lol

actually I wouldn't try---they leave that up to the driver--I like it when I am delivering rock or sand and they want me to dump it on a hill side!---if the truck didn't turn over the box would likely break off.

"daveSanborn" said:
use a heavy conctractor grade one

Sub-contractor brother has a dual front wheel heavy duty wheelbarrow. It'll easily transport a couple sq. ft. at a time. How does 1 square foot of concrete weigh 150 lbs.? Really?

Damn, 27 cubic ft. to a cubic yard.... ten trips per yard.... 3, maybe 4 yards total.... = 30-40 wheelbarrow trips!

I'm gonna need a whip or something to keep the youngster moving!

Randy, I'm blowing out the back wall of the man cave to add an 11' wide by 12' deep addition on in order to park sons car in front of mine instead of beside it. I'd like to go deeper than 12', but it'll be more than enough as the existing building is 28' deep. 40 feet can easily accomodate two car lengths. My greenhouse is approx. 16' behind the shop and I really don't feel like moving it.... it's wired and plumbed with running water.

11 x 12 = 132 sqft.... 81 sqft to a cubic yard for a 4" thick slab.... plus a small scale monolithic footing.... (no ground freezing and the walls won't be supporting that much weight).... probably closer to 3 yards than 4..... we'll see after he gets it formed up.

Dave, 1 CUBIC foot of concrete weighs about 150 pounds, not a SQUARE foot. Think about it: If a yard of concrete weighs about 4000 pounds, and there's 27 cubic feet to a yard, then a cubic foot weighs about 150 pounds. You are right in the fact that a yard of concrete will cover about 81 SQUARE feet if placed 4 inches thick. Remember, I told you, invest in a good wheelbarrow. Don't bew tryin to hook up with the neighbor kids and borrow their wagons! :jam

I have tried to stress the heavy duty wheel barrow point, I have collapsed several that homeowners have insisted I "fill it up", most dual wheel ones flex too much, especially on a hill--did you drive before getting into sales? if so you can appreciate my post about banging out my drum yesterday---a little bit stiff this morning (and not where the wife would appreciate it!)

No Rod, I didn't drive. But that didn't seem to stop me from gettin my share of gettin in those damn things. I will admit, it's been years since I have done it, but when I did, it was a bitch!

Ron,

Yeah, I meant 1 cubic foot.... anyways, I've wheelbarrowed leftover concrete off the shute before.... and realized REAL QUICK how heavy it was.... I told the driver to "fill 'er up"..... and when I went to lift up the wheelbarrow it barely budged. It took two of us to move that full wheelbarrow.... Lesson learned! Needless to say that subsequent trips were nowhere near full! 150 lbs per cubic foot though? I didn't realize it was THAT heavy.... good info to know!

I wonder if I could use something mechanized.... hmmmm.... I'm still thinking its's too risky with that slope on the side of the garage...

I think I'll hire some of my brothers flunkies to come over when the time comes.... 2 or 3 wheelbarrows running back and forth should make quick work of it.

I'd like to have the cement truck backed right up to the edge of the existing parking pad in front of the garage (without actually putting a wheel on it). On a standard cement truck with all of the extensions installed, how far can the shute reach? Can I request a longer reach truck? Is that an option? If I can get a 25' shute, the distance to the pour site will only be approx 35-40'.

Dave, Rod can verify this, but typically, there is only about 12 feet of chute on the trucks. Some have hung a coal chute ion the end but it must be proped up with a 2X4 or something. Otherwise it will mess up the hydraulics on the chute due to the weight. I'd still look at the option of using a Georgia Buggy.

3 young stout guys can move a lot of concrete pretty fast, make sure they are starting on level ground when you fill them, 1/2 full will probably be plenty on a steep hill, strapping on another chute usually doesn't work out when filling wheelbarrows, a rear discharge truck will not get over 16 feet of reach usually, I am not sure about a front discharge reach if you have those in your area.

Can you build a 30' chute, from the front of your garage to out the back?
You could use some metal roofing panels for the chute and just U-form it in a 2 x 4 structure?
There's a few bucks invested there, but it would make the job go faster and easier.

Can you build a 30' chute, from the front of your garage to out the back?

I envision this not going/ending well.

I'll just use the 12' of truck chute and wheelbarrows. I've already recruited some additional muscle.

I'd love to be able to use a mechanized transport (georgia buggy), but that slope going around the side of the existing garage/shop would probably prevent it. I'll try and get you guys with much more experience than me a couple pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

Back