• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cupertino and Los Gatos/Santa Cruz Mountains.

dodgestang

So I'm posting this because things are starting to look more and more like I might have an opportunity to move forward with an interesting opportunity with a large tech company in Cupertino (I would like to not name them and not have anyone else name them in this thread since it is public....but anyone with half a brain knows who I am talking about).

Anyway my specific quandary is....I've lived in CA before. Live in Livermore and Pleasanton for about a year. Hated it. Not because I had traffic problems...I worked 2 miles from my home. Not really because of the weather...although I did miss snow and seasons. And only slightly because the Mrs. missed her family. The primary reason was....we (Maria and myself) hated...and I mean HATED the 'lifestyle' with everyone poured in shoulder to shoulder in sub-divisions, home owner associations all up in your shit, rules about lawn length, amount of cars you can park on your driveway....and it was FLAT with treeless hills everywhere. In order to even think about making this work a second time I've convinced myself the best choice is the mountains and to live nestled in the red woods. The wife's job "might" be able to go telecommute so she would have that option....while she looked for something local (if she was inclined) but I would pick up a commute on highway 17. The company does offer a bus commute which could make it easier to commute but then I don't really get to drive as much (right now I try to exercise all the cars in my fleet with rides to the office in the nice weather) and i do lose the flexibility of arriving/leaving whenever I want (something that I do cherish at my current role).

So the cliffs notes (to those who already live in CA and have some knowledge here)....living in the mountains and a commute to work....or living in subdivision hell stacked in on top of each other?

A few miles south is Gilroy and surrounding towns, mostly very small towns with lots of farm acreage close to the main freeway. KBMWS lives near there and takes a bus to work. It's similar to what you currently have, Nick, and prices are reasonable with lots of open area. Something to consider...

If you don't mind commuting just a little bit, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos Hills, Monte Sereno and Monta Vista. If you don't mind driving a little more than look into the Santa Cruz mountains, Boulder Creek, Ben Lomond and Felton. I would love to live anywhere in the above mentioned cities with the exception of the three last towns in the Santa Cruz mountains, but that's because I'm a city boy.

I think Abe's on the right track. A couple more suggestions: Woodside (you could hobnob with Neil Young), Portola Valley. The commute via 280 is about the nicest (and least congested) in the bay area.

Frank

I hadn't thought about Gilroy.....does anyone have any input on what 101 up to 280 north into Cupertino looks like?

I can see myself in a place like this ;):
http://www.mysantacruzrealestate.com/li ... -ca-95037/

And even this
http://www.mysantacruzrealestate.com/li ... -ca-95020/

It just becomes a question of how long it takes to commute. I drive 1 hour 10 minutes to work now. That's 62 miles. I know I can't get that same speed in CA times but I am still willing drive an hour and a little to get to the office if it means I can live country.

...but can you afford country? and if so, which one? Country in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, San Martin, Santa Cruz mountains, etc is far cheaper than country in Portola Valley, Woodside, Los Altos Hills. So to me, you first need to decide (assuming you will buy) how much you can afford and then see what areas offer your price range.

Nick:

Great to hear you are seriously considering relocating to our part of the Golden State. As for your question about area, there are a number of options in the Santa Cruz Mtns . I've had friends who lived up there and the scenery is spectacular. However, to enjoy living up there you really need to be a "Mountain" kind of guy. By that I mean power outages during winter storms, snow and ice several times each winter, if you are off the main roads, you are on your own when it comes to keeping the road to your place "open", spotty phone service, in some of the more remote areas ( like Lower Zayante), there is no garbage service and occasionally you need to have water and propane trucked in. On the plus side, the Mountain community is generally pretty cohesive and the local schools are actually quite good (Loma Prieta comes to mind). The commute down the hill from Summit Road is about 20 minutes to Los Gatos along 17. Traffic along 17 can get pretty gnarly when some hotfoot looses it and ricochets like a pinball off of the center divider. If the Mountain lifestyle still appeals to you, look at properties off of Summit Road including, Old San Jose-Soquel Road, Skyland, and Adams Road. If the Mountain lifestyle carries too many compromises for you, there are other options as well. For example, at the extreme southern end of San Jose, there are a number of areas where the rural feeling is present and you are only several miles from the conveniences of "civilization". For example along McKean Road, Casa Loma Road, Bertram Rd, Old Almaden Road, and Uvas Road there are a number of homes on larger acreage. Google these places and see if anything floats your boat. Back when I was involved in real estate development, I had more than a passing familiarity with these places. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Regards, Jeff

P.S. I live in San Jose proper in an older neighborhood (my house is 80+ years old) that has some relatively large lots ( a few are up to an acre) and no homeowners' CC&R's to deal with. Note however, that between City Planning and Code enforcement, there are some restrictions on what you can and can't do but in my neighborhood, we all get along so people tend to mind their own business as long as what you are doing is not directly impacting them in an adverse way.

"cmayna" said:
...but can you afford country? and if so, which one? Country in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, San Martin, Santa Cruz mountains, etc is far cheaper than country in Portola Valley, Woodside, Los Altos Hills. So to me, you first need to decide (assuming you will buy) how much you can afford and then see what areas offer your price range.

I can't afford woodside...but I can afford edge of los gatos MTs and Santa Cruz and points south.

I live in the country now so that is certainly why the mountains seem appealing. Its hard to find turn key 2k sq ft garages with a small 4br 3bath house with a wrap around porch (that still fits my 9 ft pro pool table since no one has basements on the west coast) next to it...so I need 2 acres min and would love more. Something about being able to continue my annual picnics and still do burn outs in my own driveway is appealing if this pans out :thu

"JeffTepper" said:
I live in San Jose proper in an older neighborhood (my house is 80+ years old) that has some relatively large lots ( a few are up to an acre) and no homeowners' CC&R's to deal with. Note however, that between City Planning and Code enforcement, there are some restrictions on what you can and can't do but in my neighborhood, we all get along so people tend to mind their own business as long as what you are doing is not directly impacting them in an adverse way.

As nice as it might be....just can't do subdivisions. I grew up in one, the wife grew up in one....neither one of us ever wants to live in one again.

Here is what I have now:
http://binged.it/zoB23Y

Center of the view from a little over 4 yrs ago when I was building my garage.....if you look close you can see my red ram in the driveway ;)

OK so San Jose proper is not your cup-o-tea....the other locations south of town include a number of ranchettes (5+ acre parcels). Is that more to your liking?

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
First time I've seen an airplane caught in flight--Search the address in Google Maps and zoom out one level.

Frank

I was wondering where the flight path was ;)

"JeffTepper" said:
OK so San Jose proper is not your cup-o-tea....the other locations south of town include a number of ranchettes (5+ acre parcels). Is that more to your liking?

Yes. Much more my cup-o-tea

Nick,
Considering what you have now and your post I'd say you really don't want to do it. To get the house and space you have now would cost big time.

You already stated you and your wife's dislikes and you want the 'seasons' so .......its a hard choice but I think you made it already.

"KBMWRS" said:
Nick,
Considering what you have now and your post I'd say you really don't want to do it. To get the house and space you have now would cost big time.

You already stated you and your wife's dislikes and you want the 'seasons' so .......its a hard choice but I think you made it already.
+1

"KBMWRS" said:
Nick,

Yeah. I am doing a straight line calculation and adding 90% of any bump I get in take home straight to the housing budget and thinking that puts me in the 800-900 price range. I thougth it snowed in the mountains?

"dodgestang" said:
Yeah. I am doing a straight line calculation and adding 90% of any bump I get in take home straight to the housing budget and thinking that puts me in the 800-900 price range. I thougth it snowed in the mountains?
Why would you consider the move to an area you and the wife are not real fans of if you took any economic gain and used it toward the new house? If all the money was spent that way I would be questioning why it made sense. Of course, I am going on the belief you are happy with your present situation.

Besides, making that kind of scratch shouldn't you be required to give most of it to the poor? Oops...wrong thread.

Back