• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EFI Upgrade

Looks like you have the right guy doing the work. Looks good.

Jealous as hell that you can regularly use 98. That's race gas in these parts. I have 93 in my area but lots of folks are limited to 91 and both of those usually are 10% or more ethanol. At that mix ratio you really don't get much from the ethanol other than it's negative attributes as well. :mad:

Looks like you have the right guy doing the work. Looks good.

Jealous as hell that you can regularly use 98. That's race gas in these parts. I have 93 in my area but lots of folks are limited to 91 and both of those usually are 10% or more ethanol. At that mix ratio you really don't get much from the ethanol other than it's negative attributes as well. :mad:
I think we are like you.

Other than Regular, we have Premium which is 95 (RON) which is 91 AKI, and Super which is 98 (RON) which is 93 AKI.

I fill all my cars with Super, the Mustang is no exception, but not all of our stations have it, so in case I'm caught somewhere where Super isn't available, I will still be able to fill the Mustang with Premium 91 AKI and swap the map; that's my goal.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Right so we are done! Car came home. One final issue was when I drove the car out of the shop I got some backfire that didn't happen before when they were testing and dyno tuning the car.

So went back and they inspected it and turned out to be an exhaust leak from the passenger side exhaust manifold. It was a blow off valve sound I was hearing. Causes the Ecu to run rich and dump in more fuel, thus causing the backfire.

So we installed flex sections on downpipes (pix attached). Not a necessity, I know, but more a precaution. Don't want, over time and with use, for the manifold to eventually come loose again and start leaking. Which will cause the oxygen Sensors to read lean, and then it will Dump more fuel in and cause backfires. Not a problem that carb owners have to worry about.

Anyways, drover her last night and tonight, was so nice to get behind that wheel again. So much more responsive it's unbelievable and all old vibrations gone, runs so much happier and smoother. I'm also very happy with the Holley interface/touchscreen, much easier to work with and read than my old FiTech.

Unfort it's really too hot to drive the car now so I'm gonna have to chill on that until after summer. The high outside temps 100-115F) and humidity, even while highway cruising at night I'm in the 185-195F range which is fine, but on inner roads or traffic she's gone over 200, got home and parked tonight she was at 204 then started spitting. Gonna add some motorcraft in the morning and I'm gonna take it easy till after our summer!

JB

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
e06bf0f9b668a58c4b3baf47b0e04f5e.jpg
ab12e38992ef53d691f6406aec567cd7.jpg
60cb2f35d30f241fe18a6c8dd18f42b0.jpg
375a6097dcbb3dd96a79b1537ca0e840.jpg
31bd3e63c16669482c16229a818c27d5.jpg
42534b4d30bd65ef84984e072f2e41ab.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I wonder how much a possible exhaust leak is adding to my over rich conditions at times. I'll be adding some flex sections to my exhaust when I get around to swapping out the headers for a set from FPA. I'll just keep grinding the bottoms of these this summer! :p

Back