• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Eleanor Coupe project history

Craig, whats the wheel and tire size you are using, i like the way they tuck in there! Any clearance issues with the way you did it?

72_08_08_09_9_31_36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!

I didn't realize you had done so much work :wor. You've accomplished some amazing things!! Very good writeup!! I can't get over how good that headliner came out! If I had it to do over again, I know I could install it much better! Anyway, way to go!! :gs
dne'

"lethal289" said:
Craig, whats the wheel and tire size you are using, i like the way they tuck in there! Any clearance issues with the way you did it?

72_08_08_09_9_31_36.jpg
the front wheels are AR TTII 16x7" with 4" BS and 205/50/16 tires. I have the 1" Shelby drop, Granada spindles and a quarter of a coil cut off on the stock front springs. I did have to "roll" the lip a little with a rubber mallet on the front fenders but otherwise no issues. If I had to do it over I might go with a little more BS and a bigger tire for ground clearance. Thanks

Re: OMG!

"Dne'" said:
I didn't realize you had done so much work :wor. You've accomplished some amazing things!! Very good writeup!! I can't get over how good that headliner came out! If I had it to do over again, I know I could install it much better! Anyway, way to go!! :gs
dne'
Thanks, your project is quite the build-up too! I'd love to see a thread of all your hard work and progress! especially since it's not GO! :gobp

I didn't build a trailer queen or even a show car, it's a driver. It has also been on a tight budget. I do take it to small shows and cruise-in type things. The biggest show was the 45th in Birmingham. I have a few pics from shows and stuff.
photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

Liberty_Park.jpg

my car with my dad's
photodisplay.php

passing my wife! (It's not a PT Cruiser but it is a Dodge!)
photodisplay.php

since putting it back together after paint, I've tried to drive whenever possible. As you can imagine, there has been a few incidents or bugs to work out. Here are a few in no particular order.

Driving from Barber to Homewood during the Mustang 45th, I lost a couple bolts from the left brake dust sheild. The sheild rubbed against the rotor and made a horrible grinding noise. I couldn't fix it on the side of the road so we continued to Homewood. I didn't have a lot of tools with me to pull the caliper and rotor so I billy rigged it with a cable tie.
72_29_04_09_8_06_12_0.jpg

72_29_04_09_8_06_12_1.jpg

When I got it home I fixed it right.
72_11_08_09_5_00_43.jpg

one day after picking up my son from school, my lard butt must have been too much for the 40 year old seats and it broke going up my street.
72_07_04_09_5_21_05_2.jpg

I was decided I would have to weld it back together, but I had a set of seats from a parts car laying around. I thought maybe it would be better to swap the seat cover. When I stripped it down I found that it had been repaired. Appearantly Ford had a fix for this problem. A seat repair pin D7ZZ-69618-C47A. I just had to drill a hole and use the self tapping screw.
72_07_04_09_5_21_05_3.jpg

72_07_04_09_5_21_04_1.jpg

at one point I even broke some of the rear studs on the right rear.
72_15_05_09_7_32_10.jpg

I also cracked the rotor in the process.
72_16_05_09_8_12_46_0.jpg

In this photo you can see a hole in the caliper bracket, I had to drill this in order to get the new studs in. I could have had the bearing pressed off, replaced the studs and then have it pressed back on but I didn't want to do all that. So I put the axle in my drill press and started drilling. The drill went pretty far thru but then chipped. I reground it and began again, and it chipped again. Then I used a $40 step drill which proceeded to snap off. I had to finish it with a dremmel. What a PIA!
72_16_05_09_8_12_46_1.jpg

I also had this nagging intermitten blinking of the brake lights. I burned up the original turn signal switch before I figured it out. I had a 68 parts car that a new NOS switch. I used the TS switch from it to replace my fried original. The plug ends are different 67 to 68, but everything else was the same.
72_13_02_09_8_33_40.jpg

I added relays to the headlights thinking that the halogen bulbs were overloading the headlight switch.
72_10_03_09_5_12_08_1.jpg

I changed the dimmer switch and headlight switch, still had the problem.
It turned out that the added bulbs for the Cougar tail lights were the source of my problem. I added relays to the brake/TS lights and problem was solved.
72_06_05_09_3_43_20.jpg

What in the world is this greasy stuff on your axle while repairing your brake shield? Ewwww!

"Midlife" said:
What in the world is this greasy stuff on your axle while repairing your brake shield? Ewwww!

I sneezed.

"Midlife" said:

I think you called it.....grease from the front spindle/bearings.

just a little update...
Recently I attended the Good Guys show at Beach Bend Raceway Park. They have a world famous dragstrip, circle track, amuesment park and campground! What could be better? I borrowed my dad's F250 and camper for the weekend.
72_18_10_09_3_35_25_0.jpg

I just sold my old Tubular Automotive headers so I had a little spending money for the Stang. I wanted a cold air intake but with the low profile Eleanor hood and the big 385 series Big Block I didn't think I had room for anything. I had seen the Spectre trailer at the Good Guys show in Nashville back in July but didn't have the funds for anything. The Spectre crew had a vendor area set-up again at Beach bend with their rig and I stopped to talk with them. They said I could take some stuff to see if it would fit or bring the car over to their site. I brought it over and they went to work.
Option #1 - low profile air box & flex hose ~$150
72_18_10_09_3_35_26_1.jpg

Option # 2 - they temporarily hooked up some various bends and straight peices to mock up the tube that will be welded and polished ~ $350
72_18_10_09_3_35_26_2.jpg

72_18_10_09_3_35_26_3.jpg

The final product will be all welded and polished, they were great and spent a lot of time trying differnt things. I was impressed with the way they were willing to help!

Elsewhere on the site is another great guy, John over at ORP. He set me up with some roller perches just because I had made a comment about not having any money for the Mustang cuz I had to buy a trumpet for my son to join band, here is the link to ORP roller perch install
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,2746.0.html

Utterly amazing!

Really amazing, what a nice neverending story! Keep up the Fantastic work!!
dne'

Re: Utterly amazing!

"Dne'" said:
...neverending story! ...
neverending is right! Thanks for the compliments. Can't wait to see your Stang all done. Hope you're having fun with the 57 too! My wife wants a project of her own but we just can't afford it right now. We have fun dreaming and talking about our choices anyway!

Thank you soo much for adding the link to the roller perches write up.

Really great build thread, any new work done to the car lately? Truly inspirational to see all your work, everytime I start getting a little frustrated working on Fred, I can always resort back to the members build thread to get that little boost of hope.

Thanks again for sharing your journey with us all.

"abrahamfh" said:
Thank you soo much for adding the link to the roller perches write up.

Really great build thread, any new work done to the car lately? Truly inspirational to see all your work, everytime I start getting a little frustrated working on Fred, I can always resort back to the members build thread to get that little boost of hope.

Thanks again for sharing your journey with us all.
Thanks!
nothing new I can think of. I have a 67 coupe Dave gave me that I want to make into a trailer and I've been thinking I would make a steel hood by extending a stock hood. Mostly just driving it every chance I get!!!
I did start making a "mini-me" version...
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,5527.0.html

hang in there, the hard work does pay off!

**edit**
link to ORP roller perch install
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,2746.0.html

I bought some wider rear wheels and new tires about 6 or 7 weeks ago, the rims finally came in (had to be custom made). They are TTII 17x9.5" with 5.5 BS and tires are 275/40/VR17's
old
index.php

new
index.php

index.php

Tires look nice.

Need a side view of the wheels.

Why is your mustang playing chicken with a school bus?

That's my wife's ride! she's rollin' on 22.5"'s!
actually she brought it home to clean it up. The kids start school next week and she is a trainer/driver for our school district and the county. It's a new bus to her (about 3 years old) and was left pretty dirty.
Anyway... side view
index.php

index.php

index.php

Back