• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electric Power Assist Steering on my 67

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update it. I have had the EPAS for about a year now. I have been really happy with it. It has made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. I have not had any issues with the product whatsoever. In fact recently I was hearing a noise, I couldn't identify the source. I took things apart to make sure nothing in the joints or connections was loose. All was fine. After I put it all back together I still heard the noise. It was a mechanical clunk kind of sound. I was thinking maybe the unit was failing. So I emailed Geoff, the guy whom I spoke to when I bought it. I asked if he had any complaints. This was on a Sunday. He replied to my email Monday morning with his number and asked me to call him. So I did. We discussed it and I asked if there is a problem, could I just purchase the drive part and not the whole kit again. He said he would warranty anything but wanted me to check some things. Anyway, long story short, my steering gearbox was moving a little and I couldn't tell until I made a video to send him. He also saw where I had installed the double D bar too far into the joint at the gearbox and advised that I shorten it to be flush. So I tightened the gearbox and fixed the bar and the noise was gone.
The point I guess is that even before knowing that the problem was on my end, he offered to warranty his parts if we found a problem and he advised me on things to look at. I am very happy with the product but more happy with the service!

Thanks for the update Craig. I pulled my 67 convertible from a deep slumber and decided to get it back on the road. The one thing I don't like is the manual steering. I am going to take a serious look at this system.

Thanks for the update Craig. I pulled my 67 convertible from a deep slumber and decided to get it back on the road. The one thing I don't like is the manual steering. I am going to take a serious look at this system.
cool, I'm not a paid spokesperson (but I play one on TV)... but seriously I only promote it because I had a good experience. I know it's nice to have some word of mouth when spending a chunk of change on new technology!

Craig will this setup work on a manual car?
I hope so because eventually I will be converting to a TKO. As far as under the hood, there is no issues at all. Where it could get tight is the clutch pedal. But from what I can tell on my car I am pretty sure there will be no interference. I clocked the motor at like 10 o'clock to maybe 11 o'clock. It looks like the motor drive unit will be "above" the pivot point for the clutch pedal.
DSCN0549a.jpg

one flaw or poor design point is the lack of bracing. The unit counts on the dash mount to keep the unit from trying to rotate the opposite way when you steer. I originally mounted the unit as directed and could see the whole thing move when driving. (I had my instrument cluster out getting my tach redone). I didn't like that so I fabricated a bracket using a muffler clamp style C clamp to clamp onto the motor housing and some aluminum bar that I heated and bent to form a brace to attach to existing holes in the brake pedal support. It's hard to see it all but here is a picture of it installed. What you cant really see is the clamp. You can see one end with a nut on it to the left. The bar was 1/4" x 1" and it holds it steady now.
IMG_2515.jpg

Yes this set up will work on a manual car.
9e9436e54809ca2a863d929e1a81489c.jpg

but my unit is from a Saturn vue. I have about 80$ invested so far but I gotta order the controller from here http://epowersteering.com/

My view from the seat
47be6294e19c45e17374a354d6614739.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
that's up to you. It won't bother me if you add it here but since you are doing more work, you may want your own thread. But either way is cool.

Just saw this write up. I assume you still love the EPAS? Any issues? Also What size alternator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back