• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fair housing

blue65coupe

County north of NYC to market housing to nonwhites
By JIM FITZGERALD (AP) – 1 day ago

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The suburban county just north of New York City agreed Monday to create hundreds of affordable homes in heavily white communities and encourage nonwhites to move in.
The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, which brokered the settlement with Westchester County, called it a landmark agreement that could have far-reaching national consequences. Officials said it signaled a new commitment to fair housing by the Obama administration.
"We're clearly messaging other jurisdictions across the country that there has been a significant change in the Department of Housing and Urban Development and we're going to ask them to pursue similar goals as well," said deputy secretary Ron Sims. He said Westchester "can serve as a model for building strong, inclusive, sustainable communities in suburban areas across the entire United States."
Westchester has dense urban areas but is best known for such suburban bedroom communities as Scarsdale and Chappaqua, where former President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton live. Most of those villages are heavily white.
The agreement, filed and approved in federal court Monday, settled a $180 million lawsuit brought by the Anti-Discrimination Center of Metro New York. The lawsuit alleged that Westchester failed to build affordable housing and reduce segregation in some of the county's more affluent communities.
"Westchester can no longer hide from the ugly reality of continuing residential segregation," said Craig Gurian, the anti-discrimination center's executive director, after the settlement was announced.
The county's Legislature must approve the agreement.
A federal judge ruled in February that when Westchester sought federal housing and development funds, it failed to analyze, as required, how race could affect access to fair housing.
Westchester admitted no wrongdoing, but the ruling apparently spurred the county to involve the federal government and settle with the Justice Department when it intervened.
Westchester said it will build or acquire 750 apartments or houses in its towns and villages in the next seven years. Of that number, 630 are to be built in neighborhoods that are less than 3 percent black and 7 percent Hispanic.
The county's population is just less than 1 million.
Whites cannot be excluded from buying or renting the homes, but the agreement calls for Westchester to market them throughout the county and in nearby areas with large nonwhite populations. That includes New York City, which abuts Westchester along the Bronx line.
The agreement also calls for Westchester to pay the federal government $21.6 million, which the government will then return to the county to help pay for the housing. The county will add $30 million to its capital budget for housing. An additional $10.9 million will be paid to the anti-discrimination center, its lawyers and the government.
Westchester's deputy county executive, Susan Tolchin, said the agreement recognizes that the county does not control local zoning and the monitor would be permitted to "give us some flexibility about the (seven-year) deadline."
County Executive Andrew Spano said the county has built more than 1,700 units of affordable housing in the last decade, but some communities have resisted affordable housing with zoning and other regulations.
"We're looking for new, innovative, creative ways of doing this with acquiescence from those communities," he said. "We'd rather not do it by litigation."
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Sounds like my old neighborhood. My folks still live there and it's pretty far out. A while back HUD stepped in and put a bunch of houses on the other end of the street and in a subdivision right behind my folks land. Within 6 months, the street was a disaster. People started noticing things being stolen right off their front porch. We never locked the doors or worried, until then. We started target practicing in the back yard, just to let any punks know that this street was well armed and wouldn't take any shit. My brother has his bike stolen later on. My grandfather(ex-shipbuilder and Korea vet) and my mother were walking and saw some punk of darker completion riding it. My grandfather promptly snatched his off of it, literally, and walked the bike home. Shit went down hill from there.
There's a reason why folks leave the city. Now that HUD stepped in and decided on who should be living there, I see an abundance of for sale signs. Others will leave in droves after time. Then a once nice neighborhood will become another ghetto. Nothing racial about it, I've seen this first hand, back home and here.

Happens every time you give people shit and not make them earn it. Starts as a child and just gets worse from there. Race, color, religion has nothing to do with it.

Sounds like a good reason to stay as a full time RVer......I can change neighbors each day if I want too......

I plan on moving out to the damn boonies in a year or so. I want away from everything that resembles civilization. Need lots of land. Plan on planting a massive garden and shooting multiple high powered rifles.

"Snuffleupagus" said:
I plan on moving out to the damn boonies in a year or so. I want away from everything that resembles civilization. Need lots of land. Plan on planting a massive garden and shooting multiple high powered rifles.
and then you dont even have to worry about cleaning up after your dong!

"AzPete" said:
To get that combination of letters, you had to be slapping the keyboard. :bash

I rest my thumbs on the spacebar when I type, which happens to be extremely close the "n". Of course, it could also have been a parapraxis.

Any damn way, back to the subject. To hell with HUD and their homes.

ThreadDirection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Snuffleupagus" said:
I rest my thumbs on the spacebar when I type, which happens to be extremely close the "n". Of course, it could also have been a parapraxis.

So, you wanted to hit the space bar between typing the o and g in dog? That excuse is :guns full of holes. I tend to believe your second reason.......

Sure isn't the same in my area any more. My folks moved to this area when I was five (almost six) back in '78. Back then we never locked a door.

Since, HUD built houses, they have built malls, etc that bring in hourly wage earners living in the cheap HUD apartments and so forth. It got even worse when the storm hit New Orleans. A lot of folks left there and relocated to here. A friend of mine at work has a grandson that went to a high school a couple of exits up the freeway. He was fine there his first two years. But after the storm the school got so bad due to some that were relocated that they had to take him out of that school and he finished up in private school. They got tired of him either having to fight for his life and / or getting his ass kicked or getting mugged for his money pretty much every day.

Here is an interesting crime report the local sheriff put out about a month ago.

http://www.thewoodlandsassociations.org/files/July132009RobberiesPressRelease.pdf

Needless to say, I am planning to get my CHL Asap. But even without a CHL I don't go much of anywhere without my pistol on me anymore. Thanks to a change in Texas law a while back it is legal to have a concealed weapon in your car even without a CHL.

Hell, my pistol is sitting right next to me on the couch at the moment and any more when I am sleeping at night it is always within easy reach even though we have a alarm. I figure the average response time to a 911 call is at least 10 plus minutes. In home invasion type situations that makes the cops at least 8 minutes or more late. An alarm company is even worse because they call you on several numbers before they get around to calling 911. At that point you're already dead if you aren't able to defend your own home / family.

My CCW is in the mail, should have it in a few weeks. I got a 45 day "wait" period while they do all the paperwork and checks. It's gotten progressively shittier around here. Of course, Memphis has never been a shining example of civil obedience.

Ironic, as this is no different to what lead to the housing disaster recently. Give people a home who cannot afford or who don't earn the right to own a home, and it all goes to shit. Move people into a nice area who cannot afford to live there, or who don't earn the right to live there, and the area goes to shit. When will they learn that owning a home is not a right, it's a well earned privilege. Geeez, you'd think they would have learned after Freddie-Crack/Fannie-Gay.

This entitlement and special favors from the gov't shit really pisses me off. I can guarantee that within 2 years, that whole area will be a complete shithole.
You're exactly right Ryan. They haven't learned from the very thing that caused this economic clusterfuck. Nor are they ever gonna learn. It's another way to win votes.

This part really irritates me.
The agreement, filed and approved in federal court Monday, settled a $180 million lawsuit brought by the Anti-Discrimination Center of Metro New York. The lawsuit alleged that Westchester failed to build affordable housing and reduce segregation in some of the county's more affluent communities.
"Westchester can no longer hide from the ugly reality of continuing residential segregation," said Craig Gurian, the anti-discrimination center's executive director, after the settlement was announced.
Well, lets see. The "white flight" is usually caused by thugs moving into a neighborhood that they can't afford anyway. They turn it to shit and people move. The houses lose value and others of their ilk move in. Meanwhile, the folks who could afford a decent house, move to a better place. And the cycle continues. I watched this happen in my hometown for years. I went to a very good school with very few problems. Then the city began encroaching on the county districts. HUD started planting houses everywhere. More of the undesirable punks, thugs, and gangsta wannabes move in. Now, many of the really good areas back when I was younger, are not rundown, crime infested, poverty ridden, shitholes.
This is the outcome of entitlement programs. They're like a virus. Entitle person, person learns how to cheat the system, person breeds, offspring cheat the same system, system is overloaded, gov't throws more money and resources at them, rinse and repeat. This shit has been happening for decades, and now you have generations of these entitled minded, parasitic, wastes of time. I want to see ALL programs of this nature done away with. No special favors, no more affirmative action, no more "but I'm (enter random sexual preference bullshit here) and I'm a victim, no more " I have 36 babies and no husband or job and I need money", no more tax breaks for stupid shit, no more pandering to illegal aliens, no more anchor baby bullshit. I want it all gone. If you don't make/have made a contribution to the tax pool, you don't get SHIT! If you're here illegally and need a hospital, fine, they'll patch you up, let you stabilize, then send you illegal ass back to wherever the fuck you came from. You're not a natural born/legalized/legalization in progress citizen, get the fuck out and quit wasting my damn money. If I have to work my ass off to put food on my table and a roof over my head, you should too.
Gov't ran social entitlement programs are a fucking joke and a cancer on this nation.
Ok, I'm done with my rant.

Best thing I ever did was buy the house I grew up in. 8 acres with some woods and off the road a little. Have some "shit" through the woods but there is enough "noise" that we never get bothered. I make sure to keep it that way. Had a guy "walking the creek" one time and after a 2 minute discussion he decided it was not a wise choice. We have our alarm system monitoring set up on immediate dispatch. Of course, the only ones that will immediately dispatch is the fire department. (My basement smoke detector is really sensitive, cranked the car one time outside and the fire department showed up...seriously) Sheriffs are another issue. Anyway, as a backup, the guy that owns the land I lease to hunt has 300+ acres and has repeatedly told me if I ever want any he'd sell some to me at what he paid for it years ago. He threw out 15 acres at $700/acre during a conversation one time. Told the wife I'm gonna talk to him about buying it just to secure for the future.

"monkeystash" said:
Ironic, as this is no different to what lead to the housing disaster recently. Give people a home who cannot afford or who don't earn the right to own a home, and it all goes to shit. Move people into a nice area who cannot afford to live there, or who don't earn the right to live there, and the area goes to shit. When will they learn that owning a home is not a right, it's a well earned privilege. Geeez, you'd think they would have learned after Freddie-Crack/Fannie-Gay.

yeah, some people never learn. I don't understand the liberal entitlement mind set at all.

I went to High school with a bunch of rich spoiled brats and saw the same thing. They were handed a car from "Daddy" so they didn't respect it and trashed it. I worked for mine and tended to take good care of it. I knew if something broke I was shelling out the $$$ to fix it or spending hours in the heat doing it myself after spending $$$ on parts.

When you are spending your money or earning something with your blood, sweat and tears you tend to respect it more.

Exactly why when my boys hit about 13 or 14 I am going to go ahead and buy their first car but it's going to be a fixer upper. I figure if they spend two or three years fixing it up while they wait to get their license they will learn that parts are expensive and turning wrenches in the Texas heat sucks sometimes.

I worked with an African American in the late 70s in Dallas, TX. He was a Vietnam vet, well educated, and was making good money. He wanted to move his family out of south Dallas to the suburbs so his kids could go to better schools. He put down a deposit on house in the suburbs (Garland). When the "neighbors" found out a black family was moving in, the house was vandalized with grafiitti, epithets, etc. Rather than put his family through it, he lost his deposit. The government's solutions maybe faulty, but sometimes their motives are legitimate.

The government should have no involvement in this. Take color completely out of it. This is "entitlement". I've had all colors of neighbors in my life. Some of the trashiest were white and some of the cleanest were hispanic. Take out the "70's Dallas" incident and look at the story. If I can afford to move into a "nicer" area, why in the hell should someone be "given" a chance to live in the same area that can't afford it? You don't see me demanding a $100,000 house being built in a million dollar neighborhood do you? What would happen if I did? The government's "motives" should be to protect the country and the people. Not make everyone "equal". I don't care if the plan involved "marketing toward low income whites". This is bullshit no matter which way you spread it. I would work 3 jobs and live off Ramen noodles if I had to. Screw those who won't. Remember, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Period.

Back