• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finishing touches

tarafied1

Well-Known Member
well, getting ready for Power Tour. I got a few things done. I installed the parking/TS lights in the brake duct holes and painted the tail light trim black.
72-200511113015-81141931.jpeg

72-200511113127-81171539.jpeg

72-200511113345-81192373.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

apollard

Active Member
Man, that is looking good. I wasn't sure how the black taillight panel would go, but it really works.
 

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
Looks awesome!

I missed it somewhere I guess but what did you end up doing about the gear whine?
 

tarafied1

Well-Known Member
"Horseplay" said:
Looks awesome!

I missed it somewhere I guess but what did you end up doing about the gear whine?
turn up the radio

actually I had the pre-load reset on the pinion. They said it was loose not too tight. It still makes noise. I suppose the backlash may be off but I can live with it. It was a diff I got from Rick and I think he said it made noise when he had it. My 2.79 carrier is shot (which I wanted to run for Power Tour) and I didn't have time or money to rebuild it so I put in the 3.73's.
My wife is going to have a heart attack about the mpg's!
 

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
"tarafied1" said:
turn up the radio

actually I had the pre-load reset on the pinion. They said it was loose not too tight. It still makes noise. I suppose the backlash may be off but I can live with it. It was a diff I got from Rick and I think he said it made noise when he had it. My 2.79 carrier is shot (which I wanted to run for Power Tour) and I didn't have time or money to rebuild it so I put in the 3.73's.
My wife is going to have a heart attack about the mpg's!
Yeah, this is not the best of times to be installing a gear set like that but at least you'll be having fun.
 

tarafied1

Well-Known Member
yeah, 3500+ miles! at over $4 (for premium).
But I got about 16mpg last year with the 2.79's and I got about 9mpg with the 4.11's I have so I hope I get at least 10mpg and it will only be an extra $400 or so in gas. Still a lot but it's our vacation. My wife booked almost all the hotel using my reward points so gas and food are our only expense. I figure about $1400 in gas and couple hundred for food for 10 days of the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Craig, if she complains about the poor mileage, that just gives you an "out" to do some further mods to the car :roll :bowdown


You got to spend money to save money! BTW, the car is looking mighty fine :thu
 
I hate to say it Craig, but I'm glad its still making noise, at least I know it wasnt something else in my car causing the noise..... It was rebuilt but made that noise the whole time I had it in the car before I swapped to the posi unit, a whole 150 miles or so..... Maybe it will stop once you get it broke in some more
 

tarafied1

Well-Known Member
Thanks guys for the compliments. And yes I will be pushing her to let me put a 5 or 6 speed in it!
Rick, I'm glad you confirmed it. I was worried I screwed it up! I have been driving it every chance I get to make sure it's okay. It seems to be getting better or I'm getting used to it...
 

tarafied1

Well-Known Member
thank you, thank you, thank you. I built it to satisfy my taste but it sure feels good when others like it too.
sometimes I look at it and I can't believe it's mine. I have had it going on 21 years and it's still not done!
 

S8NS 289

Member
Beautiful, :weas! I wish i could tag along on the HRPT, i WILL be there next year, 2.79 don't sound too bad now lol, maybe i should do a 4cyl. cummins conversion too? :confu
 

tarafied1

Well-Known Member
"S8NS 289" said:
Beautiful, :weas! I wish i could tag along on the HRPT, i WILL be there next year, 2.79 don't sound too bad now lol, maybe i should do a 4cyl. cummins conversion too? :confu
I wish you guys could come too. It's so much fun I can't describe It sucks the 2.79 blew out before the trip but I'm glad it did before and not during. Last year a guy had a Chevelle with a Duramax turbo diesel. I think that would be pretty slick.
"RyanG85" said:
Looks awesome Craig. Amazing how a few small details make such a big difference.
yes, the little changes have made a big difference. Thanks
 
Top