• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finishing touches

tarafied1

well, getting ready for Power Tour. I got a few things done. I installed the parking/TS lights in the brake duct holes and painted the tail light trim black.
72-200511113015-81141931.jpeg

72-200511113127-81171539.jpeg

72-200511113345-81192373.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that is looking good. I wasn't sure how the black taillight panel would go, but it really works.

Looks awesome!

I missed it somewhere I guess but what did you end up doing about the gear whine?

"Horseplay" said:
Looks awesome!

I missed it somewhere I guess but what did you end up doing about the gear whine?
turn up the radio

actually I had the pre-load reset on the pinion. They said it was loose not too tight. It still makes noise. I suppose the backlash may be off but I can live with it. It was a diff I got from Rick and I think he said it made noise when he had it. My 2.79 carrier is shot (which I wanted to run for Power Tour) and I didn't have time or money to rebuild it so I put in the 3.73's.
My wife is going to have a heart attack about the mpg's!

"tarafied1" said:
turn up the radio

actually I had the pre-load reset on the pinion. They said it was loose not too tight. It still makes noise. I suppose the backlash may be off but I can live with it. It was a diff I got from Rick and I think he said it made noise when he had it. My 2.79 carrier is shot (which I wanted to run for Power Tour) and I didn't have time or money to rebuild it so I put in the 3.73's.
My wife is going to have a heart attack about the mpg's!
Yeah, this is not the best of times to be installing a gear set like that but at least you'll be having fun.

yeah, 3500+ miles! at over $4 (for premium).
But I got about 16mpg last year with the 2.79's and I got about 9mpg with the 4.11's I have so I hope I get at least 10mpg and it will only be an extra $400 or so in gas. Still a lot but it's our vacation. My wife booked almost all the hotel using my reward points so gas and food are our only expense. I figure about $1400 in gas and couple hundred for food for 10 days of the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Craig, if she complains about the poor mileage, that just gives you an "out" to do some further mods to the car :roll :bowdown

You got to spend money to save money! BTW, the car is looking mighty fine :thu

I hate to say it Craig, but I'm glad its still making noise, at least I know it wasnt something else in my car causing the noise..... It was rebuilt but made that noise the whole time I had it in the car before I swapped to the posi unit, a whole 150 miles or so..... Maybe it will stop once you get it broke in some more

Thanks guys for the compliments. And yes I will be pushing her to let me put a 5 or 6 speed in it!
Rick, I'm glad you confirmed it. I was worried I screwed it up! I have been driving it every chance I get to make sure it's okay. It seems to be getting better or I'm getting used to it...

thank you, thank you, thank you. I built it to satisfy my taste but it sure feels good when others like it too.
sometimes I look at it and I can't believe it's mine. I have had it going on 21 years and it's still not done!

Beautiful, :weas! I wish i could tag along on the HRPT, i WILL be there next year, 2.79 don't sound too bad now lol, maybe i should do a 4cyl. cummins conversion too? :confu

"S8NS 289" said:
Beautiful, :weas! I wish i could tag along on the HRPT, i WILL be there next year, 2.79 don't sound too bad now lol, maybe i should do a 4cyl. cummins conversion too? :confu
I wish you guys could come too. It's so much fun I can't describe It sucks the 2.79 blew out before the trip but I'm glad it did before and not during. Last year a guy had a Chevelle with a Duramax turbo diesel. I think that would be pretty slick.
"RyanG85" said:
Looks awesome Craig. Amazing how a few small details make such a big difference.
yes, the little changes have made a big difference. Thanks

Back