• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

For the Entertainment of Others, a Little Game

I've got to run out today and will be offline so in the interest of not keeping those of you involved in suspense I will provide the answer at 8:00 am CST or about 25 minutes. To make things interesting, I will send to the first guy with the correct answer, prior to my posting the cause, a car themed prize of some sort. Come on guys. This is after all STANGFIX. We are supposed be the best of the best at this stuff.

This?
853267c13cff13aa4946b4219a1ca0c3.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Dip Stick tube plug.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Yep, on later 90's blocks (not sure when it happened) Ford moved the oil dipstick location to the driver's side of the block from the age old standard timing cover spot. It is nestled way down low on the angled portion a couple inches beneath the freeze plugs. Looking down at the block as it sits in a car you can't see it. Worse, it hides directly behind the number 7 exhaust tube of my headers. Apparently, the plug I installed when building the engine (I used a timing cover with a dipstick) now almost a year and a half ago decided to leave. The result being that whenever crankcase pressures get high enough (think under acceleration) this little open hole becomes a tiny oil pump shooting little bursts of black gold right into the BACKSIDE of a header tube. So as I'm moving along the smoke blows out the back as I saw in the mirror.

After I saw the missing plug with my camera, I jacked the car up to crawl underneath for a better look. As it was, I still couldn't get a good angle to see anything without using the camera. There was no real oil reside anywhere to be seen. It was burning up on contact with the super hot header leaving nothing as a clue since I couldn't get an angle to even see where it was landing! Talk about perfect scenario (in a bad way).

Ended up having to remove the header to gain access to install a new plug so even the fix was a pain in the ass. Drove in the new plug and created a nice JB Weld "cap" on top to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I tell you I was losing my mind on this one. I had plain forgot about this hole since it was the first time I had ever used this newer vintage of a block. You can bet I will never forget. I told this tale on myself to hopefully save others from such a nightmare in the future.

PATRICK, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you your prize!

Let me guess...cookies.

So the question begs, how the hell were you building normal oil pressure? Seems like it would have least been low.

I remember having to plug that on my block, but I thought it was on the passenger side.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Let me guess...cookies.

So the question begs, how the hell were you building normal oil pressure? Seems like it would have least been low.
Crankcase pressure is separate from the pressure in the oiling system where the gauge takes its reading. My oil pressure never faltered a bit during all this.

Darnit. I twigged to it at post #19. Then scrolled through the rest of the posts REALLY fast to see if I was first. Too late. :)

Late to the party, but I had the exact same problem when we first put the 65 on the road. You should have called me Terry, I could have saved you minutes of frustration!

Had I not known the problem based on my experience I would have guessed you let Mark near your engine during the build.

Late to the party, but I had the exact same problem when we first put the 65 on the road. You should have called me Terry, I could have saved you minutes of frustration!

Had I not known the problem based on my experience I would have guessed you let Mark near your engine during the build.
I did call Mark. I figured if anyone knew how to deduce a blown engine he'd be the guy! Just like here, he went line by line of all the possibles. Had us both shaking our heads. If only I had known about your trials last week!

That's interesting, I always assumed it was one big pressure chamber...for the most part.
It's a spacial volume thing. All the oil passages throughout the engine are quite small in actuality. The oil pumps enough volume to keep it full and then the pressure behind it builds it up to what you see on the gauge. in the vast openness of the pan area and exposed lower block very little pressure builds. The better your piston rings seal you get a touch more pressure down there which is the reason engines need crankcase ventilation to keep it low enough not to hurt itself fighting it. During this whole ordeal one concern was that I had a broken oil control ring allowing oil to get past and into the combustion area. This could also allow combustion pressures into the pan which could cause oil to blow through the PCV system into the intake as well. That's why at one point I did this to see what was a happening.
IMG_3749.jpg

So my engine is now a closed system...catch can plumbed from the rocker covers...no PCV, and no baffle on the driver rear bung (not good). My first event was the Mid-America Shelby event at Tulsa (Hallett @ Jennings) last month. Four twenty minute sessions. I changed the oil yesterday and drained the scavenge tank. Collected about three table spoons of oil. I expected worse.

Back