• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

cool, I have had mine for years now and I have no issues. I made one for my dad's 66 and he too hasn't had any issues. I have lost track of who all I made these for but that part the guys are using on the 69 forum looks pretty cool and maybe easier to do.

Somewhere around here I did a thread when I modified mine. I used a similar part as on the 69 thread, welding it into a '70 neck tube to go with the tank I installed. It works well. Having the smaller hole with the flapper not only prevents "splashback" but also kind of holds the nozzle in place so its not flopping around. Something to keep in mind that others rarely mention is that you need to allow for air in the tank to escape as you pump in fuel. The faster the fuel flows in the more air is pushed out. If you don't design it to have enough vent volume you can run into problems with the fuel backing up and at minimum triggering the pump nozzle to shut off. Worst you get fuel spitting back out.

I've been through a few tanks of gas so far and all is good. ;)

Here's a few pics. Depth of the insert is import as well to function correctly and hold the nozzle. You can take a couple measurements of a newer car and a gas pump nozzle to figure things out.
filler1.jpg filler2.jpg filler3.jpg

much more factory looking mod! I recall seeing that now. And I did/do put a vent/drainback hole and baffle on mine. I can fill at full blast and auto shut-off with no splashback. Also the smaller hole does as you described and holds the nozzle so I don't have to hold onto it. While your mod looks a whole lot better I have been to a lot of gas stations with no issues so I probably won't bother to change it. If I were to make another I might consider doing it like the one you did. My 72 pickup for example could benefit from this mod. It flows fine and has a good angle for holding the nozzle but it splashes all over if I let it auto shut-off.

6 of one half a dozen of another...however that saying goes. It's all the same really. I just happened to stumble onto that part when sourcing out my new fuel tank. Either way you have to section the fuel neck and weld the pieces in. In the end, both mods do the same thing.

I sprayed an etching primer followed by a rattle can topcoat on the exterior portions following each stage of welding (piece to flange and then the filler tube to it). Internally the exposed union is above the point of any fuel contact but not really accessible to spray anything onto. Instead I simply used my finger to smear a light coating of grease to prevent any rust or corrosion. I did this quite some time ago and everything still looks like the day I did it so no worries.

Thanks for the information. With the Cougar I have a regular twist on cap behind the fuel door. I think I may be able to trim of the twist on cap grooves and put the filler neck insert directly in the end of my filler neck without cutting it and switch my cap to a screw on directly into the insert. Is there a specific depth you think the insert needs to be set at or do you think I would be okay with it inserted directly into the end?

I appreciate your feedback.

there is a vent hole in the filler nozzle, it senses when the pressure increases and that's how the auto shut-off works. When the pressure increases rapidly it kicks off. That hole needs to be past the flapper to work correctly. I set my "plate" about an inch past the flange of the filler neck.

We had a guy that crushed the OD of a standard fuel neck filler and made a kit: 1965-70 Mustang and Cougar Fuel neck Filler kit. Its on 69Stang.com. Here is a link to it- look on page 4 to get to the developed kit, but you will probably need to join the forum to view?
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.ph...ller-mods/&page=4&tab=comments#comment-205360
The advantage of this method is that you don't need to cut and weld the filler tube, or use hoses like my method.

there is a vent hole in the filler nozzle, it senses when the pressure increases and that's how the auto shut-off works. When the pressure increases rapidly it kicks off. That hole needs to be past the flapper to work correctly. I set my "plate" about an inch past the flange of the filler neck.
Well then I think I might be good because that filler neck insert looks to be about 1-1/4" deep so the 7/8" hole and flapper will be that far from the end. I ordered the parts last night including a replacement filler neck from WCCC so I will see what i'm dealing with once all arrives.

I can see the forum but not the pics, but it sounds like a great way to do it. I know plating would be best for the commercial/long term use but I just painted mine and it's holding up fine.

Well then I think I might be good because that filler neck insert looks to be about 1-1/4" deep so the 7/8" hole and flapper will be that far from the end. I ordered the parts last night including a replacement filler neck from WCCC so I will see what i'm dealing with once all arrives.
cool

I have read the 69stang.com thread but most of the picture links and pdf links don't work so I can't really see what he has done and how the crimping works to hold it in place.

69Stang went down a month or so back and a lot of content was lost. However, StangsRme and I had several email conversations about the fuel filler fix, since my earlier method was the inspiration for his further work. He has access to the equipment needed to resize the outside diameter of the insert, which is necessary to make his method work.
I have a copy of rev1 of the Fuel Filler Insert Instructions and another of the tool list and disclaimer. I'm not certain if StangsRme is still interested in making this kit, but he may still have some on hand. As I recall he also offered a fuel fill tube with the insert already installed, if so desired. These will certainly give you the whole picture, although I believe there are subsequent revisions to the documents. If you are interested sign-up to 69Stang.com and seek him out. I will not divulge his email but he may if you contact him first via the 69Stang forum.

Attachments

• Fuel Filler Insert Instructions-Rev1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Fuel Filler Insert Tool List & Disclaimer.pdf
    542.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have to admit I am a little disappointed now that I can see how this "kit" solution works. It is more like a solution for guys who don't have access to or the ability to "do it right" by modifing the tube by cutting it and welding in the aftermarket piece. I'm sure it can work and might last but denting the tube out of round to wedge the piece and then securing it with JB Weld seems a little McGyverish to me.

I'm not sure what equipment was used to "resize" the insert flange but it doesn't look too sophisticated judging by the results. If someone wanted to go this route they can simply grind off the outer lip to size or roll it back as seen below with simple hand tools. Not rocket science. Myself, I'd advise cutting and welding so you can do it right once and forget about it.
insert.jpg

Back