• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Going to take a hammer to Gertrude...

"Kats66Pny" said:
Not yet. Had to run to the store tonight to buy the right kind of drill bit. Also bought a new, proper wing but bolt which the PO didn't use. If we can't drill it out ourselves, one of the car club guys offered to help if we need it.

use a left hand twist drill and run the drill motor in reverse. it will most likely back the broken stud out without much effort.

"buening" said:
Craig is ready for the Texas Party

231_29_07_10_8_09_29.jpg

Yeah I know, poor execution. It was done on paint :lol
Did you post something?

Can't seem to see anything but your avatar.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no luck getting the bolt out. :po Husband little cordless drill didn't have enough oomph even with a fully charged battery. So he used it as an excuse to go buy a DeWalt drill this afternoon. I guess it works out for both of us. I get my car worked on, and he gets more power tools.

"rsalway" said:
Some of these comments are funny when taken completely out of context. :lol

I suppose "Husband little cordless drill didn't have enough oomph even with a fully charged battery" could be taken that way :lol

"Kats66Pny" said:
:po Husband little cordless drill didn't have enough oomph even with a fully charged battery.

Dang, how old is he anyway? Maybe you need to trade up to a newer young model.....

:beat

God, I feel so much better now. Maybe I'll take my girlfriend Amy Winehouse out for a stroll along the beach.

amy%20winehouse%20borat-thumb.jpg

I would not be drilling into that carb at all. One slip and you have crap in the engine unless you stuffed rags into the carb first. I would pull it so no damage is done plus it would be easier to fix. If you have to drill completely thru the broken bolt, drill shavings will go down the carb.

Now, you might get things done just fine......but one "oh crap".......

Do I detect something in this sentence????

"Husband little cordless drill didn't have enough oomph "

:)

Can I take a hammer to her yet? :lol

So we were messing with the new carb again today and turns out there are more issues than I was originally aware of. We (ok he) got the carb on and bolted on with new bolts and gasket and did adjustments and such. We took Gertrude out for a little cruise around the block, and he said the transmission was slipping. Well ok, that sucks. Got her back in the garage, turns out too much trans fluid in there. So before he messes anymore with the carb, going to have to drain the trans fluid to an appropriate level. Didn't feel like messing with her anymore tonight, so he's going to come back over on Wedn. when my hubby will be home all day and see if the two of them can't get Gertrude running properly. He also said he understands now why I wanted to sell her because of the mods and hackjob stuff the PO did to her engine.

So uh... yeah.. about one of those um Texas Repair Party's..... :lol

The joys of PO's work......

Just remember things like this when you sell something. You then are the PO so how it is done now will determine how the next owner looks at you. That is why I try to be honest on all things I sell.

Good luck on Wed.

So before he messes anymore with the carb, going to have to drain the trans fluid to an appropriate level.

If your transmission pan doesn't have a drain plug.... instead of removing the pan, temporarily disconnect one of your fluid cooling lines from the radiator and start the car with the disconnected line placed over a bucket.

Good tip Dave. Amazing how many times something as simple as that is over looked and the mess of dropping the pan is done... (been there done that...)

Back