• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Got to love Craigslist!

Well you know if you find just the right old car to replace your sebring, that runs and looks good, you may have something there.

I find some deals out there every now and then that I tell SWMBO that I could drive daily. Some from early 60s and some from 40s and 50s.

The problem is to get a good one you have to spend a bit of cash which could be spent on Gert.

Sometimes you can find a driver coupe for cheap. Like the 69/70 I'm not sure what year from looking at it. It is in town and looks to be pretty nice from the road, but until I get the nerve to look at it close and then try to deal with the guy, I'll never know.

Since it is a coupe if it was a DD type of car, I could just do maintenance on it like any other used car while I finish ED.

All irrelevant while medical bills are piling up.

Mel

Ok.. gimmie some opinions.

I called about the Mach. :roll Talking to him, he said there's some rust on the rear quarter that would need fixed. But the rest of the car seems to be have very little rust, some surface rust but no major rust problems. I asked about the cowl, he said he isn't sure. The floors are ok but there's some areas that might need replaced. The engine is the original 351c and pretty sure they are matching numbers? whatever that means.. :shrug

I told him I was fixing up a 66 coupe and he said he'd be willing to trade my coupe + some cash for the Mach 1. I'd keep my engine/trans. He would just want the body, basically for the rear end and then part off the rest.

I googled his # and the mach is listed for $4500 on another site but 5800 on CL.

So tempting. Put tons of money into Gertrude, a dime a dozen 66 coupe... or dump the money into a Mach 1 which is another of my favorite Mustangs. :confu

1st opinion - If it was me i would be all over that like Kirsty Alley at a banquet table.
2nd - Dont worry about the cowl, these ones have a removable top so they are much easier to repair
3rd - they are a much bigger car than the 66, have you driven one as you cant see ANYTHING out the back!!
4th - Get someone to have a look at it with you to pick out the bits you ignore or dont want to see.
Good Luck

Ok the good, the bad, the ugly.

For starters VIN is 0F05M148296

1. I couldn't get in the car. The doors are jammed and won't open. The tint on the windows is MEGA black. Almost impossible to see in, but you can see through the windshield. Inside you can see the seats which don't look too bad actually. Wood grain dash. Since it was impossible to really look inside, I can't say how good/bad it is in there.

2. Since I couldn't see the inside of the floor, checking underneath you can see rust through and so the floors would need replaced.

3. The 351c is not in the car anymore. It's in pieces on the other side of the garage. He said all the pieces are there though. Would definitely need a rebuild. I did get a couple pictures of the only numbers I could find on the thing.

4. Underside of the car is rusty. I didn't notice rust through but lots of surface rust going on under the car. Pretty much everything would need to come off and cleaned up or replaced.

5. Wheel wells (both) would need replaced, so would the trunk floor and fuel tank, and both rear quarters. Well the quarters could probably be patched with new sheet metal.

5. Body had some areas of surface rust, but over all not really bad body wise. Didn't see any bondo'd area's. Paint is chipping off all over the car and you can see some rust area's and bare metal area's. Few dents - rear passenger quarter and roof.

He's asking the $5800 even though it's listed $4500 on another place back on Feb 18th. Basically it would need a lot of the same stuff Gertrude would need. I know parts for this one are more expensive than parts for a 66 coupe. Overall this car would cost more money to restore. I don't know if this is a good deal or not for a Mach 1 in this condition? :shrug And

and of course.. pictures.

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Run away..... FAR AWAY. Looking at way more money and time than what you have. That one is really ugly in the back end!

You said this in another post: "I'm debating if I want to even mess with my 66 or just find something else that isn't as bad of shape that only needs minor work done to it."

Step away from the crack pipe and run far away from this 70. That'll take a KO load of work to get it back to a nice condition.

Ah! Look at that roof too!

Take off all binding undergarments and run away. Trying to bounce as much as possible too during said run.

I didnt know they grew rust like that down in Texas. That car must have some roots to the great Northeast!

Back