• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Had some me time

Today I got some more " me time ".
Or should I call it " looking for gold " ?

Ordered this weekend some sanding paper for my sander. I started to sand down the red fastback from its red paint. Its orginally a Sauturn Gold car...I believe. Have to look at its Marti Report bought some years ago. I started at the roof and sanded the red paint away to the orignal color..gold.
Looking at the different layers , the car had a respray in gold and later on it has been resprayed in red...twice.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Attachments

• pro-pmmpOwnV.jpeg
    pro-pmmpOwnV.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 13
  • pro-r894T45A.jpeg
    pro-r894T45A.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Today I got some more " me time ".
Or should I call it " looking for gold " ?

Ordered this weekend some sanding paper for my sander. I started to sand down the red fastback from its red paint. Its orginally a Sauturn Gold car...I believe. Have to look at its Marti Report bought some years ago. I started at the roof and sanded the red paint away to the orignal color..gold.
Looking at the different layers , the car had a respray in gold and later on it has been resprayed in red...twice.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk
Looks more like Burnt Amber.

We had a guy here on the forums in the bay area who started the same thing. Then he found it. Someone , in its lifetime, had cut a sun roof in and welded/mudded over it. The roof was a lot thicker than it was suppose to be. Another item to fix. He did.

Bruno, are you going to Spa this weekend? Lots of rain today huh?
In the 70s and 80s, I did follow the F1 circus. Nowedays not. Too technical.
Yes this weekend F1 is in Spa-Francorchamp. And it will be a rainy one...as most of the time.
One side of the circuit can be dry and at the same time it can rain on the other side.
Its sold out for this weekend cause all the Dutch people bought tickets to see Max Verstappen in his RedBull.
To many F1 drivers its the most beautiful race circuit of the world for years.

I just watched the Practice and Qualifying at Spa. Rain then sunshine later.....

I got of pic of Bruno there in the crowd with his Mustang hat on. But upon closer inspection.....it wasn't him. ;)

SF Spa 28Jul23.jpg

still busy on removing that ugly red paint !!

ef4756cb80aaac1bc2c3ce21709eeb9b.jpg

8506f01879bb35bfc1b9d949bc06d6fd.jpg

Last edited:
Paint stripper will take it off, no problem
I know but I don't like that chemical stuff and its expensive overhere..at least the good stuff !
But I have fairely good sanding paper and sanding machine.

Attachments

• 3M cubitron II purple.jpg
    3M cubitron II purple.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 6
  • festo-et2e-schuurmachine_8467_2.jpg
    festo-et2e-schuurmachine_8467_2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Till now I used 6 disk sanding paper for the roof , both quarters and decklid. I had to remove at least 5 layers , 3 prime and 2 topcoats.
As about dust , I have a vac cleaner attached to the sander but yes... you still have dust all around in the garage. And in the mouth.....yeh I know ...dust mask...i have one ..just to put it on my ugly face.

Agree it's not the strongest anymore. Assume the enviros complained.

I generally use one from the local speed shop chains.

Wouldn't call it good but it does work. Obviously depends on how many coats you're trying to remove with one application.

Just thought Bruno I have a 3.00 open 9" pumpkin I took out ( quiet no noise) if you want it when we meet next year?

Back