• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How did you pick your Mustangs color?

My car was my dad's and originally Highland green. To me, it will always be a green car. I had planned to go back to original. I was at the body shop and the owner asked me to look at a camaro he had recently painted silver. I told him it was nothing special, he picked up a panel and said "come out side". There was so much POP in that paint I looked at him and said "What can we do in Green?" His paint rep mixed up a few samples and I settled on the one that I felt was closest to highland green. Its really an amazing paint job, it looks so much different in sun, shade, etc.

When I bought Midlife, I wanted to repaint it a metallic green that Lexus had in its line, which was close (but better) than the Ivy Green of 1967. Then I learned that the Candy Apple Red color on the car was the same color the car came from the factory (buck tag and VIN tag had color code T). No sense bucking the trend of the best red Ford ever put out...

Don't look inside....
IMG_0358.jpg

Oh yes!! I found the color I want! Dusk Rose... and top it off with a personalized license plate that says 'My Lil Pny' and an airbrushed rainbow on the quarter panel with fluffy clouds! :lol

"Kats66Pny" said:
Oh yes!! I found the color I want! Dusk Rose... and top it off with a personalized license plate that says 'My Lil Pny' and an airbrushed rainbow on the quarter panel with fluffy clouds! :lol

Please, please say you're joking! :ep

"Kats66Pny" said:

Well yeah,

if you're :sbbp

I originally planned to paint my '66 black, but chickened out at the last minute. The car was my daily driver at the time, and all the body work done by myself. Even though I'd spent many days on the body, I was afraid of the maintenance of a black paint job, and the imperfections it might show. I picked the "Metallic Pewter" color off a paint panel, and they happened to have a car they just finished, sitting in the sun, that was that color. It used to be extremely unique. It's been in many, many car shows, and I always get asked who painted it and what color it is. It was funny, to me, to start seeing other Mustangs show up at car shows in the last few years the exact same color. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :nk

Scary, my '69, is Silver Frost. It's the color my son picked for his '65, back when we built it. Both me and SWMBO always loved that color. The '65 had long been totaled, so I decided we'd go with the Silver Frost again. It is extremely easy to maintain, and usually only gets a real wash job once or twice a year, although it sits under a car cover in the garage most of the time.

Color choice can be tough sometimes. The great thing about building a coupe is you can do pretty much whatever you want to it and not have to listen to "why did you paint it that color".

I decided I was going to build the car I wanted this time around. The color does not belong on a 69 Mach1. The blacked out tail panel, headlight buckets and deck do not belong on a Mach1. There is no such thing as a 427 Cobra Jet in a 69 Mach1. I used to let those things bother me, now if someone don't like what I've done they simply need to move along.

The car was complete and solid enough that it probably should have been restored.

I had 5 colors that I actually mixed samples of and sprayed on test cards to look at in the sun.
Choices were,
  • Black Jade: [nb](original color)When I mixed the test color there was too much gold poly going on[/nb]
  • Grabber Orange: [nb]My Grabber Orange fixation started in the 70s. One of my older brothers bought a 66 coupe that was painted grabber orange and Parnelli Jonesed out, with N-50s on the back and a black hood. He immediately painted it red :wtf [/nb]
  • Gulfstream Aqua: [nb] What killed this color for me is I saw a 69 GT with white stripes on it out in the sun one day. Gulfstream is green in the sun and blue in the shade.[/nb]
  • Black: [nb]Mixed jet black toner and basemaker only. Actually got close enough to using this color that I painted the hood. It looked really, really good.....til it sat outside for about an hour and was dusty and got a bird turd on it.[/nb]
  • Barcelona Red pearl [nb](Toyota color) which when I mixed the test color I killed all the non-red toners and added more red pearl. Looked awesome in overcast but flipped way too hard in the sun[/nb]

This is what it almost become.
1_13_03_09_9_09_21.jpg

This is the car with the hood painted and back on the car. I spent quite a bit of time wet sanding it out nice and slick and then polishing it. Every time I walked by it, it was dirty again. Love black cars, don't love cleaning them.
index.php

Thanks. I think black is a good color. You just have to be sure your paint and body man knows his stuff.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I'm going to attempt to do any body work myself. I can say it probably won't be the best of work. :lol

A few pointers from folks here will certainly make your work better than just winging it your first time out.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I'm going to attempt to do any body work myself. I can say it probably won't be the best of work. :lol

When you're done with the body work, you'll be a perfect candidate for the Witness Protection Program, as you won't have any fingerprints left with all the sanding you'll be doing.

Body work can be immensely satisfying, but you must have the patience of Job.

Once I get to that stage and start on the body work, you'll be seeing a lot of questions from me! I figure I won't even start any body stuff until fall/winter, when it starts cooling off. You know how hot it is here in Texas and my garage is a sauna. That and I have to save up some $ to buy everything I'm going to need to do it. Plus I want to drive the car around for a bit and enjoy it before I start any major work because lord knows it may be a while before I get to drive it again.

If I would have done my own paint and body work, I definitely would NOT gone with black paint. You really have to the body straight for the paint to look good. Someday I'd like to paint my own project car, but I'll probably select a color like blue or silver.

As far as waiting for awhile to start the body work, I think that's a good idea. If you've got your car in a drivable condition, you might as well enjoy it for the summer. Once you start the body work, it'll be months before you're ready to paint it. Also, you might check into the local community colleges to see if they have a body shop class.

"garner67" said:
As far as waiting for awhile to start the body work, I think that's a good idea. If you've got your car in a drivable condition, you might as well enjoy it for the summer. Once you start the body work, it'll be months before you're ready to paint it. Also, you might check into the local community colleges to see if they have a body shop class.
I agree, too many cars become a basket case cuz the owner has great plans and takes it all apart then loses interest because they cant enjoy it.

I chose a Dodge Ram "Flame" red based off what Dave said, I needed to see it on a vehicle and I wanted a modern color I could touch up. This car is a driver and it has road rash. I can actually touch it up with a red Sharpie!
And I sure hope Dave paints his blue with white stripes, that is my favorite color combo on a 65/66 FB!

Back