• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hydraulic throw-out bearing?

I would go with modern driveline. They mostly deal with mustangs, everything I've bought from them fit perfectly. Good luck on your project!!!

I would go with modern driveline. They mostly deal with mustangs, everything I've bought from them fit perfectly. Good luck on your project!!!
thanks, sounds like we have a few guys on here that have had experience with them. That is good for me

I didn't read all the posts. The only advice I can give since I have a T5 in the 67 and TKO in the 65 both slave/master setups, it go with the TKO.

People will tell you that the high end T5 is as good or better and all I have to say is hogwash!

My TKO has a lower first gear and a higher 5 th gear. This is huge. Plus the TKO feels better and it is stronger! I can not abuse my T5. It just isn't going to have it. I am not running huge power either. Just a mild 289.

I can slam and bang on my TKO and it just takes it!

As for hydraulic clutches and pedals, I have no idea who made mine. They were a kit. I do know they fit well and work awesome. They are 12-15 years old, so you likely want the new gen stuff anyway.

Glad to see you get out of the slip and slide stuff.

Oh, the cost for the TKO was $200 more than the T5. Worth every cent!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

thanks Mel. I know a T5 wouldn't hold up behind my 429! Even the C6 has had trouble doing that and they are supposed to be tough! Both quotes I have are for a TKO600 which should be plenty for me. They are rated at 600 lb/ft of torque. I think the T5 is only in the ~300 range...

Mt T5 is behind a warmed 289 and isn't doing all that well. 2nd grinds and don't even think about a fast slam shift.

My TKO just takes it in stride.

Mel

Can we let up on the T5 bashing for just a bit? I'm thisclose to getting my car on the road after a number of years and you guys make it sound like I need to do a tranny swap already!
Seriously, there are countless guys running T5/SBF combos out there right now who are rolling along just fine. Craig pretty much nailed it. If you're making some serious power out of your little Ford it's not wise to bolt on some sticky tires and visit the strip with a stock T5. On the street with the occasional hard four gear thrashing you're not likely to hurt it. I beat the living hell out of one in my Fox that had enough mods to be pushing over 300 hp and never had an issue.
I'm saving the TKO upgrade for when I drop in the next engine I have planned. No worries that the current T5 can handle what I'm running right now. Hell, even if I do break it, a few bucks for some parts and it is back on the road for the next weekend. I'd still be money ahead over a TKO.

Really Horseplay? $200 is all my TKO cost over the T5.

Money ahead? How?

I'm not sure those guys running around on the street with the T5 are fine. I can only tell you that after a couple hard shifts with mine now my second gear wants to grind.

In the late 70s early 80s we chose between the T10 and toploader. I can tell you from experience that just like the T5 the T10 needs some work on the internals before it held up to anything that got any abuse like a teenage driver.

The T5 is a good transmission, but needs some help before it is even close the the TKO. Period.

For the extra money to get a built T5 you might as well go with a TKO.

I can say this since I have both with darn near the same power under the hood.

In the years gone by I had both the Top loader and T10. I know there are examples of both Ts behind serious power, but that is due to stronger internals being installed!

So, I'm not bashing, just stating facts based on personal experience.

If we keep the 67 we will be swapping the T5 out in favor of the TKO.

Mel

Don't worry Terry, at well north of 350 Hp, the T-5 in our 65 has lasted several years with a teenage driver behind the wheel!

Oh don't get me wrong. Bob at Hanlon told me he has a z spec behind a road race turboed 351w. They are strong enough. Plus, all the tko transmission I've driven had a notchy feel. A t5 is a smoother engaging transmission imo.

Really Horseplay? $200 is all my TKO cost over the T5.

Money ahead? How?

I'm not sure those guys running around on the street with the T5 are fine. I can only tell you that after a couple hard shifts with mine now my second gear wants to grind.

In the late 70s early 80s we chose between the T10 and toploader. I can tell you from experience that just like the T5 the T10 needs some work on the internals before it held up to anything that got any abuse like a teenage driver.

The T5 is a good transmission, but needs some help before it is even close the the TKO. Period.

For the extra money to get a built T5 you might as well go with a TKO.

I can say this since I have both with darn near the same power under the hood.

In the years gone by I had both the Top loader and T10. I know there are examples of both Ts behind serious power, but that is due to stronger internals being installed!

So, I'm not bashing, just stating facts based on personal experience.

If we keep the 67 we will be swapping the T5 out in favor of the TKO.

Mel

A rebuilt T5 can be had for well under a grand. They typically can be found for less than a few hundred bucks in need of some kind of repair. I am at about $500 for a fully rebuilt unit. Upgraded in areas even. If i break it and need to do some work I would likely still be at under half the cost of a TKO. That's how I would be money ahead. Now if you buy a new T5 and if it someday needs work and you can't/don't work on it yourself its a different story.

The T5 was put in MILLIONS of new factory vehicles. Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, etc. It can live quite well behind healthy small blocks. Not saying it is a racing piece by any stretch (although there are lots used in many types of racing).

As far as your first-second grinding goes sounds like a synchro issue which could be fixed for very little money. Hopefully. That and a weekend in the garage.

And I agree with Bill about the shifting of the TKO. The trade off for the beef to handle the extra ponies is the stiffer shifting. Or so I read everywhere. I hope to find out first hand next year or so when I drop in the next engine.

I have t5z in my coupe. The internals are from Astro performance. Great transmission for the last 7 years no issues!! Knock on wood!!!

I'm still not putting a T5 behind a big block. Good to know about the shifting on the TKO, I have never driven one. Lots of T5's though.
I don't dislike the T5. I do plan on a T5 in my 65 behind a mild 5.0 but it needs serious help. It has a broken second gear and gear cluster shaft.
I actually considered a toploader for a minute... They are rare and almost as much as the TKO and no overdrive!

I find my TKO to shift smoother and better than my T5 ever has.

My TKO is very smooth and handles all the abuse I throw at it.

If my post was read correctly, I said that my T5 cost $200 less than the TKO. That is a fact. Also it was 15 years ago.

I was also referring to my T5 which is not a Z and does not have anything special inside.

I also understand you can do just about anything gear wise with either one now. Mt TKO has a lower first and combined with the 3:53 gears it launches much better. The OD is higher so both cars get about the same freeway MPG.

IMO I would never buy another T5. This based on my experience. I know there are upgrades and all, but with the TKO there is no need to upgrade.

I also have not had any issues wit angle on either car.

Mel

Mel, I don't think anybody will disagree that the tko is a much stronger transmission. Heck, I'd have one if I could justify the cost. I've got maybe 400 in my z spec transmission because I'm frugal lol. It's a brand new rebuilt unit by myself.

It's getting close to decision time. I am leaning toward Modern Driveline based on ya'lls input. They didn't include a driveshaft in the quote and the TKO is shorter so I will need a new one. That will mean they are nearly $600 more in the end if a drive shaft is around $400. But I like the feedback from everyone that has had experience with them so that is worth the extra $$$

Back