• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I am very pissed at myself. Gonna have to pull the Cleveland -maybe NOT!!

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
This is a first for me for I have no one to blame but myself. Now I'm starting to understand what's it like being human. I should have studied more, asked more questions, etc. But "oh well"......

In a nutshell, these manifolds were last used with a automatic transmission. The exit is pointing pretty horizontally towards the rear. With the Zbar in relaxed position with the lower arm forward, the arm cuts right through the exhaust. This lower arm get's so close to the exit opening that there is no way to fit a small 90 degree pipe, etc. The pipe would also need to be crimped. This exit hole also faces someone outward aim very close to the steering box wanting to go between the steering box and the lower arm with a gap of about 1-1/2".

Here's my current set up. Note how horizontally the exhaust exits.

4_16_12_09_1_06_41.JPG

Here's a LH manifold on ebay supplied to me today by John of ORP. Note how it points more toward the ground:

exhaust manifold

Here's some pics I took today showing the interference:

See how it points somewhat towards the steering box?
[smg id=3558]

Another angle:
[smg id=3557]

Thus I am planning to either find a single LH manual transmission Cleveland 4v manifold or at worst case another set. No matter what I get, I'm going to be hosting yet another party but this time called "yank and drop" with us pulling the motor, swapping the manifold(s) and dropping the motor back in.

Crap!!! :po

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I am very pissed at myself. Gonna have to pull the Cleveland

Crap man, you have to pull the motor to R&R the manifold???? That sucks Craig, but good for more friendly "face" time.

Are you sure Duane hasn't been secretly helping you? :craz

Thats a bummer, is it that tight with the shock tower that you cant get to the manifold with the engine in the car? Either way, that sucks craig...

I will first attempt to pull the manifold without removing the motor but If I end up replacing both left and right and with the fact that I need to scrap off the copper RTV high temp gasket maker, it probably be much easier to do it with the motor pulled. Need to have a few brews to ponder my next move.

Are your sure you can't unbolt the mount on that side and tilt the engine a bit to wrestle it out?

Dude, I hope you don't have to pull it. If so, better now than after everything else is hooked up. I swear I didn't send my karma your way...and Mark.....I'm saving all my "assistance" for a trip to Kansas!!!!

How about fabricating an equalizer bar to fit?

Mustang Pony Cars just did this with the 71 Q code 4 speed convertible they are putting together for a customer.

Ouch, my sympathies Craig. Sounds like something I'd do...

Bad news! I wouldn't have guessed the manual trans manifolds were different, WTF?!

You'll need more beer for the hoisting party....

"pprince" said:
How about fabricating an equalizer bar to fit?
+1..Was thinking same thing. With the money you already put into those manifolds, I think I would investigate that avenue first.

One other thing to contemplate would be ditching the z-bar and using a hydraulic clutch. If you have the slave cylinder mounted on the firewall, you can route the hydraulic line any way you want. In other words, no clearance issues with pretty much ANY exhaust.

His clutch lever isn't set up to hydraulic
Dammed !!

Craig, relax. ditch the Z bar. they suck! I had one on my 67 and on a 66 I owned. Back in the early 80s, I had to have a set of headers cut and modified with a plate that could be unbolted and the lower section of the header could be removed in order to get the headers I wanted in a 4 spd car.

I like John's solution! Once you use a hydraulic clutch on that beast, you will never regret the decision to put it on. It is just super nice.

That solves all you issues and you have some awesome looking exhaust manifolds.

Once you go hydraulic you'll never go back!

Mel

I also think hydraulic setup would be easier and cheaper in the long run. It's not like you're trying to go for originality points. Then you could sell the Z-bar and recoup some funds into the new setup.

"69RestoRod" said:
I also think hydraulic setup would be easier and cheaper in the long run. It's not like you're trying to go for originality points. Then you could sell the Z-bar and recoup some funds into the new setup.

+1 but still need to change the clutch lever setup ... so .. trans and bell must go out.

Yeah, but if he has the right jack he can do that solo. I've done it with an c-4 myself several times with the wrong jack.

Nope, don't necessarily like the Hydraulic clutch set up. I'd rather consider modifying the Z bar. John of ORP also mentioned that this might be a choice but will take a lot of research and measuring. Yesterday I had already considered modifying the bar by pushing the lower arm closer to the motor to allow more space between the lower arm and the steering box. But when you do this, you distort the angle of the lower adjusting rod than connects between lower Zbar arm to clutch form.

I do NOT want to end up with a mickey mouse setup. If I need to swap out the manifolds I will do so and hopefully recoup some of my new costs by selling the current manifolds.

As said.Think twice and do it once.You couldn't forsee this.

Craig, that sucks!

At least you have a ready, willing and able support crew at disposal. Just let me know when to be there.

Hang in there pal.

Back