• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I am very pissed at myself. Gonna have to pull the Cleveland -maybe NOT!!

Since I couldn't make it for the drop in I don't know the pains incurred. I say pull it and do it right! I would be happy to spend the day helping out.

You should see how close the 390 exhaust manifold is to my power steering box and z-bar setup. It has been a major pain for me as well. The most recent exhaust might actually touch the z-bar when at rest.

Seriously let me know when you decide to pull it and r&r everything!

Obviously the original 67/68 289-302 Zbar that I was trying to use is not cutting it. Thus as mentioned I will first see if the Bos 302 Zbar resolves the issue. Too many others claim it will, so why not give it a shot. Even if there is a interference issue I think it will be
far easier to modify the boss 302 bar as compared to the current one.

Justin, yes I was under Mike's car this past Saturday and saw how tight everything is. I also noticed how the stock manifold also points slightly towards the Steering box. I doubt if there was more than a 1/8" gap between the exhaust and the box.

I have already called Lupe (local muffler guy) who is ready to come over and crawl under Shag to give his thumbs up or thumbs down.

Jeff,
Thanks but I won't get the Zbar until Sunday when I go to Mike's and pick it up.While there, I'm going to help him reinstall his rear seat and then when I get home I plan to do a rough fit.

Re: I am very pissed at myself. Gonna have to pull the Cleveland

Unless you order custom $800+ FPA headers that run right into your slave cylinder! Sorry, still venting.........​
"johnpro" said:
One other thing to contemplate would be ditching the z-bar and using a hydraulic clutch. If you have the slave cylinder mounted on the firewall, you can route the hydraulic line any way you want. In other words, no clearance issues with pretty much ANY exhaust.

Back