• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Is it just me ....

70 StangMan

Donator
...or has there been a major drop in new topics and post from the usual crowd ( in some threads ) since the change ?? Hell even the shat box is stagnant. ( Just wondering out loud. )

Last edited:
Well at least Pat replied here. You've been rather absent lately yourself, Pat. Busy after the move and all? Or just hunkering down in anticipation of another brutal Wisconsin winter around the corner? Or maybe it's knowing the power has been shifted in the NFC North that has caused your silence? o_O

Summertime I guess. Seems it usually is slower in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday was the official end of my back to school season. Today is my first day off in 2 weeks. Everybody needs new shoes for school.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Summertime does seem to be slower here. Everyone is out playing in the sun. :)

fd

Lots of spam.......never had that in the past. This place seems not so special anymore.....just another site. Just a thought........

Lots of spam.......never had that in the past. This place seems not so special anymore.....just another site. Just a thought........
I will give you the spam part but nothing has really changed here physically that would rise to the level of altering it's "feel". The big change is the cast of regulars. A large number of the guys who made up the senior crew 4-5 years ago...and the reason I stuck around...are either completely absent or make only the rare visit these days. Not sure why exactly but will tell you it's not anywhere near as "edgy" as it was. We used to have some great threads ripping on one guy or the next. Then with the wave of newer members we had some thin skinned people get their feathers ruffled in what was nothing more than fun and the PC police put a damper on things a bit. At least that's my take on how the past year or more has gone. Now we just make fun of {.}. Sure it's fun but where's the challenge in that? People get bored.

Then there is the whole thing where guys sell their damn cars or move onto other interests.

What has always made this place different and a place we all wanted to hang out was a shared love of our old cars but also that, for lack of a better way to put it, Frat house kind of feel where it was anything goes and we could all have fun at each others expense, etc. but at the end of the day everyone laughed about it.

When was the last time there was an incident that evolved into a great, inside joke that had the legs to last around here? To me that sums it all up. The only joke we have left around her is probably ironing his wife's clothes right now. See. That's all I got anymore. At least that well runs deep.

I've noticed a drop off in content volume as well. Whether it is seasonal or some other ebb and flow pattern is unclear. What is clear is that as any community ages, the culture and the atmosphere evolves. Remember that at its inception, this forum was a spin off from VMF where some folks felt more comfortable hanging out as the culture over at VMF shifted in a different direction as well. Remember that initially we joked about this being "The Dark Side" Hell I even have the T-shirt ! By and large the long time VMFers who were more focused on the social aspects of the hobby gravitated over here, Green mankini and all. One factor to consider is that VMF still has a stream of new recruits that are still building their knowledge base and asking the same old questions that we asked when we were each newbies. Though I suppose it can get old answering the same old questions, it does serve to keep the pipeline of enthusiasts flowing. Lately, I've been looking at the hobby as it has evolved for me and what I have come to realize is that this is less about the cars and more about making friends. In the 14 years since I joined in, I have made a number of good friends both near and far and unfortunately I've lost some of these friends over time (Johnpro, Delilah67, Sigtauenus to name but a few). I believe that the health and longevity of any hobbyist forum depends on the influx of new blood. In the past year I have met and helped a couple of local enthusiasts (Armon and Brandon) in the under 25 year old segment and it is my hope that my encouragement and assistance will keep them enthused into the future. Sort of like a "pay it forward" sort of thing. The knowledge I've gained from all of you deserves to be handed down to keep it all alive. This past weekend I had the opportunity to meet an enthusiastic young lady from VMF (KellyH) on a cross country tour of the US in her '66 Fastback. Extraordinary young woman with the passion to keep these old rigs on the road and wise beyond her years. I suggest that the long term prospects for this forum would be enhanced by encouraging the younger enthusiasts along their paths.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you Jeff. And we have our share of new/younger people (mainly guys as is the way it goes normally) here at the Fix. What I do notice though is the younger guys tend to ask a certain question get what they were after and tend to disappear. Or at least not many participate in the more "social" chatter that goes on here. Not sure why but likely a host of reasons. I do notice that the number of people "on" the site on any given day is a whole lot larger than the number of people actually posting. Lots of readers and not so many talkers.
I don't think our site is the one people gravitate towards to ask what size tire fits my car. I'm not even sure this site is the go to for direction from the old guys as it was years ago. Not that both those answers can't be had here just that it doesn't happen much anymore. It might be simply because Fixers don't tend to direct people from other forums here as was done long ago.

Talk about this...

My Dad is going in for another by-pass surgery tomorrow morning. They are replacing a section of his main artery (Mom's description, not mine) again that was part of his triple by-pass 10 yrs ago. He's a tough old guy, but you never know when it comes to open heart surgery. I wonder if they'll make a new zipper or use the old one?

Talk about this...

My Dad is going in for another by-pass surgery tomorrow morning. They are replacing a section of his main artery (Mom's description, not mine) again that was part of his triple by-pass 10 yrs ago. He's a tough old guy, but you never know when it comes to open heart surgery. I wonder if they'll make a new zipper or use the old one?
I'm sure he will do fine. He has made it this long with you as a son he must be one tough SOB.

Sadly, if he thinks of me before the surgery, he may just ask the docs to not wake him up.

Talk about this...

Thank's for the Hi-Jack Suzie......too lazy to start your own thread or were the cookies burning ?? ( Hope your Dad procedure goes well )

I have a three year old, a pregnant wife, and I'm flat broke. No money, no car parts. And that really sucks because I now have concrete, new electrical, and a massive fan all put in the shop over the last few months, and really want to be out there working.

Back