• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

"daveSanborn" said:
Johnny,

Great days worth of work!

How were you able to determine the placement of the "cut to fit" engine mounts? With my kit I had to hang the engine into position and mock up the mounts before cutting them and welding them into position. Did R&C have the mounts already welded onto the crossmember for you?

Good news: The welds look spectacular.

Bad news: The front sway bar brackets are welded on backwards. The "L" should face inboard, not outboard. They will not work in their current position and will have to be cut off and re-done. To prove this to yourself, hold the kit provided sway bar up to the "L" brackets and you'll see what I'm talking about.

DSC01350.jpg

My kit install is pictured below..... notice the sway bar mounts.

3_07_09_08_7_04_15_2.JPG

Have fun in Dublin!

it's funny because I thought the same thing..I followed the supplied instructions to the T and afterwards I was looking at some pictures I had on my computer and I have some pics of your suspension setup. Needless to say I let a few four letter words go but then I double and triple checked the instructions and they are correct..maybe they change around for the big block application...I'll call Willie tomorrow to double check.

And yea, R&C have a jig and the put the motor mounts on in the factory..saves me a bunch of hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
People here are smarter then me, but isnt the 67-68 two inches wider then the 65-66. Could this be the difference?

here is a mock-up of my buddies 65 with Rod & Custom Mustang II suspension. Sway bar can be seen in this pic.
72_23_10_09_2_37_31.jpg

72_23_10_09_2_44_33.jpg

"lethal289" said:
People here are smarter then me, but isnt the 67-68 two inches wider then the 65-66. Could this be the difference?

I think just the nose sits higher on the 67's :run

maybe they change around for the big block application...

And maybe pigs really can fly?

I don't think you're going to get off that easy Johnny. Pop the hood on ANY 67-68 Mustang and look down at the inner frame rail and you'll see similar mounts for the sway bar. SBF or BBF, it doesn't matter, they're mounted facing inboard of the frame rails.

"daveSanborn" said:
And maybe pigs really can fly?

I don't think you're going to get off that easy Johnny. Pop the hood on ANY 67-68 Mustang and look down at the inner frame rail and you'll see similar mounts for the sway bar. SBF or BBF, it doesn't matter, they're mounted facing inboard of the frame rails.

Dave,
Unless Willie has sent me the wrong instructions I'm going to have to say you are wrong on this one.

Instructions attached and some footage of a flying pig.

Flying Pig - Roger Waters Live May 11th 2008 Landgraaf

Attachments

• Sway Bar002.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Well...... I guess I can't argue with those instructions. They clearly direct the installation of the brackets with the "L" facing underneath the frame rail.

I'm still confused though.....

Maybe the installation is different due to your car being a 67-68?

Here's a picture from their website showing instalation of the brackets:

2.jpg

I did mine (also a 65-66 car) the same way.

Does the straight section of your sway bar align with the position of your brackets? If so, I don't think you'll have any problems.

You'll notice that it says on the instructions that these instructions replace anything before 06--01-09, maybe the design was changed recently.

As long as the sway bar mounts with the brackets in that position... and I guess it will.... it's a "cleaner" installation.

Container finally arrived yesterday and now the fun begins.

Thanks to John and Mark for the T-shirt and the gift...More pics to follow.

Can't wait to get stuck in. Now back to the workshop to get all the boxes sorted and figure out what is going into storage and what gets worked on start away.

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

You should have the car done in no time, I see you got one of these :EB

DSC01436.jpg

loving the write up so far..lots of dedication and determination on your part. i commend you... :vic

nate

"Fast68back" said:
I see you got one of these :EB

He, he, he.....couldn't help myself!!

That garage looks better than on any Christmas day, now get that car finished :coo

"silverblueBP" said:
He, he, he.....couldn't help myself!!

That garage looks better than on any Christmas day, now get that car finished :coo

Cheers Mark.....I was laughing my ass off when i got it. I know i am going to use this alot....Especially after I've spent 8 hours doing a 1 hour job on the stang......

Got a few small things done at the weekend.

Installed the clutch roller bearing.
Before

DSC01455.jpg

After
DSC01456.jpg

Mocked up the one piece inner fenders...Sweet items and should give the engine bay a nice clean look.
DSC01462.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

"hivewax" said:
I'm liking your man cave... looks very cozy.

I actually love my man cave....It was my grandads old garage...Used to open front and falling down when i got my hands on it...

Here's what it looked like 2 year ago..No electricity, no doors, no wiring, etc

with my grandads old Hillman hunter.....

P8100025.jpg

"daveSanborn" said:
Hey Johnny,

Have these guys seen the picture of the house next door? My future house?

When i look out the door of my garage this is what i see.......
P3150047.jpg

Grandad sold it in 1969 for $30k to the current owners but kept most of the land around it.......At the peak of the property boom(2006-2007) it would have fetched $10m+...Its been on the market for the last 2 years and they'd take your arm off if you offered them $2m today.....

Dave...call your bank...I need help building this car...

Back