• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Journey of Steel eleanor hood.

do me a favor and record your measurements cuz I'm gonna be doing the same thing! You have inspired/motivated me!!! Looks great

I have all the measurments, Really badly drawn out sorry, I can put better ones up anytime, What were you planning on making? If this turns out 1/2 decent i'll help you with yours If you want?? heres a rough drawing, Whenever you need help/measurements just yell, your Paper drawing worked out really well! I was really busy all day moving junk around didn't get anything done :char
72_04_10_10_4_44_04_0.jpg

IMG_3590-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Which way should i mount these louvers?? it doesn't look the best the way shelby did it with this type louver, they are too spread apart, whats your opinion?
S1050075.jpg

S1050073.jpg

I prefer just the scoop......so busy with scoop and louvers plus not a fan of louvers.

Looks like the louvers might be into the hinge mounting area.....

Thanks for the sketch, I'm going to make a hood like yours. Probably with a Boss 429 scoop. I don't have enough clearance right now and I'd like to be able to use NOS or maybe better intake. I don't like the look of the Eleanor hoods with a big bump.

Well boys, I did it. Midlife was right it had to be sandwiched together, I drilled about 12 -1/8" holes and put in aluminum rivets that made it suck together!! welding in 1 inch sections and cooling with a ice cold water/rag. moving around to different places, I also built the frame, I dont have current pics that will be tommorow but i put some coats of FG/kitty hair and i had to fix 2 oil cans with the torch, It did warp but not as bad as i thought it would Im currently 80% done with this mofo All in All it was alot of work but not too much. The gaps in the front are NOt perfect but they work enough for me, I think i can tweak them to be a little better.\
How should i cut the hole for this hood scoop?, anybody have a pic of their functional hood scoop?,Thanks in Advance.,
IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

I'll put more pics up 2morro.

Happy Thanksgiving :beer!,found lotta factory bondo on this hood and 2 more oil cans today, the front is Done though I'm still toying with the idea of these louvers One day i want them the next i dont.... :shrug
IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

Looking better with each step.

As for the louvers, I think they look like something that cool A/C air should be flowing from in an office building.....but I have never been a fan of heat exchangers.

that looks really good! If you want some venting action, how about putting the factory turn signal hood vents in behind the Boss scoop? Maybe that isn't such a good idea...

I thought of that too!,lol- but i didn't like it, I decided to leave them off Cut the 429 scoop hole- felt like i was cutting the whole hood in half :puk Got all the block sanding done- Get ready to Groan.... i painted the underside semi-gloss black :hide I know it should be the body color but I thought it might look cool? I'll have to stick it on and look after i paint the old girl...
IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

people will think it's fiberglass because a lot of the glass hoods are left black underneath...
that hole is about the same as my Boss scooped hood
188832_1836243701049_1089154121_2156124_2253416_n.jpg

Phewww :thu I thought The same thing as Lethal, My friend is a big Mopar lover and he has a sublime green 72 Duster with a 383 and the bottom of the hood was spray painted black & I liked the look. Not to be a picture hog- but Lethal you have any pics?

Had some prime time, Bring on the wetsanding....Forgot about the shelby hood pin extensions, they look too far back & in the wrong spot :puk
IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

hood looks nice. The hood pins are a bit far back. I bought the Shelby extension brackets for mine so they wouldn't be that far back but I've seen others like yours. I guess it's a matter of personal taste.
When can I send up my hoods so you can make another one?!?

Back