• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Laurel Mountain

Update!

I bought some parts from them recently and they went the extra mile for us. Very professional and courteous. I do appreciate the extra effort. Would buy again.

As a relative noob in terms of what I know, they've been quite helpful. Also, the shipping times for me have been blazing fast, fwiw.

I will not use them again, there in business to make money like everybody else, but that's the only thing they think about, once they get the order the communication is brutal! don't get anything back ordered otherwise it'll be a full time job reminding them that your waiting for parts...

"LSTCUP" said:
I will not use them again, there in business to make money like everybody else, but that's the only thing they think about, once they get the order the communication is brutal! don't get anything back ordered otherwise it'll be a full time job reminding them that your waiting for parts...

Thank god ! I am not alone in this. I though it was me !

"LSTCUP" said:

Like every business, when a part is backordered, you have two choices, get a refund for the backorder or wait. If the part is coming from China/Taiwan via ship, it could easily be 4-6 weeks. If you expect them to take the time to update you every few days during that 4-6 week process so you feel better about the wait, then expect the man hours to commit to you and all the other guys with back orders to drive up the prices of an otherwise low cost operation. If you want to have everything in stock almost every time you order, buy from a different outfit that has the warehouse facility to accomodate having everything in stock all the time. And then pay more for that option.

I purchased trunk floor panels from LMM and they were of very low quality, almost bend looking at them but after ordering the same parts from 2 different vendors none were well built, and the phrase you get what you pay for goes out the window on most of these sheetmetal parts, as more often than not they have a MADE IN JAPAN sticker on them.

"sigtauenus" said:
Like every business, when a part is backordered, you have two choices, get a refund for the backorder or wait. If the part is coming from China/Taiwan via ship, it could easily be 4-6 weeks. If you expect them to take the time to update you every few days during that 4-6 week process so you feel better about the wait, then expect the man hours to commit to you and all the other guys with back orders to drive up the prices of an otherwise low cost operation. If you want to have everything in stock almost every time you order, buy from a different outfit that has the warehouse facility to accomodate having everything in stock all the time. And then pay more for that option.

when you ask if everything is in stock most business's will tell you the truth, most business's will process the in stock items on your cc card then ask how you would like to deal with the back ordered items, 4-6 weeks was the estimated ship time, most business's will follow through on there back ordered items, when you call every 6 weeks and they say they will call you back after they have a look into it, I would expect them to call me back! I don't expect them to call me every few days to make me feel better! it has been 30 weeks still no back ordered $400 worth of parts. I know the parts that I'm waiting for have been in and out of there stock several times, they just forget to fill the back order, I can elaborate more once I receive them.

"LSTCUP" said:
when you ask if everything is in stock most business's will tell you the truth, most business's will process the in stock items on your cc card then ask how you would like to deal with the back ordered items, 4-6 weeks was the estimated ship time, most business's will follow through on there back ordered items, when you call every 6 weeks and they say they will call you back after they have a look into it, I would expect them to call me back! I don't expect them to call me every few days to make me feel better! it has been 30 weeks still no back ordered $400 worth of parts. I know the parts that I'm waiting for have been in and out of there stock several times, they just forget to fill the back order, I can elaborate more once I receive them.

30 weeks? Its a violation of Federal law (Federal Trade Commission Mail Order Rule) for them to charge your cc and then not deliver the items within 30 days unless you consent to a longer time period. If what you describe is accurate, it is not only bad business, its illegal!

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus02-business-guide-mail-and-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

"sigtauenus" said:
If what you describe is accurate, it is not only bad business, its illegal!

it's accurate! the only thing that keeps me from totally flipping out is I'm not going to be working on the interior for another 4-6 weeks, but it's really a joke every time I call or email to get an update.

When I have a lot of parts to order I'll drive to Michigan from Canada to pick them up to save shipping, duties and double taxes, I declare it at the border and only have to pay Ontario taxes, waaaay back in early July when I placed my order with LMM I made it clear DO YOU HAVE THIS IN STOCK, I explained that I was going to be shipping to a friends house and that it has to be there by a certain day, they replied yes everything is in stock, great ship it! when I arrived in Michigan I found that there was 4 items missing, I called, they said the items are on back order, I told them to credit my card cause I'm not coming to Michigan for these 4 items, LMM said they would ship to Canada for free once they came in, 6 weeks later I get a call from my friend in Michigan saying he received a package from LMM, he opens it and it's half of the back ordered parts, I call and say WTF, they say sorry that was not suppose to happen :), my friend offers to ship them to me, but I suggest lets wait and see where they ship the last two parts, the last time I spoke with LMM was early last week, they tell me that Scott Drake shipped them the wrong part and it will be another 15 days!, it's a F%%ng overhead console, how many different overhead consoles are there?? :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :wtf

I'm heading to Michigan again, the end of January for other stuff, f'n JOKE!

Well add me to the list of EX-Laurel Mountain customers! To preface my experiences, they've been Ebay orders. The first few items I ever purchased were smooth and trouble free transactions. I then bought the newer (upgraded), woodgrain dash bezel. When it arrived it was the cheap vinyl sticker one. I emailed them and they said they'd fix it, just send it back. Much to my (pleasant!) surprise, several days later the correct one arrived WITH a prepaid shipping label. This done BEFORE I even THOUGHT about shipping the wrong one back (which I DID ship back).

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Based on the previous experience I bought a cowl assembly for my coupe. I paid for it the same day and received an estimated receipt date of approximately 2-8 business days. One day before the LAST estimated receipt date I got a message telling me they were out of stock and as soon as their supplier sent it, they would forward it to me. Okay, stuff gets sold, I understand that. Two days afterwards they offered the same exact item for sale again on Ebay. WTF?!! When I contacted them there was no apology, no explanation, just "we'll add your item to our back order file and send as soon as we receive it". They also told me if I wanted a refund they would do so. I replied I would wait, anticipating an additional week. That's been 3 weeks now since I purchased it. I sent them an email yesterday asking about the current status. I was informed today they STILL haven't received it. At minimum by the time I were to receive the cowl assembly I would have wasted at least a month to complete the repairs. I checked their listings today and they have ANOTHER one for sale on Ebay (which BTW, is a violation of Ebay listing policies!). I sent them a message telling them to refund my money. I then called another vendor who advised they had two in stock. As soon as I receive my refund I'll be ordering from them...which I admittedly should have done in the first place. I've dealt with the other vendor for 25+ years. Bottom line, if you can be a walk in customer with Laurel Mountain, so be it. If you're at the mercy of phone or internet orders, roll the dice about getting your parts! :rant

Thank you for all the detail my man, it really helps understand what to look out for. I will keep your experience in mind for Fred's future needs.

Thought I'd update everyone as to my transaction with LMM. Since it was paid via Paypal, a refund literally takes minutes. Here's their COMPLETE response I received upon making that request:

"Ok, I will cancel the order and get you written up for a refund through paypal."

That was sent to me on 05/23/11, the same day I asked for the refund. After receiving their response I waited several days with no luck. On 05/25/11 I phoned them and asked about the refund. I was told the person who does them wasn't in yet, but a note would be left on their desk. As of Sunday, 05/29/11, I STILL hadn't received my refund. I sat down Sunday night and wrote them another email. I advised them to please contact me by today (05/31/11) in order to resolve my refund, assuming they were closed yesterday due to Memorial day...and stated that assumption in the email! I advised them that if the situation was not resolved today, I would have no option other than to file it with Ebay and Paypal. In NO correspondence with them did I attempt to be rude, nasty or unprofessional. Though highly tempted, I refrained. I even reworded things several times because statements started to sound that way.

As of 12:30 this afternoon I hadn't received so much as a peep. I then phoned and asked to speak with Kevin Mills. After waiting on hold I was asked "who may I say is calling?", and I identified myself. Back on hold again. A few minutes later I was informed he was "on another line", and could that person help me? Okay, enough is enough! I then promptly filed a dispute through Ebay. Don't ya know, within less than 20 minutes I had a full refund. 20 minutes, NOT 8 days!! I also got a response through Ebay from LMM which I thought I'd share. You can be your own judge as to the level of "professional and courteous service" that was demonstrated!

"Hi John, You canceled this item last Monday and it was in the processing to be credited today. We are not one guy sitting here in his underwear selling stuff out of his garage, there are procedures that need to be done with our accounting to get your credit done. We let you know the credit would have to be submitted and processed through the office and it would take several days to show up. It would have been done yesterday but no one was here due to the holiday. I also see you sent emails over the weekend, again, it was a holiday and no one was here until this morning. Sorry for the delay but not everyone here has the banking info to issue credits, that is handled by our accounting dept."

Also let's make this straight for the record, LMM is NOT some huge corporate conglomerate with hundreds of employees that have to go through tons of bean counters and signatures. Had this been a large multi store, multi state company like vendors known by three letters, I'd understand a little more. The person who sent me the statement I shared previously regarding "being written up" for a refund was sent by Kristy Mills. As you can also see in their refund response, no where did they state it would take several days (BTW, "several days" is obviously LMM's defintion of over a week!). I also sent them ONE email on Sunday night....not emailS. You be the judge of levels of BS!

As for me, I've finally concluded my business with LMM. If you're happy with them, continue to do business with them. I for one will never deal with them again, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone! Rant over!

:soapboxrant

p.s. I was able to CONFIRM a cowl in stock with another vendor and already placed an order. I was also told it's going out today! Maybe I can get it installed NEXT weekend!

Count me in as one who is unhappy with the customer service at Laurel Mountain. I remember ordering from them way back in the day, so since they had the best price on a clutch fork I needed and were the only one's who sold a dipstick and tube for a 390/428 (everywhere else just seems to sell the tube), I decided to give them a shot. I placed my order on the internet on December 31st. I tried calling repeatedly but kept getting the message that I had reached them after hours (it was about 10 AM). In my notes section, I specifically requested that they let me know if any of the parts were on back order prior to shipping everything out. 4 days later I got an e-mail saying my parts had been shipped. I was not happy that it took them 4 days to ship out my parts, but ok, it's the holidays, I guess I get it (not really, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt). Just a few minutes ago, I get the "order update" e-mail telling me, SURPRISE, two of your items are on back order. So I call and ask how long the back order is. The response I get..."I don't know, the boss is on vacation for another week so I won't know until he gets back". Seriously? You can't tell me even an estimate of how long it is on back order...and AFTER you have already failed to call me before everything shipped out? And this is after they had already charged my credit card for the full amount. I really don't appreciate my card being charged prior to my items even being in stock and ready to ship to me.

::Rant off:: Last time they get a single penny of my money, I can tell you that much.

Back