• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Life over there has changed, eh?

johnpro

I recognize a couple more familiar faces in the "latest victims" box, which reminds me ...

I know of one more that should be here shortly. He sent me an email saying he couldn't get onto VMF and asked if I could send someone a PT over there and have them give him assistance, since he has a car advertised and hasn't been able to get back in since the downgrade upgrade.

That was really like the second time I've logged in (first time was just to see if I could) and my first attempt at a PM. :barf :barf :barf I couldn't even figure out how to do it now, and I have more posts on that forum than anyone! I obliged Mark and sent Bob a PT. Probably surprised him to see me around again. I also noticed that all my old PT's are gone (I probably had 200 or so) and I'm now limited to 25 PT's, 3 of which are gone by a PT I happened across that I'd just received, and 2 for the PT's that I sent (one to Bob and a response to the one from 66gt350 ... hmmm, he signed up for StangFix today ... wonder why).

Wow, what the heck did they do over there? The format sucks, there are ads everywhere, and unless you pay for an enhanced membership, you're extremely limited. I marveled at how the world has changed ... from the "this site will always be free and ad free" to "we'll bombard you with ads until you pay us to stop".

I have to say I don't miss it.

I finally figured out what's happening to the bolded new posts that don't include the new posts since your last read.

The program reads the last time you either checked in or your last browser closure as the time to set the unread posts. For example, suppose I read everything at 7AM, and close the browser at 7:30. I open the browser at noon, but don't check in to the site, and close the browser. The next time you go to that site, the little box gives you a notice that the last time you checked in was at 12:00 noon, not 7:30 AM.

I was able to go to my control center and turn off most of the ads.

The site is now extremely boring: hardly any comic relief, joke telling, or sarcasm. It's now deadly serious in providing advice, often ill-advice. There's hardly any more personality left, and I think folks are now walking on egg-shells to avoid being hit by the moderators.

I only go there when I have nothing else left to read on the Internet.

I don't envision it being anything close to what it once was. Sad really. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

The really GREAT news is that w/o this place we'd all be over at StangNet.... or gulp...... have to interact socially with the local population.

I'd have to get 24" "dubs" to fit onto my '66 to fit in.... something I've been thinking about doing anyway really..... :nice

Stangnet, I haven't been there in about 2 years. Now you want some comedy? Go check out AllFordMustangs "kill section". Damn v6 STOCK mustangs outrunning v8 camaros and chargers all day long. And they're the 3.8 v6s at that!

Yeah, the new format over there is not very friendly. The local Mustang club here uses it as well, but they leave you all the options to set up things the way you want. The user CP over there now is very limited. Kinda sucks. I peek in there once or twice during the day and occasionally answer a post. Hell, I don't hardly know anyone anymore. I wish Sluggo would fix this damn place so I could see it at work. :bash

I have completely given up on that crappy place. I might check in just to see if I can delete my info and that is about all.

Stangnet has always been one of my standbys for emergencies plus they have a newer car section. Then there is the BMC, or Black Mustang Club for all models. Good site but lower usage than many.

Of course, nothing gives ya that warm fuzzy feeling like this place does.......lol

Soon though, I will be reading more on some un-named Focus site. It will not be anything on Auto Forums though. I have found a couple that look ok but nothing like this place........

"Midlife" said:
The site is now extremely boring: hardly any comic relief, joke telling, or sarcasm. It's now deadly serious in providing advice, often ill-advice. There's hardly any more personality left, and I think folks are now walking on egg-shells to avoid being hit by the moderators.

Seems like if there is an interesting post it gets locked or deleted.

JBauer4363

"AzPete" said:
I have completely given up on that crappy place. I might check in just to see if I can delete my info and that is about all.

If you do find a way to delete your account please let me know I would like to delete mine!!!!

As far as I can tell, there is no delete option. I've logged in maybe twice since the takeover, and I'm not impressed. The page is clunky, hard to read, and not user friendly. Kinda makes me sad to see it go down like that. It was where I started my mustang adventures and met some cool folks. One of which I'm really good friends with now, and he considers me part of his family. He said to hell with them years ago.
I believe I'm done there, the whole atmosphere has changed to something I don't care for. I haven't posted in a while, so.....
Besides, here is more fun....and has the thong thread. Always a deal winner.

"Midlife" said:
The program reads the last time you either checked in or your last browser closure as the time to set the unread posts. For example, suppose I read everything at 7AM, and close the browser at 7:30. I open the browser at noon, but don't check in to the site, and close the browser. The next time you go to that site, the little box gives you a notice that the last time you checked in was at 12:00 noon, not 7:30 AM.

VMF cannot tell when you opened your browser unless you directly interact with the site. I was seeing the EXACT same behavior and couldn't for the life of me figure out how the hell they were doing it. Then it hit me. I use an extension called "Speed dial" that presents me with all the websites I regularly visit tiled in the browser. Each website is shown with a picture of what the website looks like. Everytime I opened my browser, speed dial decided to refresh the image, and so it interacted with the VMF site, and so VMF thought I had visited the site.

I told SpeedDial to stop refreshing the images, and now it works exactly as I want. Total score. Are you using some sort of extension that might be refreshing the site in the background?

Steve

I check the for sale section now and again but otherwise its off my "Most Visited" website list. I also think the new format and all the ads are :barf

No, I have nothing special loaded on my browser that I know of.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
VMF cannot tell when you opened your browser unless you directly interact with the site. I was seeing the EXACT same behavior and couldn't for the life of me figure out how the hell they were doing it. Then it hit me. I use an extension called "Speed dial" that presents me with all the websites I regularly visit tiled in the browser. Each website is shown with a picture of what the website looks like. Everytime I opened my browser, speed dial decided to refresh the image, and so it interacted with the VMF site, and so VMF thought I had visited the site.

I told SpeedDial to stop refreshing the images, and now it works exactly as I want. Total score. Are you using some sort of extension that might be refreshing the site in the background?

Steve

Dude, I TOTALLY understood everything you just said..................not. I don't know what cracks me up more? Reading you and Jamie's bits and bytes post or realizing how much I don't understand computers. Time to head back to the cave.

"gtscode" said:
If you do find a way to delete your account please let me know I would like to delete mine!!!!

What you can do is delete all your posts and replies.

"cmayna" said:
What you can do is delete all your posts and replies.

Is there a facility to do a mass delete? It would take me months to delete over 20,000 posts if I had to click on every single one.

Back