• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mercury Bobcat wagon

starting to come together....but that alternator needs to go, or at least be cleaned up!

starting to come together....but that alternator needs to go, or at least be cleaned up!
That's the kind of thinking that gets one in trouble...and months (years) behind schedule and thousands over budget!

Looking good Craig. Looks like it will not be much longer to drive.
Yes, we are waiting on a radiator and the trans rebuild kit. That and we both have busy schedules so finding time to work together is tough but we are hoping maybe just a few more weeks!

That's the kind of thinking that gets one in trouble...and months (years) behind schedule and thousands over budget!
yes, it is ugly! He works for Auto Zone so he can get a rebuilt one with his discount (my other son works at Advance Auto and my oldest works at NTB!). So far we have done the "while we are at it" thing and spent a lot on it. In fact the trans is one of those things, as is the Holley, the header, etc.. We could have just stuck the trans back in but I figured while it's out and we are in rebuild mode, let's do it too! The brakes work, at least just rolling it around the driveway and garage. But he want's to go thru those too. We will even pull the diff cover and check out the axle. But this thing is going to be his daily driver. he will know it inside and out, top to bottom!

yeah, the radiator and trans kit came in. I think we just need a few days to put the trans together and stick it in. Button up a few things and fire it up!!!

I'm home from Asia. My son and I tinkered a bit today before he went to work. We got the new alternator on, belts on, wiring all hooked up for distributor, PS lines hooked up, fuel line and filter on. A few other small things. We need to fab a throttle cable bracket. The original carb was sideways. The Holley sits normal. We also still need to drop in the radiator. The shroud is busted up pretty bad and we can't find one so we will run without for now. He got the gas tank in while I was gone. Still lots of little things to do but it is getting there!
IMG_5734.jpg IMG_5735.jpg IMG_5736.jpg

Make sure to not have that air cleaner installed when first firing up the engine. The foam in those things makes a real mess in the event of a backfire through the carb. Ask me how I know. :( I dropped the distributor in wrong once during a quick manifold swap one night. Buttoned everything up and cranked it up. Spent quite a while cleaning all the crap out of the intake after that.

Get her running and the timing set before using it.

Thanks Terry! Yes we will remove it until it's sorted. I suggested it since he has limited hood clearance now. I had one a long time ago and I know what you mean!!!

Glad to see you made it home safely. Also good to see the progress.
thanks, it's good to be home. Still adjusting back to Central Time Zone!
This thing would be easier to put back together if we were the ones who took it apart. Thye had the top end all off and buckets and boxes of stuff in the back. These were in the prime of emission control and it has a huge amount of vacuum lines everywhere!!!

thanks, it's good to be home. Still adjusting back to Central Time Zone!
This thing would be easier to put back together if we were the ones who took it apart. Thye had the top end all off and buckets and boxes of stuff in the back. These were in the prime of emission control and it has a huge amount of vacuum lines everywhere!!!
I bet. I hesitated to text you because of the time difference.

Looks much better with the new alternator. As for the air cleaner...those are really poor choices due to the lack of filtering ability. Hood clearance may dictate the use of it, just make sure he cleans it often.

Looks much better with the new alternator. As for the air cleaner...those are really poor choices due to the lack of filtering ability. Hood clearance may dictate the use of it, just make sure he cleans it often.
Yeah, it's basically a foam sponge about 3/4" thick. Not a great filter I agree. I have a K&N on one of my newr cars. I told him we should treat the foam with the K&N recharge kit. What do you think about trying that?
He really wanted the Holley so we needed the spacer. That put the carb pretty close to the hood. If it was centered we could use a scoop but I think a scoop off to one side would look silly. And when your driving a robin egg blue Bobcat wagon, you can't afford to look silly!

Back