• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustang playing cards

"Sluggo" said:
Personally, I'd like to have the time to remove all the backgrounds and just have the car and the user info on the card. I think background clutter will distract from the objective.

I don't think I agree with that. There are at least some cars where the background is important to the portrayal of the car, like Opentracker's car on the track.

Frank

"sigtauenus" said:
Agree with the sentiments above my reply here. There will always be cars in a project status here. Be proud of what you have now. It was mentioned a couple times doing this again in a couple years with different cars. Today we have 719 members and seem to have a problem getting 50 people to commit. I have a sense that this may not happen at all right now let alone a second time in a couple years.

If the raw cost is $40 and the extra $15 is for shipping and Stangfix, then the price breaks mentioned before do make sense. I didn't actually do the math and thought $55 was the raw cost thus my previous disagreement with discounts.

I also will throw out that I think having the cards by Christmas would be nice, but imposes a time crunch element here that is not necessary may be a distraction to getting this done at all. I like the idea of having the deck of cards and really don't care if I have them in time for Christmas this year. I can just as easily sock them away and give them away next Christmas.

How about we do this, Mel start another topic on this and Sluggo make it a sticky. That way Mel retains the ability to edit it and its easy to reference as the top post in the thread. In that post, keep a running list of who exactly wants to have their car(s) pictured and a second running list of those who want to purchase deck(s) but don't want their car on a card.

At the end of the day, given the current pricing model, we need to buy 1080 decks. For every 50 decks or so that are purchased without pics, that is 1 less that the people who submit pics have to buy. This thought goes back to the idea of a running list of who wants in on this. As the list of those who just want a deck grows, perhaps to 50 or 100, or 150, etc, that in turn means that the buy-in for those who want to be pictured decreases, maybe to the point that many of us with multiple cars decide to submit multiple pics.

Also, Mel, looking back over your posts, something is missing on the math. You said 1080 cards and $2150. Dividing by 50, thats $43 and 21 decks each. Was the $2150 for 1080 decks?

OK, Duane, you make some real good points.

I can start a new topic and then we can make it sticky and I think that is exactly what we need to do.

I will gladly keep a running list of who wants to be on the cards and who just wants to buy.

You are right as people buy the cards the price to those buying the faces will go down.

I am also looking at a smaller quantity even though the price per deck is higher, the out of pocket cost to the people buying the faces is lower over all so those with multiple cars like you and me will be more apt to put more cars on them.

The deadline of Christmas is probably not going to happen, but it could if I get the number of cars soon.

Now all that said, we need to get the lists and forget about the pricing right now and then we can go from there.

So, everyone should take a deep breathe and decide which they would want to do. When I have those lists the math becomes easier and then we can collect the money.

Does that make sense? Can we all work to one goal at a time?

I will go now and start a new topic...

Sluggo please look for it and make it a sticky please?

Mel

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
I don't think I agree with that. There are at least some cars where the background is important to the portrayal of the car, like Opentracker's car on the track.

Frank

I guess that needs to be up to the car's owner. We need to have room for the things that will make them look like cards too.

I have the card dimensions and will work on a couple ideas tonight.

This is going to take time gentlemen.

"Sluggo" said:
I think getting it done by Christmas is going to cause it to wind up being a haphazard endeavor at best. Not to doubt anyone'sabilities, just being realistic.

If we're going to do it, they need to be first class. Logo needs to be flawless, car pics need to be oriented which ever way suits the pic not the car.

Personally, I'd like to have the time to remove all the backgrounds and just have the car and the user info on the card. I think background clutter will distract from the objective.
We can also incorporate the text into the artwork so we don't get stuck with standard fonts on every card. I'd like to see each card be unique like the COTM banners are.

It's certainly not going to hurt to slow it down a bit. We can be way more creative with this if we take out time.

Sluggo, you are absolutely correct. I am not hard and fast with the Christmas deadline.

I like the idea of the cars being on the cards without the backgrounds and the owner's name in the artwork would be cheaper for sure.

I am not looking for this to be a shotty project, I am also not looking for a winter project to encompass all my time and someone else's time and require some staff, if you know what I mean.

One more time we need to get the lists going and get enough cars first and then we can start the artwork project, all while we locate just the right vendor who will 1- do a good job for us and 2 - give us a price we can all live with.

So let's get the complete list of cars first and then I can, with Sluggo's assistance move forward.

Mel

"crustycurmudgeon" said:

Frank

And I don't agree with your disagreeal. I tend to side with Sluggo and think it should be a transparent file just showcasing the car. That way you can still the the suit and the numbers, etc on the card corners.

Thanks Sam...I am good with numbers but names?????

Probably because of my previous career.

Um, as far as the transparent background, there was never a problem on the VMF cards reading the numbers in the corners. The image goes where the shield part of the face cards are.

Mel

I was thinking we'd use avatars as well. We're paying for 4 color so it does not matter how much stuff you put on it.

It's much simpler to resize a pic and blast it on the background than to cut it out nice and neat anyway.

Here's a couple done both ways. I used my images because they were obviously handier for me to access and I do not have a card of choice in mind.

I still prefer the transparency. It allows the car to be stretched a wee bit more also.

cardtest.png
cardtest2.png

I guess I've just never been a fan of the stark white, Photoshopped background. I like the look of the surroundings, the shadows, the "real" look. The white background makes it look artificial and two-dimensional, IMO.

Frank

One vote for the car only with no background clutter. Looks cleaner to me and makes the car stand out. :thu

"70 StangMan" said:
One vote for the car only with no background clutter. Looks cleaner to me and makes the car stand out. :thu

Sorry Frank, but I agree with Sluggo and Dale. The clean background looks more professional, the one with the background amateurish. My opinion.

"Sluggo" said:
I was thinking we'd use avatars as well. We're paying for 4 color so it does not matter how much stuff you put on it.

So would buening's be with the butt offset to the left or to the right?

index.php

"70 StangMan" said:

I'm with Dale.

And Sluggo... the transparent background one is 'da bomb! I like the additional information on the card; i.e. owner, etc. But I don't think location is a must.

I like the transparent one. The background doesn't look as good.
I like sluggos avatar, but I don't think everyones avatars would look right.

I do like the persons info on there too.

Transparent +++
No avatar +++
On line name only ++++

Could you do an interior and engine bay shot in place of the avatars?

Back