• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My rear end, Crown victoria brakes?

Dne'

Hi everyone! Thank goodness all the holidays are past, relatives have gone home, etc. and its back to work! :pep

This is my rear end! (NO, not that rear end! :rof)!
I'm installing the Crown Victoria disc brakes soon. Herb, the man that overhauled my engine is coming over to help. He's a machinist, and he's going to do the machining stuff!
Anyway, I got a pretty good deal on the rear disc setup for about 100.oo! finally a decent deal from ebay!
I guess my question would be: do I go ahead a remove the third member, or just leave well enough alone? I was able to drain the fluid out the end of the axle tube by lifting one end. The fluid looked ok, no metal flakes, etc., I have the brake lines, and after all the cutting, grinding, then I'll paint it, the put it all back together. I will be replacing the axle bearings and axle seals.
IMG_7496.jpg

This is obviously one of the rear disc components. I know pretty much what to do, just curious if anyone has done this swap, and have any suggestions?
IMG_7495.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a Versailles swap on Chuck's 67. It looked nothing like that. Does that setup fit that rear end?

Is that your original rear or does it have 5 lug axles?

That looks more like the exploder (explorer) rear disc, it has an internal drum for the e-brake. I'd pull the center, but be carefull, its heavy.

I was told it was from the CV. This rearend, I bought from a man in Dallas, along with a motor, driveshaft, C4. So, this isn't the rear end from my stang.
I've already bolted it up once, but needs some work to make fit. I do have the 5 lug wheels on this axle.
IMG_7476.jpg

I found this link, I don't know if you can open it, but it describes in detail of how to do it>
http://lists.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/classic-mustangs/2004-October/037502.html

I guess my question would be: do I go ahead a remove the third member, or just leave well enough alone?

Removing the third member isn't going to gain you anything. It might be easier to clean the exterior of the assembly while it's removed, but that's about it. As long as the seals don't show any signs of leaking, I'd leave it installed.

"pnandy" said:
Did you make yourself the adpater plate so you can mount the rear discs correctly?

What's a adpater? like a po-tater? :naughty :show Sorry, couldn't help myself ;D

I knew what nandy was talking about! Actually I didn't even catch it!
Bad news~ you know how it is when you buy something, you may not use it for months! Finally after laying stuff out, I realized I have two left hand disc units!
There are no adapter plates. I just modify the axle flange on the housing, nothing that a sawzall won't take care of, then it mounts flush to the flange, but where it gets tricky is making a spacer that keeps the axle from sliding in/out when going around turns. the write up above explains the process in detail. I'm not that great at explaining tech stuff. :hide

when i said adpater i meant spacer i actually bought some of my parts from fastmerc (he made me a spacer) wish i would of bought whole kit from him. he also gave me instructions on how to dothe conversion i think haven't looked at the parts since summer lol probably try to do the rear discs summer 09

THANK YOU!!! I'll be contacting him in a few minutes~ he wasn't home when I called. I'm embarressed to say that I thought the guy that I bought the disc brake setup from, sent me two lefts! lol What a dumb butt I am! I didn't know they were staggered brakes! I'll let you know what he has to say and how he can help me!
dne'

dont worry your not the only one i did little research bought off ebay for 100 bucks got rusted crap! Then merc told me 280 or smthn like that for the whole kit and spacers i hope to keep my costs under 300 when im done

Further comment on the 3rd member. If you pull it, there are some brass washers behind the nuts that hold it to the housing. It's a good idea to replace those if you pull it apart. As Dave said, if you think it's okay, there is no real reason to pull it apart. What did the rear axle come out of? You said you would have some issues to make it fit... what might that be?

Tarafied, I'm just going to leave the 3rd member in. I think the fitment may have been in regards to the upgrade to the rear disc from the Crown vic brakes. I'm just going back to simplicity and re-installing the rear drum brakes. It's not going to be a race car, just a Sunday driver. As for where the rear end came> I bought it from a young man out of Dallas. He was upgrading his entire Mustang, including the rear end. So I got it from him for 250.oo. I do have the axles out, and it does need axle bearings and seals while I'm at it.

IMG_7496.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

Back