• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No Brake lights!

Well it was the turn signal switch. I have been working on swapping the 68 colomn and PS onto my 67 and I used the 68 turn signal switch. The 68 has a few more wires, different plug end and uses female pin connectors vs the 67 male pin connectors and rectangle plug end. I have connected the 68 female switch to the female 67 harness via jumper wires right now and the brake lights work. I guess if I can't find the right male pin connector ends I'll just cut and splice the wires (that is not as clean looking though). This has been a real pain in the *$$!

"Sluggo" said:
I spent some time looking at the wiring diagram and there are only two things the brake lights and flashers share.

1. The ground at the rear body.
2. The turn signal switch.

My money is on the turn signal switch.

The headlight switch supplies the power to the brake light switch on the green w/red wire.
The brake light switch outputs power to the turn signal switch on the green wire which is
where all the magic happens.

You can also read this post I hunted down to add validity my diagnosis. (like i need validation) :naughty

http://forums.mustangmonthly.com/70/6715630/vintage-mustangs/brake-lights-and-turn-signal-not-working/index.html

Ahhhh yes...... the sweet smell of validation!
:pep :pep :pep :pep :pep :ban :ban :ban :ban :ban

"Midlife" said:
Having re-read all of Tarafied's posts, here's the low-down:
No brake lights under normal conditions.
When using 4-way flasher, rear lights stop blinking when brakes are pressed (this is expected, as the fronts should stop blinking as well).
With 4-way flasher disconnected, still no brake lights.
9 VDC at one lead into the brake switch, 0 at the other. Jumpering the brake switch still yields no brake lights at rear.
Rear brake lights don't flash with 4-way blinker, but front ones do. (This is contrary to description above).
Rear running lights (separate filament) and turn signal indicators work.

With 4-way flashers enabled, you should see all four corners blink.
With 4-way flashers enabled and brake depressed, all four corners should be on and no blinking.

With all of the above, I would agree that the problem is at the turn signal switch or the connector to the turn signal switch. First, I would ensure that the green/black wire going to the turn signal connector at the base of the steering column is making positive contact. If that is true, then the problem is in the turn signal switch itself. The switch is a mechanical/electrical connector, and is often gummed up with grease and dirt, which can affect the electrical continuity. Remove the positive battery terminal, remove the steering wheel, and clean the turn signal switch (use electrical spray cleaner with small straw into the guts of the part just under the steering wheel. You should try and lightly pull it out of the base to access the guts). Try everything again. If still no positive results, then replace the turn signal switch.

Vindication for me too! Way to go, Tarafied!

Back