• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

On the road again....

Its NOT Horse Canyon....Its Dead Horse Point State Park, and 22 miles outside of Moab (stayed there 4 days while visiting Canyonlands NP & Arches NP).....not a drive through Kelly but a WOW when you get to the point and look out over the horse shoe canyon below.

Zion was a zoo...but if you're just doing a drive through it would be ok. Capitol Reef is also a great drive-through. Bryce was also quite busy.

I'll show you a great drive on the map when we meet up at Reno.
Oh, excuse me. Been a while since I was there.

I second Kelly regarding Snow Canyon. It is just south of me, been there many times. We had phone lines there that I had to locate out.

Goblin valley is awesome from pics I've seen.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So after Moab we drove north. Same highway that goes through Moab goes right through the Tetons and Yellowstone. It actually a nice drive.
We stopped off at Vernal, UT at Dinosaur National Monument for a day. Quite a wall of bones.

Next it was on to the Grand Tetons. No camping reservations but what could go wrong. Got three nights at half off...I'm old you know. $15 a night is not bad. We were boondocking (no outside services) but we had plenty of water/elect/gas.

Next we headed up to Yellowstone. Now I knew that Fishing Bridge RV camp was not open (remodeling thru 2020) and the rest were all booked but we tried anyway. We were told that Lewis Lake the camp furthest south (which we passed already and had a sign "campground full") might be our only hope.
It was 10 am and we headed there. Found a spot..claimed it for 3 nights at a whopping $7.50/ nt. Then proceeded on our tour of Yellowstone.
Of course this is the height of tourist season but the roads were pretty clear and we just passed up the crowded sights until later in the day.
We have been to YNP about 7 times now. Can you tell its my wife's favorite?

In the Tetons we saw two bull moose. In Yellowstone we saw the usual sight of bison.....singular up close (almost walked into one walking down a driveway)...and the plains with a few herds. Quite the sight. While driving I mentioned that we needed to see a bear and on cue I spotted a black bear across the Yellowstone river. We pulled over walked down to the river and took a few picks of Yogi eating.

We hadn't seen a bull elk yet (did see some cows) but on our last evening walking back from the main lodge there he was, laying in the grass.

So all we missed was a grizzly...and the wife says that's okay.

After a night in Dillon, MT we then headed to Craters of the Moon National Monument for a night.

Taking some short jaunts home we are in Ely, NV and will stop in Reno for tomorrow night before we head home.

Then its get ready Reno again and HAN

And then in August we head out for another cross country drive.....my goal is Maine again.

Might stop by Craig's again and on the way back I'll stop by Mark's place and ring the doorbell and run.

Man, you are doing a bunch of pieces of trips that I've done as well! I remember my first trip out with Jane in 2014, my first major destination was Yellowstone / Grand Tetons. My dad came with me because he "wanted to see Yellowstone again" but really it was probably more of a "want to make sure you don't die in this completely untested rebuilt 1960s muscle car" kind of situation :p

Craters of the Moon was my first solo destination, ever! Went right after dropping my dad off at the airport in Jackson Hole. That place was wild. Quite a feeling of isolation while you're out there. But man, camping sure is dead cheap out there. I think I paid 8 bucks for a spot at a nice KOA in Arco that had showers and free ice cream.

Your Yellowstone camping situation sounds a lot like my Glacier situation... I almost never book campsites (though that is changing as camping is becoming more popular, I think) and when I got to Glacier I was basically told to just stop at every campground on Going-to-the-Sun road to see if there was an availability. Well of course I get all the way over to the lake on the western side when an inn there finds that a spot has opened up... in St. Mary, the place that I came from, a 2-hr drive away. Ughhhhh.

Can't wait to get back out on the road again! 10 days now. See ya in Reno!

Back