• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

painting stripes

Dne'

I'm just full of questions! I am going to put stripes from the front bumper to the rear someday soon. My bumpers will be painted the same as the car and the stripes will be on them as well. I know I can purchase stripes, but would it be better to paint them on? It's just some areas like over the cowl/grill, I don't see how stick on would go over that area. I can't remember which of you have the stripes under the hood on the firewall, but I'd like to attempt that too! So, what do ya think? :show

Talk to Laurie. Her current project, Trouble, has painted stripes where some cars don't even have places. It looks sharp but is a lot of work.

Definitely paint them. It's not that hard, it just takes patience and a lot of beer (after the painting is done, not during).

Stripes are a pain in the arse - but look good.

I painted/striped my valance off of the car and my stripes are a tad off now that I have the valance bolted on. But I'm not going to worry about it (too much) since there is such a big break from the hood stripes to the valance stripes.

But definetly paint them. And its best to have the parts bolted on when you lay the stripes out. And remove them to paint.

Ghost stripes kick @$$........

1_22_09_08_7_56_28.jpg

I was going to do a ghost C stripe on mine, but it would have drove me nuts if my door ever sagged so I didn't do them.

I appreciate everyone's input! The question is mainly, how do I accomplish this task?
Do I just use painters masking tape for what I want my stripes to look like, paint over my new orange paint(not there yet), and that's it? I saw on Ebay, a stencil kit for about 125.oo., I know you Pro's out there can describe the process, or I guess I can just search the internet and find out how. Maybe the guys at Brault can advise me. They know a little bit.
Thanks~

Measuring tape and fine line tape. You can also use a laser level to keep your lines straight.

Don't waste your money on the stencils. If that buck and a quarter is burning a hole in your pocket
a bribe of diet dr. pepper will get you a long way. Rick lured me all the way to Dallas and worked me
all weekend for about 10 bux worth of dp. He was however gracious enough to treat me to some
fine meals and a couch to crash on. Too bad he only let me get about 30 minutes of sleep.

"Sportbikechick" said:
I appreciate everyone's input! The question is mainly, how do I accomplish this task?
Do I just use painters masking tape for what I want my stripes to look like, paint over my new orange paint(not there yet), and that's it? I saw on Ebay, a stencil kit for about 125.oo., I know you Pro's out there can describe the process, or I guess I can just search the internet and find out how. Maybe the guys at Brault can advise me. They know a little bit.
Thanks~

If you want LeMans stripes, Tony Branda has the measurements in his catalog, and maybe on the website. They are not the same width the length of the car. I would decide what style you want, then either draw it on paper, or lay out the tape and see how it looks. When it comes time to paint, you must know your measurements because time will be of the essence. The way we did them on my fastback (bc/cc) was paint the Hertz Gold first, then tape off the stripes and paint the blue basecoat, pull the striping tape, and clearcoat--all in one day. By doing it that way, the stripes will be buried in he clear and you won't feel the edges.

I didn't know you could put tape on fresh paint(or a few hours after it's cured). I could just see me pulling the tape off and my base coat comes off with it! :hide I'm still a few weeks(if not months) from painting, so I'll be thinking about what I want. Thanks everyone!
I do like the looks of the Ghost stripes Sluggo, but that's pretty advanced for a novice?

"The way we did them on my fastback (bc/cc) was paint the Hertz Gold first, then tape off the stripes and paint the blue basecoat, pull the striping tape, and clearcoat--all in one day. By doing it that way, the stripes will be buried in he clear and you won't feel the edges"

"Sportbikechick" said:
I didn't know you could put tape on fresh paint(or a few hours after it's cured). I could just see me pulling the tape off and my base coat comes off with it! :hide I'm still a few weeks(if not months) from painting, so I'll be thinking about what I want. Thanks everyone!
I do like the looks of the Ghost stripes Sluggo, but that's pretty advanced for a novice?

Stripes is stripes. Ghosting in some flames and skulls would complicate matters a bit. :boo

"Sportbikechick" said:

"The way we did them on my fastback (bc/cc) was paint the Hertz Gold first, then tape off the stripes and paint the blue basecoat, pull the striping tape, and clearcoat--all in one day. By doing it that way, the stripes will be buried in he clear and you won't feel the edges"

You use special auto painting tape, and pull it away from the paint at a sharp angle very carefully. Check out my website, there is a series of pages showing how we painted my fastback.

http://www.tucsonpony.com/Troubleexterior.html

Thank you Laurie! How special and what excellent craftsmanship! :notworthy: I had it backwards! lol
So you lay down the stripe color first over the primer, then cover the part with the special tape/paper that will be revealed later after painting the actual color of the car, then clear coat?

Is there a step down/small ledge from the main color to the stripe even with the clear coat? or I should say, how do you get the stripe and main color the same depth/thickness? I hope I'm wording this correctly!

You're welcome. Yes, if you are doing basecoat/clearcoat, it's easier to do the stripe first. You have to watch the time window before you need to sand, and since you don't really want to sand basecoat, this method works. Put on at least four coats of clear and it will bury the edge between the stripe and the rest of the car. Then, when you do the wetsanding, it will smooth over and you won't be able to feel the stripe.

If you are painting with single stage, however, the process is reversed. You would do the body first, let it dry overnight, then tape the stripe and paint it, immediately followed by the clearcoat. You have a 48-hour window when you use single stage before you have to sand.

I'm glad you informed me about the single stage process, cause that's what I'll be doing. I'm a ways off from doing this, but I'm just trying to get things in order and be prepared for that day! :dance Your Mustangs look totally awesome! :notworthy:
Thanks,
dne'

I remember using a very small and fine edge black tape when we taped off Red for the stripes. Then on top of the black tape we placed the masking tape and paper to protect the other shot color. Yes the Shelby stripe dimensions are available on line.

I gotta agree with ole Sluggo on this one..... stickers are okay for side stripes, but not for Lemans Stripes. Paint 'em on after the base coat has been laid down and then clear coat the whole car.

Back