• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pandemic Quarantine Projects Thread

Howdy. I’m still grounded from flying but have been working from home as much as I can in my line of work. Anyway, I finally got the Roadrunner drivable and took it to get the exhaust done.
3d9ad58b185cc4705792346481741003.jpg

e5b7745be40c4277658962c1482650c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrary to the norm, I have been SO busy these past couple months with work. No time for anything fun even though I haven't been on a plane in months. So today I figure I'd take the afternoon off and take the car for a drive. Hit a gas station to top her off and when I went fire it up...it barely turned over. Lucky I got it to start. Odd. So pull up to the first light after exiting the station, look at my gauges and see my volts reading just above 10! Stab the fun pedal and the needle doesn't even wiggle. SOB! Next I see the old temp needle climbing fast (electric fan ain't turnin'). By the time I got into the garage I was nearing 225. Parked it and went inside to type this. Deal with it later. Quite the reward for all the effort at work the past 10 weeks. :mad:

So I got me a Pandemic Project now.

Did the belt slip?

Found a small leak on the transmission.

20200605_184743.jpg

Someone was nice enough to leave these spare parts here for me :mad:

20200605_190202.jpg

Thinkong of pulling the old C4 down to Jumpstart my interest in working on the car again. Need to pull the C4, clean the tunnel area, and decide what manual trans to stuff in there (see other thread I started).

Nothing worse than an anti-gravity leak! :p

Not a belt issue, I'm sure. It is run on its own belt of the 1" wide, flat serpentine type. Hard to believe the alt has failed at just a couple thousand miles as it was not a cheap piece but ya never know. I've got the system fused as it feeds to the trunk mount battery so maybe some thing along those lines. Check into it this weekend.

Well my fuel gauge wasn't working again. So I pulled the instrurment cluster...got it to read full ( as expected) and then noticed the oil pressure and temp gauge also pegged. There's some gremlins afoot here.!

Well my fuel gauge wasn't working again. So I pulled the instrurment cluster...got it to read full ( as expected) and then noticed the oil pressure and temp gauge also pegged. There's some gremlins afoot here.!
Pull that thing out get it on a bench and rewire it all. Get a connector set-up that can accommodate the number of wires going to it and use it. That way you will have a plug-n-play cluster that is easy to remove and troubleshoot if the need ever arises again. make sure to use quality terminals and SOLDER everything, covering with shrink tubing (better yet get terminals that have heat shrink built in to hold the wires tight.

Never was a fan of the terminal with heat shrink on them. Never seems to shrink down as much/properly. Lately I scrape that pre coated stuff off and just use normal heat shrink. Works like a charm.

Like everything there are various levels of quality. I hear what you're saying but I've got the shrink type that work well. Of, course I've been know to still use additional shrink sleeve. Wirecare. com has lots of good stuff, for example. There are even terminals now with solder already in side. Crimp, heat and go for the best connection.

I bought a set of those with solder already in them. My heat gun couldn't concentrate the heat well. Had to buy a nozzle. But the connection worked. After a couple practices.(is that a word?)

Pulled the C4 out today. Went as smooth as could be. Was worried since I didn't have a dedicated trans jack, just a nice floor jack.

20200606_155637.jpg

Looking at possibly ordering a TKO today, too.

Attachments

• 20200606_155108.jpg
    20200606_155108.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 4
Back