• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pitfalls for buying a 2006 Mustang?

blu67

My son is looking at a 2006 V6 to purchase for his first car. 132K miles. $3300. Any pitfalls in this year to look out for? I haven't purchased a used car in a Loooooong time and I've never purchased a late model Mustang. Good car or no?

I've never heard or read of anything inherently wrong or bad with them. The 4.0L is pretty well recognized as a solid, reliable engine. Obviously, the previous owner maintenance will have a lot to say about a particular used car.

I've never heard or read of anything inherently wrong or bad with them. The 4.0L is pretty well recognized as a solid, reliable engine. Obviously, the previous owner maintenance will have a lot to say about a particular used car.
For sure. Hoping to take a look this weekend. Not sure if the insurance company classifies it as a "sports car" and thus has a higher premium but hopefully not.

Door panels delaminate early on; if the car has been in snowy weather (outside), various welds break due to ice expansion and causes the car to leak terribly. Reports on the web have AC blend doors malfunction and are expensive to repair.

Did he end up buying the car? I ask because my oldest just bought a '07 GT for his first real project car. It's a perfectly good driving car which will soon get blown up and likely never put back together. Like father like son, they say. :p

I have an 07 with the 4.0L, It must not have been well maintained because we bought it with a little 60K miles. Timing chain(s) failed before 97K miles. Requires engine removal due to right side chain being on the rear of the engine.

Did he end up buying the car? I ask because my oldest just bought a '07 GT for his first real project car. It's a perfectly good driving car which will soon get blown up and likely never put back together. Like father like son, they say. :p
He didn't. He ended up buying a 2016 Focus sedan. Really nice driving car for him. In great shape and good gas mileage. AND it was money he had saved. I kicked in about $1500 and my wife handled the tax and lic. but he's happy and that's what matters.:D

Door panels delaminate early on; if the car has been in snowy weather (outside), various welds break due to ice expansion and causes the car to leak terribly. Reports on the web have AC blend doors malfunction and are expensive to repair.
I'm in Fla, so no ice issues, but I did have to replace the A/C blend door on my 07. You can do it on your own if you have or someone has smaller hands. the one that usually goes bad is the passenger side upper left. You have to remove the glove box and even then I was on my back on the floor reaching up.

Back