• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Random thoughts on the Noobies on the VMF

Definitely a wandering thread here. I jumped in to reply to Zforce, the OP.
There's a reason the VMF has more noobs and fly-by posters. Every griped about how "search"on the old VMF didn't work. Well, bigod it does now and then some. Not only is there a custom Google search for the forum itself, the forum is reasonably high on Google's hit list. A surprising amount of the times you search Google for something technical about old Mustangs there will be a link to at least one thread on the first page of results. (And it's STILL about even money that Johnpro will have a post in that thread.) Try it and see. So obviously if somebody is searching for answers on Google and keeps seeing results from a particular forum, eventually they are going to stop in and check it out. Maybe join in.
I like noobs, even if they ask annoyingly repetitive questions. I hate nothing much worse than to see a noob told "do a search" rather be answered. Even if their question is stupid. Why? Because we NEED noobs, all of us. The only reason there is a buttload of info out there and we have such a wonderful choice of vendors for parts is that there are so many of us out there messing with these old cars. It may not be so long before this is no longer the case so we need to encourage everybody we can. Younger folks often desire a car later in life because of who was driving it back when they were young (James Bond, Bullit, their cool uncle, etc). Now more often than not young folks see old/fat/bald/gray people driving vintage Mustangs are the cars, cool as they may be are perceived as grandpa's ride. There will always be gearhead types who just like Mustangs but at some point the number of active vintage Mustang hobbyists/owners will start decreasing. I'd like postpone that as long as I can and as much a I can. Vendor support is already decreasing. Junkyards are vendors. When is the last time you visited a junkyard and found a useful part for an old Mustang?
There is a pretty old guy down the road that has a small collection of 1930's type cars. Neat cars but nothing terribly valuable. He's getting a bit too frail to fool with them and he knows it. What will become of these cars? I personally wouldn't want to keep and own a Model T or even a Model A if you gave it to me. My kids would be even less interested. A growing trend with the youngest generation is that they don't care to own a car at all. At some point me and my cars will be that old guy and you may be too.

"GypsyR" said:
Definitely a wandering thread here.

You have NO idea how much "wandering" goes on here :roll

Welcome aboard Gypsy :thu

"do a search" is going to be my standard answer for every post about brakes...(sorry, "breaks") and every other topic that has been done to death.

Unless you are the last new person on the interweb you should really know proper search etiquette, no matter the forum.

"Unless you are the last new person on the interweb you should really know proper search etiquette, no matter the forum"
Should or not, there are people who have been on the net for quite some time and have never actually used a forum. There are folks who are just now getting on the net. There are who are just now getting into using a computer for something. Seriously. I taught a beginning class in computing at a local vo-tech school for a while. Such folks are STILL coming out of the woodwork. The students I had taught me a few things too. Just because newbies are in unfamiliar territory doesn't mean they don't have anything to contribute. Especially when they are encouraged to stick around.

Now more often than not young folks see old/fat/bald/gray people driving vintage Mustangs are the cars, cool as they may be are perceived as grandpa's ride.

I resemble that remark...

I was the last of all of my friends and family to get on the net. I totally believe that there is a huge amount of knowledgeable guys/gals who just don't know how to type so they stay away from the keyboard. It is a fact, that ORP would not be around if I hadn't taken two years of typing in high school. I look forward to new people, you never know what they have to offer till they chime in.

At some point, we all had just one post. :sarc

"Opentracker" said:
I was the last of all of my friends and family to get on the net. I totally believe that there is a huge amount of knowledgeable guys/gals who just don't know how to type so they stay away from the keyboard. It is a fact, that ORP would not be around if I hadn't taken two years of typing in high school. I look forward to new people, you never know what they have to offer till they chime in.

Out of my friends, I was the first to discover a home computer. I started out back in 85 with a Commodore 64 and a tape drive which was later upgraded to a 5.25 disc drive so I could go "On-Line" to local Bulletin Boards and eventually a Commodore only system called Q-Link. To this day,maybe 3 of the crowd I hung with at the time are on-line. The rest refuse,because either like back then,The weren't interested or they just don't want to learn something new.All,at some point have stripped cars down to the nuts and bolts and could put them back together blindfolded. They'll show you hands on, But couldn't describe what they did or how they did it. They just can't put it on paper or screen for this instants.

As for the search features, What happens when your thinking of something,Type it in,Search it,and either get nothing or get something completely different than what you thought you typed in? Is the noob supposed to just go away and keep an eye on the board hoping that someone who could word the problem better post the question? I say no,Post away. If you thing the subject has been covered a billion times,Don't open it.Some one will answer it. I'd rather set somebody on the right path then say "Hey try the search feature". I don't know about anybody on this board, But I was taught back yard mechanics by a family friend,He could have said "Hey,go buy a book". But instead showed me hands on how to reoair things on the car that started out basic(like oil changes) to what he considered major(Brake Jobs and axel bearings). One thing he hammered into me was "Don't be afraid to ask" and "Just because you think you know everything,You don't". It's how people learn.

"KTJMcG" said:
One thing he hammered into me was "Don't be afraid to ask" and "Just because you think you know everything,You don't". It's how people learn.

+1

"Opentracker" said:

i'm pretty much in the same boat. resisted getting one for a long time mainly because i was intimidated by not knowing anything about one. before my mother passed in 2000, she gave my cousin some money to get me one. she always thought ahead & kept telling me that in the future i would have to have one to survive. never had any typing classes though, i still go at it with one finger & after 12 yrs. can type just as fast as anyone with formal typing skills....

As a software developer, the last thing I usually want to do is use the computer except to converse with my buds on Stangfix. One of my goals in life is to be the last man without a Facebook account.

"janschutz" said:
One of my goals in life is to be the last man without a Facebook account.

Gonna have to live longer than me for that to happen. I don't text, twitter or fasebook.

My comp. is over 5 years old and I've never had an issue with it. Not one. Shari has all kinds of problems with hers. Our tech spends 5min. cleaning up mine and 45-1hr on hers.

"janschutz" said:
See, without this forum, I would never knew I had a kinder spirit way out in California.

you got another to the northeast too, although i do use text alot during the day. comes in real handy working in the shop & not having to "drop & run" to get the phone.

facebook has caused a bunch of issues on our computer, at least in steph's user account. i have to clean out her files weekly to keep it running, but my part gets a quick cleanup every couple months or so. i know when hers gets clogged up as i catch her logging on in the "guest" account....
dont understand what the big deal is about facebook, she usually gets pissed off at most of what she sees on there anyway...

Been on line since about 92/93 time frame......we got a low cost unit to try.....my son (17) found things he shouldn't have the second day we had it and before I could figure out what I was doing. I had to learn fast.....and set him straight. My Dad and I were making Honda Helix Scooter Accessories so I put the catalog on line and never slowed down. Dad would not even use the thing as a typewriter. He felt the old manual worked fine.

I do text just to keep up with the grandkids but no facebook, tweet, twitter, or anything else in the "social media" crap.

It does surprise me the number of people I run across that don't realize how easy it is to search anything. Web sites have a specific search button but also, for general searching, just type the search word into the browser bar and hit enter....you will find the world.

I will also answer someones request with references I find from searching for them.....a ton of good info out there plus the new we add all the time.

Back