• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Random thoughts on the Noobies on the VMF

I'm just here to get more posts so I can sell crap in classifieds! ok ok, I kid...

While I'm pretty new to both sites, I used to be much more active on StangNet years ago but that site went way down hill (especially if you want info on classics). VMF seems like a good place to find LOTS of info (yeah, gotta sort through the crap like every other big forum). But while SF doesn't have the huge numbers, it seems like more of an actual "community" where people help each other out instead of bickering constantly.

The Subaru community is no different. We've got the big site with lots of members and elitists, but tons of info as well. Then there's the local community site with few threads, but great people. I use the chatbox on that one more than the forum itself.

Gotta say, though...the search here on SF is pretty rough. If I can't find something by just browsing, I don't bother. I think it's just a limitation of this forum software, but it can be annoying. vBulliten (VMF) is pretty nice, even if the people on the forum aren't.

"KTJMcG" said:
If I remember correctly, Didn't Mid and kketell get into something over post counts back in day?

They were going to redo their nuptials but everyone said don't bother the marriage wouldn't last. It didn't.
Mid went back to sheep and Ken...just left. :roll :yah

"Fast68back" said:
I think thats how I found VMF was through KKETELL's website. Does he still have his FB/401K/Money pit?

Last time I saw Kent's car, it was having Spintech mufflers installed at the muffler shop next door to my painter's shop about 7 years ago. IIRC He was still having drive-ability issues with the fuel injected race motor he had built and was planning to de-tune it somewhat to make it more streetable. Can't say I've seen that car run since then.

"James67" said:
I'm just now getting back here after a long absence, Haven't been back there even longer.

+1

Now that my car is mostly finished (i say "mostly" because these cars are never "finished"), I kinda disappeared from Mustang forums. However, I haven't been on VMF since StangFix was started. Although I've been checked out of the online Mustang scene lately, it does feel like coming home when I log into the Fix.

"burnout289" said:
Gotta say, though...the search here on SF is pretty rough. If I can't find something by just browsing, I don't bother. I think it's just a limitation of this forum software, but it can be annoying.

I just went to google & typed in:

site:stangfix.com

... and hit search. Then I saved the resulting page as a favorite. Now when I want to search the site, I go to that favorite, and search for whatever I am looking for. For example:

site:stangfix.com reupholster seats

Works for me.

I just re-read this thread. I consider myself a noob. I am just about done with the first restoration of a Mustang that I have ever attempted. I have been a member on VMF since '09. I have fewer than 50 posts.

I have found lots of useful info on this site and on the VMF site that has helped me during my restoration by using the search.

I generally spend quite a bit of time searching threads before posting new help threads. I do not have a lot of experience so, I don't reply to a lot of threads. I don't always get responses to threads I start so, sometimes I go ask locals for help.

I have found a few other sites that seem to be more tolerant of "noobs" but, there is a lot more info on this site and on VMF. I really appreciate the help that I receive and well honestly there are probably a lot of things I would not have been able to do on my car with out the help from the 2 sites.

So, what is the point of a thread like this? Should I not be asking questions if I don't find the answer searching through the existing threads or, go to some other site besides here or VMF?

Ask....we will tell you.....and most likely more than once. There is so much experience on this site.....I don't think there has ever been a question about classic Mustangs that has gone un-answered....

As our motto says.....
StangFix....even if it ain't broke, we will tell ya how to fix it.

"cmayna" said:
I and so many miss JohnPro so much. He contributed so much......
We just moved to Lincoln, about five miles from Roseville where John lived. I've thought of him many times since we've been up here. He was a great guy.

"GTchris" said:
So, what is the point of a thread like this? Should I not be asking questions if I don't find the answer searching through the existing threads or, go to some other site besides here or VMF?

You should always feel free to ask whatever it is you need answered regardless of which site you are on. Even if it has been asked and answered, it's possible a person would need clarification or further info. Anyone who don't like the fact that a question has been posed and answered before should probably get over it.

Chris,
All of us are noobies if not in the mustang world then in something else like trying to remember how to smoke fish like me. As a noobie, I know that probably my next question has probably been answered numerous times but either I dont have the time to search or I'm hoping a nice vintaged member will be tolerant enough to help me by answering my question. That's just the way it is.

Yes the Fix does infact have lots of very experienced members who at times need to be reminded that we were all green horns at one time and should encourage noobies to join, ask questions and learn so they can one day help others with confidence. That's payback.

And yes when noobies start helping others out that might be scary but I think it's human nature to do so. The key is for others to help identify potential mislead answers and get them corrected without spanking the previous answerer too hard which might get them discouraged. And finally, just because a person is a noobie, it doesn't mean they don't know anything. I have been corrected tons of times from those with far less hit counts than me. Just the way it is.

I'm tired typing all this from the iphone - whew!

TapaYakin' from my iPhone

"Sluggo" said:
You should always feel free to ask whatever it is you need answered regardless of which site you are on. Even if it has been asked and answered, it's possible a person would need clarification or further info. Anyone who don't like the fact that a question has been posed and answered before should probably get over it.

+ 1

So does anyone know of a good Vintage Mustang forum other than the VMF and this one? Only reason I ask is that this one sometimes doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but would like to find one that is a little more active, and don't really want to go back to the VMF.

"bravenrace" said:
So does anyone know of a good Vintage Mustang forum other than the VMF and this one? Only reason I ask is that this one sometimes doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but would like to find one that is a little more active, and don't really want to go back to the VMF.

There is no place better than here. 10 lashes with a wet noodle for even thinking that way.

Back