• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rat Rod a Mustang?

"gtscode" said:
Rat Rod's and 60's muscle cars don't mix! Now a flat black sleeper is another story, nut "rar rod" nope! Other than that :nta

Flat black is going to be Fred's paint scheme until I can save up enough money for a nice silver blue metallic or caspian blue metallic paint job.

Just ENJOY Gertrude as you make repairs Kat, don't stress out too much about it. We all hit speed bumps on this bumpy road of restoring and enjoying our cars.

I'd just hang in there and play the wait and see game...fix up what you can when you can.

I went with the faded rusty red paint (hence the name) for a good while till I finally had an opportunity to paint the Mustang.

"AzPete" said:
A flat black paint job is a pain to have good.

Is a flat black paint job just as talented at showing imperfections as a glossy black paint job? I don't think I've ever looked that close at a car painted like that, so, yea, I'm serious. lol

They show but in a different manor. No shine to reflect but just a dent/scratch or whatever.

Kat,
A rat rod Stang might not be the ticket but a "modified" Mustang would be pretty cool. And you just need to cut all the rust out and your there!
index.php

"tarafied1" said:
Kat,
A rat rod Stang might not be the ticket but a "modified" Mustang would be pretty cool. And you just need to cut all the rust out and your there!
index.php

:lol :lol

Can the cowl be prepared from underneath the dash?

I'm not afraid of painting my '66 flat black when the time comes. I wouldn't put those rat rod chrome dish hubcaps though! Or, any rat art paraphernalia.

"buckeyedemon" said:
90% of the time these "rat rods" are just unfinished cars. annoying.

Most of the ones I've seen at shows are just that, unfinished projects. I've seen some finished rat rods that still keep that unfinished look but you can still tell it's finished.

I think I just confused myself. :lol

I like the creativity that goes into some rat rods, J's is a great example. The fact that the body is rough is cool because it represents the days when "going" was more important than "showin"
I don't think a flawless car is necessarily better but I do agree, the rat rod thing is "kinda" period thing for hot rods in the 50's. Mustangs don't make good rat rods but that doesn't mean they have to be flawless to be cool. Back in my day, when street racing, we had sleepers, which were rough and often jucky looking just to keep people from thinking we had more under the hood. Of course word eventually gets out but my point is your car is still cool. It's got that old school street racer vibe going for it!

"tarafied1" said:
I like the creativity that goes into some rat rods, J's is a great example. The fact that the body is rough is cool because it represents the days when "going" was more important than "showin"
I don't think a flawless car is necessarily better but I do agree, the rat rod thing is "kinda" period thing for hot rods in the 50's. Mustangs don't make good rat rods but that doesn't mean they have to be flawless to be cool. Back in my day, when street racing, we had sleepers, which were rough and often jucky looking just to keep people from thinking we had more under the hood. Of course word eventually gets out but my point is your car is still cool. It's got that old school street racer vibe going for it!

Thanks for the nod Craig. And rat rods are definetly "period" specific. Anything after the mid 50's era, IMO, is not eligible for rat rod status.

And to me, Rat Rods are all about the creativity & originallity - as where in our Mustang community it's all very similiar, there is a "standard" to be followed - how do these bolts go together, etc, etc, etc.. We buy parts, massage them and bolt on (for the most part)... following how Ford did it.

"buckeyedemon" said:
Insert Quote
90% of the time these "rat rods" are just unfinished cars. annoying.

I don't think that is a very fair statement. Is any car ever really finished...? There are a lot of upgrades that I would like to make to my "finished" mustang.

I agree with the finished statement for sure. Also with the limits to creativity. With muscle cars in general, if you venture too far from what's accepted your car becomes a freak show, as for rat rods, I've seen 'em with tractor grilles and machine guns mounted on 'em! and they look good that way... try getting away with that on a Mustang!
329.jpg

356.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
I don't think that is a very fair statement. Is any car ever really finished...? There are a lot of upgrades that I would like to make to my "finished" mustang.

thanks for clarifying the true intent of my post.

i'm cool with someone putting forth the effort to purposely create a car with the intentions of a rat rod. i respect that.

not being finished, or not having time or money is perfectly acceptable and i respect that too. just don't call it a Rat Rod and expect me to think it's cool.

ACTUALLY.......

I've been envisioning a "Rat Stang" for a few months now... :eek (Jeremy's a bad influence.....)

Think rat rod meets a well-worn, used & abused, competition car...

Start with a 65-70 coupe, cut the top completely off, and chop the windshield frame down to about 6" tall. Maybe a NASCAR-style cage?... Slam that sucker to the GROUND, late-model 18-20" rubber on flat black wheels, cut the wheel lips clear up to the body lines so they'll "fit".
A nice big 429/460 with a tunnel ram, sitting up high enough that even the valvecovers are above the hoodline. Car would be so low that you'd run side-exits where the rear 1/4 vents used to be... Big lightening holes in the front valance and rear taillight panel, competition fuel filler thru the trunklid...

I'd even paint it a DIRTY, flat, faded Wimbledon white with lots of primer and rust, then add faded remnants of blue stripes just to :fbomb with the Mustang purists. :scar

Am I scaring anyone yet?? :wtf :pop :naug :headac :roulette :hide

Back