• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Remove front bumper?

There's a HF not far from me. I was just worried about buying a grinder from there, because the dremel tool I bought from there is craptastic. :sad

I used the $20 HF one on my fastback, and it is still in great shape. It likely will be years before it gets touched again, so buying the cheap HF one was the right move for me. If you were going to be doing this kind of thing more often, maybe go for the higher end stuff. It won't hurt to use HF for pretty much one time use sort of thing. By one time use, I mean one car, not the bumper.

All these fancy schmancy people with their grinders.... I'd opt to heat the bolts to cherry red and unbolt everything, or get a breaker bar and a big ole piece of pipe and intentionally break all the bolts. A propane torch will do the job, and the bolts won't put up much of a fight when they're glowing red hot. :lol

When it comes to stubborn bolts, leverage is your friend. My favorite tools are an extra long 1/2" drive ratchet and a 18" breaker bar. Plus, the poor man's ghetto impact wrench will usually do the trick if my trusty breaker bar with a pipe slid over the end can't hack it. Just put a constant pressure on the end of the breaker bar while whacking the holy shart out of the end of the handle with a 3# hammer; the impact forces WILL break most bolts loose. Power tools? We don't need no steenkin power tools! :lol

Above advice is null and void if you know someone with an acetylene torch...in hat case, just melt the bolts. :lol

I have a grinder finally!! :vic Settled on the DeWalt 7 amp. I also bought a couple cutting wheels.

img4054f.jpg

Now let the fun begin!! :ecit

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about messing with the grinder and bolts tonight, but this look looks scary. :lol I'm going to wait until tomorrow when the man is home and let him do try it out first. Besides, I learn better seeing things done, that reading how stuff is done.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I thought about messing with the grinder and bolts tonight, but this look looks scary. :lol I'm going to wait until tomorrow when the man is home

Sorry, I need to go to work early so I cannot be home as you had wished.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I thought about messing with the grinder and bolts tonight, but this look looks scary.

It is, get back to the kitchen and do the dishes

"scedd" said:
It is, get back to the kitchen and do the dishes

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think this requires some video, from Kat doing dishes to then grinding off the bumper bolts.

Nice grinder Kat, very good choice.

"abrahamfh" said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think this requires some video, from Kat doing dishes to then grinding off the bumper bolts.

Nice grinder Kat, very good choice.

:fbomb you both! :po

Fine. I'll play along. Sorry no video so picture will have to do of me doing dishes. :eek:mg

img3757v.jpg

Hey Kat, don't forget that the automatic dishwasher is great for cleaning greasy engine parts. If you do that, your husband is my hero! :lol

"Kats66Pny" said:
Fine. I'll play along. Sorry no video so picture will have to do of me doing dishes. :eek:mg

img3757v.jpg

I see a YELLOW LAB. Stop holding back on us KAT. I want to see that puppy. Very nice home by the way, love the granite on the counter. Good choice.

That is one of my 4 dogs. The yellow lab is Cuba as in scuba diving with no 's'.. you have to know the joke Ralphie May the comedian to get it.

When we take him to the lake.. he goes Cuba divin' :lol

IMG_3242.jpg

He's an awesome Lab. :vic

I can't take credit for the granite. The seller of the house did that. They redid the whole kitchen, including knocking down a wall to make half a wall that looks into the dining room. We've only lived in the house since March.
This is the whole kitchen before I decided to paint the walls an orangish color. I was watching too much HGTV and wanted to try a Tuscan theme.
Kitchen-1.jpg

Back