• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Resurrect Captain America

After draining the gas tank and tuning the carb, I should have that Captain back on the road Monday.

Then to the alignment shop.

I'll post pics later.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Life.

I got the disc brakes on and new front suspension parts, springs, shocks, UCA and so on. Couldn't get the brakes to bleed, so when I was at Knott's I stopped at the willwood booth and asked what I was doing wrong. It was super stupid and as soon as I could get Amber to climb in and pump the brakes, bam done.

I also got some parts for the Camaro.

I've been working on getting our house ready for sale too. Sheesh, too much work.

So yeah, life!

Mel

Ok, let's see if I can get the pictures to load. I have to stop, time to fix dinner.

I got tools picked up and the front end down. It almost feels as though the calipers are dragging a bit. I'll look at it after I get the last hour or so done on it.

I was afraid the springs wouldn't lower it enough, but I had a tough time getting the jack out from under it so I hope once it gets bounced a bit and settles it isn't too low.

Mel

2d2bd7420f888de6ba31d617f0f298ad.jpg

7293ab1aebd80cbf05e8c8ca2c11cad6.jpg

3607f48331c9d09d9ff33995b15d3523.jpg

Oh, I can't decide on tuning and jetting down the edelbrock performer carb or tune and install my Holley 600. It is for the wife to drive so if it is not as quick/fast I'm ok with it.

Mel

Craig, I would like to find two 15x8s for the rear.

Thanks Captain is legal again. Just registered him as an old man. (Vintage)

Mel

If you get a bad master cylinder from SSBC with your $1200 front disc brake kit, you'll never get them to bleed properly. In my case, SSBC had me running around in circles until I insisted they overnight me a new master cylinder. With this kit, they ship a crappy master cylinder (made in china). I read about many customers who had gotten bad masters shipped with their kits from SSBC. That alerted me to the fact that this could be the case. My brakes would seem to pump up after bleeding, then the pedal would sink to the floor. My right front caliper oozed black particles while bleeding the brakes from a slopshod powder coating job that got coating inside the caliper. And SSBC acted like they were doing me a favor by shipping me a replacement master (cost ogf goods probably around $12!). SSBC's poor quality control and poor customer service really wasted my time (2 days). Next time, I'm going to look at Baer or Wilwood.

If you get a bad master cylinder from SSBC with your $1200 front disc brake kit, you'll never get them to bleed properly. In my case, SSBC had me running around in circles until I insisted they overnight me a new master cylinder. With this kit, they ship a crappy master cylinder (made in china). I read about many customers who had gotten bad masters shipped with their kits from SSBC. That alerted me to the fact that this could be the case. My brakes would seem to pump up after bleeding, then the pedal would sink to the floor. My right front caliper oozed black particles while bleeding the brakes from a slopshod powder coating job that got coating inside the caliper. And SSBC acted like they were doing me a favor by shipping me a replacement master (cost ogf goods probably around $12!). SSBC's poor quality control and poor customer service really wasted my time (2 days). Next time, I'm going to look at Baer or Wilwood.
Is there some reason you have posted this three times in three separate forum threads where it was only slightly applicable in MAYBE one? We get it. You don't like SSBC. Move on.

Actually yes, there is a very good reason this is posted such that other members can easily find it. Others will have the same problem and will be looking for answers from their trusted communities. That is the power of an internet-empowered community brother - to help each other (not to wreak vengeance as you are implying). If I had not easily found the clue online, from multiple other SSBC buyers reporting problems with new master cylinders from SSBC, I might have assumed the master was good, which probability will show is not a good assumption. When one is wasting valuable spare time, and has to do the same task multiple times because of poor quality control on a supplied key component, others need to know...check the master cylinder!!!! I have no feelings one way or another for SSBC and have used their components in the past on very high-end Corvettes. I am disappointed in the quality of this component and that I chased the problem for several days when the problem was easily rectified from the getgo by better care by SSBC for their customers. The better response from SSBC would have been, "Sorry, there may be a problem with the master cylinder. We respect your time and value your trust and will get you a replacement asap."

Oh, I can't decide on tuning and jetting down the edelbrock performer carb or tune and install my Holley 600. It is for the wife to drive so if it is not as quick/fast I'm ok with it.

Mel

I have always had trouble with Holley carbs. I have an Edelbrock on my Mustang n like how easy it is to adjust.

Ok the Captain is back on the ground. Drove him today.

No surprise, he overheated. After sitting so long I'm sure the cooling system could use a once over.

After the new front end parts he sits lower which changes the handling tremendously!

Stops much better. Manual discs are better than manual drum.

A few little things and paint and he's back to daily driver status for spring, summer and fall.

Mel
e7420048ee0bb64cf74022304fac193a.jpg

When I started him up, I used gas without ethanol. He loves it!

A bit more money, but I think it is worth it!

Mel

Ok, at the shop getting an alignment. Replaced the lower control arms and outer tie rod ends. Should be nice when done. Most everything is new. It already has a bigger sway bar and TCP torsion bars.

76505ab0891239d976ce565a85971063.jpg

Ok, after the alignment I took on the electrical Gremlins! Several weeks of frustration and Midlife's help I got the electrical sorted out. Will be back to the alignment shop next week to get the caster fixed next.

While working on it I broke the parking brake handle for the second time! What a crappy design! I ordered a billet handle to put on it.

I put the new speedo cable in and it works without bounce.. The new one was for a four speed and it shorter. Much nicer.

The Gremlins that have moved in over the last ten years are slowly being evicted!

Looking into consoles and a new stereo. I bought some new front seats so it will be more comfortable traveling.

Cleaning part of the garage out and found a brand new Saginaw power steering pump for the Camaro and was thinking borgeson power steering conversion.

Hmmm.

Mel

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Back