• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shifter Rod Opinions

Did you have to drop the valve body when you flipped the lever up? I still have to do mine.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

No, just pull a roll pin and take off the TV rod nut and slips right out. There is a really good video on youtube that shows exactly how its done but damned if I can find it now. :rant

I'm still conflicted over the change in positioning the arm from flipping the lever. Seems like after flip what was once all the way forward is all the way aft. :shrug

Most if not all the AODs in Mustangs were cable operated. To have selector position agree with shifter, the arm MUST be flipped up? Maybe someone will chime in here and add some clarity to this. :wth

The direction of the shifter arm is directly related to the direction the shifter rod/cable approaches the shifter arm. Some cables wrap around the trans and attach from the rear. The towncar one of mine came out of was an early one and had a rod from the front.

Check the pattern.....it could be reversed.....if the arm goes to the borrom and is pushed back to park, flipping it to the top will cause it to go into low with the same shifter action.........

I just recently came across this, it may help:
http://www.lokar.com/downloads/pdf-inst ... kd_kit.pdf

From what I've seen of other installs, it's easiest if the shift lever points up and the TV lever down is the easiest setup in our cars with stock shifter. I've seen someone do the opposite and have the shift lever down but he had to make a lever at the front of the trans to revese the direction of push/pull because of that = more work, levers, measuring.

Hopefully the pdf above helps, here are some really good pics from another board by a member kechke? if I remember right, wish I would have hooked my cable up like this BEFORE installing the AOD...it's a pain from under the car. His shifter locator looks similar to Craigs.

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

AODTVlever002.jpg

Jon

Back