• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

StangFix Power Tour?

tarafied1

It came up on another thread, we have a lot of active members here but we are spread out all over. Some of you may be aware of or read about or even attended part of the Hot Rod Power Tour. It is an organized tour by "Family Events" and supported by Hot Rod magazine and a whole bunch of other venders. 7 days in 7 cities covering mostly rural two-lane hiway from each venue. Obviously it has grown quite large with lots of support and thousands of cars. We couldn't expect to match such an event, however, we could do something like it if there was interest. How cool would be to drive 10, 20 maybe 30 Mustangs down route 66 or across the Rockies or to some cool places we might want to see as a group?
The left coast guys have an annual get together, the Myrtle Beach area has a bash, there is mini-feed, maybe others but what about trying to plan a massive road trip!?!?
Since it is about us, we decide if 7 days is too much or too little, locations, route, etc. Maybe initially we piggy-back on some planned events like Mini-Feed or MBBIV or even a Good Guys event or some other big show we could all raid. It could be an MCA show or SCCA, anything really.
I know it's a lot to expect that AzPete would drive all the way to SanFran or Craig would drive out to the East coast in Shag but we could try and see who would be interested first and then cater to the largest interested group. If it's a success maybe we go the other way next time.
Well it's just a thought while I am stuck over here in Saudi, no beer, no strip clubs, no bacon!
Let's here what you think...

Great idea Craig, a good start may be a Stangfix Power Tour Map where those that are interested could put their marker, then you could get a better idea of where your heavy concentrations are, may have to do 2 - an E<>W or N<>S route. Even if it was just a 4 day weekend holiday cruise like labor day weekend, etc. to get a group together to head to a spot (dragon, etc.) then head back as a group, might be a good start to a longer trip/group.

I think another good idea would be a mascot relay. We pick something that could be signed on like a garden gnome, or whatever (might want to make it small enough to fit in a suitcase?) and everytime one of us meets another stangfixer we pass it on. It would be great if there was a rule like it must travel via car to be passed off (mustang only?) and you take a pic with the recipient to go into a thread. You could use a journal or something but i think a monkey with a clock in it's stomach would be much more fitting...
Jon

I think its a great idea. Scheduling would probably be hard and like you said its a long haul for some.
Jen and I have always wanted to do route 66. A friend of ours did it last year and had a blast. Although I hear there are a lot of unpaved roads.

I think the power tour going across the us to Texas might hit more stangfixers next year. I am planning on doing that with you, but a separate SF tour would be cool too.

In other words I'd be in.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

yeah, Power Tour has defiantly inspired me. 2012 going from Detroit to Texas should allow a pretty good amount of us to hook up and drive together or at least meet up at venues. It did get me thinking because we have a pretty big and close group that we could do something with/for the StangFixers. It is probably too much.
I like Jon's idea of the map. The other idea is cool too. I was also thinking of a "Scavenger Hunt" type thing. We could post pics of us and our Mustangs at certain places, for example, one month we would need a picture at a National Monument or something like that. It would be cool to see what all the members come up with.
Anyway, keep the ideas rolling! I look forward to the HRPT next year for sure.

I'd be in when and if I got mine on the road. Depending on timing I might even be able to just drop a simple small block and trans in to join in the fun as I'm a good year off from the real deal being ready.

cool, well guys this would be up to us totally so time frame and locations will be based on what we would want as a group. It would make sense to target dates when our kids are out school or maybe not, I don't know. Also maybe spring or fall to avoid really hot weather. Im sure that I'm not the only one without AC!
be sure to throw your ideas as well as if your interested. I don't have a firm grasp on what will work so we should kick around all ideas.

I would say may , June, Sept or October. Nov through April is usually storage season for the few cold weather people on here.

&quot;RapidRabbit&quot; said:
I would say may , June, Sept or October. Nov through April is usually storage season for the few cold weather people on here.

agreed, my wife works for the school and of course I have two still in school so early May is out. They go back in August but have a fall break in October I think.
Any cool drives you can think of? Jon mentioned the "Tale of The Dragon" which is pretty cool. There are pretty groups, clubs and bikers on that pretty much all summer. Blue Ridge parkway is nice out east, Peak to Peak highway in the Rockies is awesome!!! Door county Wisconsin is pretty cool. Anything in Kansas beside Dorothy and Toto?

I've done the blueridge parkway, it is an awesome drive. That would be good for the Midwest and eastcoasters. Door county is nice, but I don't think too many would make all the up to Wisconsin.
Lots of nice mountain drives in Colorado. But then you have to watch the weather. Some still have snow in the summer.
Maybe yosemitee or yellowstone and grand tetons. That's a nice drive. We did that a few years ago.

Or the badlands. But that's probably too far north too.

Can we do one of those virtual maps to see where everybody is to start with? The kind where you put in a stick pin or something of the sort where you live? The closest StangFixer I know is Dave down in NC, but heck, there could be 5 guys right here in town with me and I don't even know it.

&quot;monkeystash&quot; said:
Blueridge Pkwy/Dragon gets my vote! Great idea BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks, IIRC the Blue Ridge Parkway starts just outside of the Great Smokey MTN NAT Park near Gatlinburgh/Pigeon Forge which is a beautiful place and often hosts cool car events that we could piggy back off of...
I agree the Rockies do have snow at high elevations pretty late into the summer and carburetor's don't like thin mountain air but the mountains are just so cool!
&quot;sigtauenus&quot; said:
Can we do one of those virtual maps to see where everybody is to start with? The kind where you put in a stick pin or something of the sort where you live? The closest StangFixer I know is Dave down in NC, but heck, there could be 5 guys right here in town with me and I don't even know it.
I don't know how to do the map thing...

My brother mentioned this one to me, he rides and says this is steeper than the Dragon:
Devil's triangle
http://devilstriangletn.com/maps/DevilsTriangle.jpg
http://devilstriangletn.com/

My wife would be all in for a trip up the Blue Ridge Pkwy.-Asheville NC to VA, groups could start from each end and meet in the middle then cont. on or reverse if they like that way you'd still have mixed groups going both ways!?
There are lots of waterfalls, etc. along the way, museums, shops, something for everyone.

I'd also like to take the only car hauling train one year, http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1245666320 and go DC>north or drive around the tip of Fla. and then back up along the east coast. This would be great for a group also because you could probably hang out in a dining/drinking car?
Jon

&quot;sigtauenus&quot; said:
there could be 5 guys right here in town with me and I don't even know it.

Maybe they're hiding from you Sam? :part

If everyong put their city/state at least under their avatar this would help.
Can Sluggo or Rick or someone make a SF map section and make this thead a sticky in the Events section?

Jon

It would be nice to have a map, or at least everybody's location listed.

I say a tour across the USA collecting bumper stickers from every H00ters we visit. Otherwise it would be a pffffffft !!

Back