• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T5 Swap - Shifter / Shift Lever

Yes, it's the 8022 shift lever. I went and matched the dimensions from the Hurst website against the MDL website listing.

The rebuild may take a while, and I won't start the actual swap until after the April MITM event, otherwise I would have to drive my Honda down to the coast :) But I'll post pics of shiny parts when they show up, as long as my wife doesn't impound them...or me...lol

Good stuff! We all love Brown truck days.

Tad, I had a guy buy the clutch and flywheel this week. It's off to be used in an old mustang restoration.

Yes. It actually has "8022" stamped near the bottom.

I knew it was going to be that one when I ordered it, as I compared measurements on the Hurst site against the MDL listing.

I'm pretty happy with the OE 69-70 hurst lever shifter boot I ordered. Bret wanted to sell me the Hurst (aka Mr Gasket) boot, which I've had in my hand before, and I'm just not thrilled with the quality of it. The OE boot is thicker and textured properly to match the rest of the interior, and the chrome bezel is curved at the edges for a cleaner look, vs the flat plate of the Hurst bezel.

I need to remember to go blast the flywheel with WD40 or some sort of grease until I can install it. It seems to be pretty clean, and therefore susceptible to rust while it sits.

No WD-40 or grease on flywheel; you'll never get it all off and it will chatter once installed. Use crocus paper or lightly sand it if it rusts.

Brakleen will work. Avoid anything that will leave a residue. WD-40 is notorious for oily residues.

Try vegetable oil or you can use some oil left from an oil change. You just need a little and a paper towel. Gun oil will work too.

You just need enough to keep the air off the raw steel.

Disc brake cleaner or acetone will clean it off. Then after it is cleaned off use rubbing alcohol to get any residual oil off.

When we open the fiber optic tubes some are coated icy pic. It's an oil type gel. We use an oils based solvent to remove it then rubbing alcohol to remove the residual oils from the solvent. The fiber has to be oil free in order to splice.

So that should work for a flywheel.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just seal up the flywheel in the box it came in and keep it in the house somewhere. It will be fine. Worst case you hit it with a Scotchbrite when it comes time to use it. Unless you live in a swamp it won't even surface rust this way.

I knew it was going to be that one when I ordered it, as I compared measurements on the Hurst site against the MDL listing.

I'm pretty happy with the OE 69-70 hurst lever shifter boot I ordered. Bret wanted to sell me the Hurst (aka Mr Gasket) boot, which I've had in my hand before, and I'm just not thrilled with the quality of it. The OE boot is thicker and textured properly to match the rest of the interior, and the chrome bezel is curved at the edges for a cleaner look, vs the flat plate of the Hurst bezel.

I need to remember to go blast the flywheel with WD40 or some sort of grease until I can install it. It seems to be pretty clean, and therefore susceptible to rust while it sits.

I think you're gunna be quite happy with the combo when you get it all together. Keep us posted!

Can you post some pics of the boot and bezel

I’ll try to get out to the shed tomorrow for some pics.

Regarding the flywheel, perhaps I'll use some gun oil. I definitely have some of that, and it should come off easily with brakleen and then acetone.
I can't store the flywheel in the house for the next few months. No real storage space for it, so it'll have to sit in the shed. Not a swamp, but condensation is to be expected.

Somebody is hiding car parts from their wife. :p What kind of person are you? I would never ever do such a thing. :rolleyes:

I’ll try to get out to the shed tomorrow for some pics.

Regarding the flywheel, perhaps I'll use some gun oil. I definitely have some of that, and it should come off easily with brakleen and then acetone.
I can't store the flywheel in the house for the next few months. No real storage space for it, so it'll have to sit in the shed. Not a swamp, but condensation is to be expected.
Hey if you need a place to store parts, I live in Carmichael.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back