• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T5 tranny install advice

Dne'

I bought this T5 a few months ago with intentions to install it. Now I would really like to install it~ I just feel my stang should have a standard transmission. The only place I know to look for parts is on Ebay, but if anyone here should have any extra parts, I may be interested.
Here's what I do have:
Transmission: Not sure about the bell housing yet.
Front yoke to fit this trans.
Plate that goes inbetween block and trans.
The fork (throwout bearing) is broken

Need:
throwout fork (not sure where to buy this)
crossmember (saw one on Ebay for 109.00)
speedocable (clueless)
Flywheel(28ounce?) (about 100.oo on ebay)
clutch assembly/throwout bearing (O'reilly's?)
clutch cable (Mustang steves site?)
Clutch/brake pedal assembly (I think my Mustang shop has one)
(what else)

IMG_7482.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sportbikechick" said:
The fork (throwout bearing) is broken- Which is boken?, Do you want a late model or early model clutch (diaphram or three finger) they use two different types of forks

Need:
throwout fork (not sure where to buy this) If you use a late model Bell, I have a clutch fork, a new clutch kit will have a new throwout bearing
crossmember (saw one on Ebay for 109.00) Does it have the bracket for the e-brake?
speedocable (clueless) Same as existing, just change the gear
Flywheel(28ounce?) (about 100.oo on ebay) I'd check with your engine builder as to which you need
clutch assembly/throwout bearing (O'reilly's?) You have to decide on which type you want to use
clutch cable (Mustang steves site?) Much better than Ron morris, but if you decide to go that way, I'll make you a deal on the one in my garage...Another nice setup is the opentracker roller z-bar setup with spherical rod ends
Clutch/brake pedal assembly (I think my Mustang shop has one) Check with Mustang Steve on this as well, IIRC, he sells the entire brake clutch assembly with the roller bearings, a nice, fairly cheap upgrade
(what else)

I'll e-mail you a PDF file for the T-5 swap that will help with all this. Its 29 pages. If anyone else wants a copy shoot me a PM with your e-mail address

"Sportbikechick" said:
Transmission: Not sure about the bell housing yet.
IMG_7482.jpg

Looks like you have a bell, I'd use the late model, otherwise, you need the $$$ spacer plate

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why I get all excited about buying stuff when I have so much to do at this moment! I'm going to the garage, I'll think about all this stuff later. Just my luck this transmission would be no good! lol Maybe I should take the path of least resistance and just install this c4(doah :doh!), just put that money into a nice racknpinion instead.
I'll be back later~ much to do today!
dne'

Dne,

The C4 would be a much easier/simpler install..... but.... having the manual transmission with the 5th gear overdrive IMO makes these cars much funner to drive. Having the OD at higway speeds is worth any headaches associated the swap.

I agree with Dave. If your going to build a fun car, it's gotta have at least 300 HP, a stick shift with OD and a 3.55 trac-lock rear end. Anything else and you may as well drive a miata.

"daveSanborn" said:
Dne,

The C4 would be a much easier/simpler install..... but.... having the manual transmission with the 5th gear overdrive IMO makes these cars much funner to drive. Having the OD at higway speeds is worth any headaches associated the swap.

Is Funner a word? Why not a late model AOD upgrade?

"Fast68back" said:
"daveSanborn" said:
Dne,

Is Funner a word? Why not a late model AOD upgrade?

Where's your Miata?

I was going to ask is "funner" was a real word, but you know how sensitive Dave is.

Sorry, sometimes I get a little frustrated with things! It could be a little "funner" if things would go according to plan! :rof

I just got off the phone with Mustang mania, and Stuart(works there), told me to go "old school" vs. the cable assembly. You know, the mechnical linkage, etc. He says if I don't get the cable perfectly straight, that it will break. Since I hopefully will continue with this challenge, it's not so much the money as the frustration in finding the correct stuff! When you have all the correct stuff sitting on your work bench, it becomes more funner! :pep I like Mustang mania, but I always find them to be a little more expensive than the competition.

Plus I'm a little down cause the disc brake(rear) stuff that I got was both left handed! :doh I wrote the place, but haven't heard back yet. Always a back up plan eh! I still have my drum stuff just in case!

I have the "old school" clutch linkage on my car. The pedal is pretty stiff with the big "helper" spring under the dash. I've been meaning to remove it since I am using a diaphram type clutch now.

diaphram vs. linkage

Hey Brandt,
Is the clutch stiff with the diaphram clutch, or it's the spring that's making it stiff? So, once the helper spring is removed it shouldn't be so stiff? a little confused here(doesn't take much for me :doh)

The spring is what makes it so stiff and noisy. This is a good alternative that I have been told about. Made by Opentracker.

So, you have this system on your Mustang? Now, do headers work ok with that system? or is there a particular brand of headers that go with that system?
Sorry, I'm just full of questions!

This is an upgrade of the OEM clutch linkage. It has roller bearings and hemi fittings instead of the funky plastic bushings. I do not have this upgraded system in my car yet, but have spoken with a guy that does. He said it feels like a hydraulic clutch linkage, which is very smooth and requires very little effort. As far as headers, any headers that work with the OEM linkage should work with this upgrade. I have long tube Hooker super competition on my car, but they hang kinda low so you must watch it going over speed bumps, etc. I think "shorty headers" would probably be best. I would stay away from cable clutches as I have heard many people have problems with the cable and header clearance. I think that is a late model bell in your picture and is set up for a cable. You will need an early bell (they come is 5 & 6 bolt, you need to check your engine block and see how many mounting bolts are required), an adapter plate and T-5 tranny mount if you decide to use the OEM (mechanical) clutch linkage. Also, check your engine block and make sure you have the needed bung to mount the Z bar, otherwise you will need that as well.

Back