• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

tarafied1's 65 Coupe

"tarafied1" said:
while the frame rails are the same width, the 67/68 track width got wider. They rounded the body and widened the rear axle along with the shock towers to get room for a big block. So with the 68 towers the front track width would be wider because I would have to use the 68 suspension. So the wheels won't stick out too far I'd need more offset like modern wheels.

That makes sense. You could always run a explorer 8.8 in the rear to match the front track width. Not sure how all that is gonna fit inside the fenders and quarters though.

Bill

yeah, that's the problem. If I knew I could get a set of rims that would look good with the right offset, I might go for it.

"tarafied1" said:
yeah, that's the problem. If I knew I could get a set of rims that would look good with the right offset, I might go for it.

But isn't this gonna be the drag car? If so skinny's up front won't matter :confu

Bill

yeah, skinny's in front, as long as they don't stick out of the wheel wells!
66190d1239226567-does-seeing-riced-out-mustang-bother-you-lowrider-mustang.jpg

LOL. I don't think it will be that bad. I'm liking this look for the 65. I think it looks better than the altered wheelbase garb lol.

2hd65gn.jpg

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled 67/68 shock towers in a 65 and found some pics of some one doing it back in the day...
22554d1323649690-67-towers-65-geek-5.jpg

22553d1323649681-67-towers-65-geek-1.jpg

22565d1323654082-67-towers-65-geek-2.jpg

If that last pic is with the tower swap the wheels look okay...

yes i have done it 2 times and it works great. do not use 67 as the lower control arms are 1 year only and expensive. 68-70 out of a mustang or cougar , i use 69 cougar wrap around. use the 68-70 upper arm not the 66 arm. must use the 67-69 centerlink and inner tie rod ends or the 70 centerlink and inner tie rod ends. and the idler arm. must remove the strut rod brackets and replace with 68-70 as they are further inboard and use a different bushing. use 68-70 lower control arms,upper control arms,strut rods and i highly recomend 70-73 spindles cause they are stronger. the longer lower control arm gives better camber gain in the turns if you are into cornering. you can also drop a big block in as the engine compartment is now the same width as the 67-70. i have used this setup on 2 street legal roadrace cars the first had a 351C and the present has a 393W. the front tire is moved about an inch out.
I'm gonna have to give it a lot thought

That one is about where your buddy was price wise so... I think you could pick this one up and be driving it in a couple weeks with how fast you move.

Bill

yeah, that's a thought
is that one out your way for $2500 still there? could be a roof doner for my coupe...

"tarafied1" said:
yeah, that's a thought
is that one out your way for $2500 still there? could be a roof doner for my coupe...

Gone, he sold that pile for $4500 :hide

Bill

I bet that one won't last very long at that price. Heck, if my wife would still be here in the morning I would be on my way to get it tonight lol.

Bill

"67 Fastback" said:
I bet that one won't last very long at that price. Heck, if my wife would still be here in the morning I would be on my way to get it tonight lol.

Bill
hee hee
I think I might be in the same boat. My wife really wants an 07

Back