• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

this is my buddies 67 Ranchero that I have been rebuilding the engine and power steering parts for

Attachments

• Picture 114.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • Picture 116.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
worked on the floor this afternoon. cut the rust out and made a patch from the old floorboard.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 445
good job craig..were you able to get more of the self etching primer and the epoxy primer? I am not sure how productive I am going to be with the arm in a cast

I got more etching primer and sprayed the whole inside. I did not have the funds to get the epoxy but I still have another hole to patch. No worries about helping. Get that arm better. I think the wife has plans for me tomorrow anyway.

Joey was pretty productive at my house today with just one arm free.
We got 3 out of 4 trans lines bent which took the whole day as slow as I am. Thanks again for the help Joey.
Jon

"tarafied1" said:
I got more etching primer and sprayed the whole inside. I did not have the funds to get the epoxy but I still have another hole to patch. No worries about helping. Get that arm better. I think the wife has plans for me tomorrow anyway.

better double check the tech sheets on the epoxy. most arent recommended over a self etching primer :no. either use the etch with 2k primer topcoat or use the epoxy over bare metal.

thanks Steve, I used etching primer from Napa because I had bare metal (Napa recommended it). Do I need epoxy? I'm just going to spray it Ford Tractor grey from Tractor Supply.

"tarafied1" said:
thanks Steve, I used etching primer from Napa because I had bare metal (Napa recommended it). Do I need epoxy? I'm just going to spray it Ford Tractor grey from Tractor Supply.

since you have already used the etching primer, i wouldn't go to the expense of the epoxy. the selling point for epoxy is you can use it on bare metal & apply body filler over top of it. the etch does the same as far as biting into the metal. just scuff the etch with a scotchbrite pad & you can either apply a couple coats of filler primer or spray the topcoat.

good news steve...might have the interior painted in no time if this weather holds up...might be warm enough to shoot

Well I haven't done much on the Drag car but collect more parts. Since the rear frame rails are tweaked pretty bad and I don't have the fabrication skills of J, I figured I would use the frame rails from the POS. This is about all that is left of the POS! I can drill out spot welds and reweld rosette welds. I would like to mini tub it while I am at it.
index.php

graverobberssheetmetal makes 2 1/4" wider inner wheel wells for $299.90 each
mustangminitub2-web.jpg

Attachments

• POS frame rails.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice out today, in the 70's. Pretty nice for January. So I started drilling spot welds on the POS rear frame rails to start cleaning it up.
index.php

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 128
yes, life has gotten in the way. I hope to get back on it more. I would like to dedicate a panel to Sam or something

Like others Sam contributed parts and advice, It would be cool to honor him in some way.

I did get the trunk floor and drop-off area cut off.
index.php

Attachments

• rear frame rails photo.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 473
I haven't updated the drag car in a while. In fact it is not even at my house. Some of you may recall I was given a Camaro...it is now crushed :yah then I bought a 64 Falcon, which I still have and then I bought a 65 coupe. Well the 65 coupe is at my buddies house too. The buddy who has the Ranchero, a 65 FB and a 68 FB.
So the plan for now anyway is to make the 67 into a fastback. Basically the whole rear of the car is toast and the roof is full of holes from having a vinyl top. My buddies 68 FB is completely rusted every where. We will take the top from it, the rear frame rails from the POS and the rest from the 67 and then new full quarters and trunk floor. This will be more expensive and time consuming so I have decided not to use the 67 as the drag car.
This leaves the 65 coupe or the 64 Falcon. Both of which can still utilize most if not all of what you guys have donated. The Falcon will be the easiest as it is really solid. My plan would be to make it a gasser with a straight axle. My wife had wanted it for her toy but I convinced her (or she convinced me) that we should get a newer Stang for her (05 or newer). So I would like to build the Falcon into a gasser drag car.
Or I could build the 65 coupe. It needs the front repaired. The shock towers and fender aprons are toast. My buddy and I have made a deal on a MII front suspension. He was originally going with a Rod & Custom set-up on his 65 FB and bought the kit. He has since decided to go with a more stock set-up. So the kit is mine. He also donated a usable radiator core support and fender aprons that he acquired for his FB but doesn't need. So the 65 coupe will have a MII front suspension.

I'm leaning towards putting the 65 coupe together and make a roller, then sell it to finance the Gasser Falcon project, but I am on the fence. I could really have fun with the 65 coupe as well. I don't have the time or funds to build three projects. The 67 will basically be my buddies now, the Falcon or the 65 Coupe will have to go.
So what do you all think? Can a Falcon be the official "StangFix" drag car? or should I build the 65? The Falcon will be harder to sell as is I think and would make a cool nostalgia style Gasser but the 65 would be easy and relatively cheap to build.

Back