• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What cam to use?

Aussie67

Hey guys, looking for recommendation on what cam to use for a non efi/ non roller cam 302W. Going to give my tired engine a refresh. I'm looking for a cam which will give me a little more push but without the need for a stall convertor upgrade. The engine will be kept pretty much stock. Currently runs dual plane Edelbrock performer manifold, 600 Holley with extractors, backed by a c4. Not sure what the diff gearing is, but as its going to be kept relatively stock, I'm not fussed.

Looking to keep the overall output to 230/ 250HP. I already have a 450HP car so want to keep this a cruiser.

Thoughts? Looking for cam manufacturer and part number if available. Hoping to learn from your experience rather than opinion.

Tony

A bit more input would be good to make an educated recommendation.

Exhaust?
Heads?
Rear end gearing?

Whatever cam specs you want , just take one for the 351W as the firing order is different and should be better for the crankshaft.As I have read in the past.
Should be that the number 1 connecting rod journal ( piston 1 and 5 ) sees less load with the 351W firing order.

Ask that question on the VMF and you’ll get:

All hail the mighty Ford B cam.

No help here other than call a cam maker. I prefer giving Dema Elgin my info and let him tell me what cam to use to get the most out of the package. He’s made more cams than anyone on these forums.

Mark

Try talking with/ looking over northernautoparts.com for s Speed Pro hyd with a 460 lift & 288 deg duration both ways. BE SURE to get their springs & hi-rev lifters. The point is 4088/5100 RPM. I have used this cam in 3 engines. Sounds damn good too.

Way late to respond here but will give me two cents. Since you're not trying to build a killer SB all you need do to wake it up a bit is let it breathe. Stock engines can really benefit from some help on the exhaust side. You want a cam that not only lets a bit more fuel in but one that lets the spent gases out. I've always had luck with dual pattern cams that extend the exhaust side a bit. Especially with stock heads and valves.

You don't need a special grind for a stock SBF. Cam manufacturers have been developing and making them for decades. Used a lot of Comp Cams in my day and never had issues. A dual pattern grind like a Xtreme Energy is perfect for the street with a broad range of like 1300-5600. They sound good too.

I agree with that, but most of the XE grind cams have a very steep ramp that requires the matching valve springs. And even then, they're more prone to damage from shear wear than other cams with a less severe ramp. Ask me how I know...

Not saying don't use them, just that you should be aware that you'll need the valve springs and oil with lots of zinc.

I ended up going with a close to standard grind. As it's a standard build, I didn't see much point in only upgrading a cam without looking at heads, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts thou.

Back