• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What did you drive in high school?

My first "ride" I drove to high school was a 1961 falcon wagon with a 170-6 and three on the tree, I then moved up to a 67 Mustang coupe--289-2 bbl-very clean straight nice mustang. When I bought the 67 at Huffman chevrolet they had a 68 fastback sitting next to it with a 428 ? dual quads, 4 spd--my mom would not co sign for that-(mom wasn't stupid)--I then moved to a 66 coupe that was sweet(for the times)--it was painted a medium brown metallic with pinto high back buckets in the front and the factory buckets in the back--the seats were all re-upholstered in diamond insert brown and black fake leather, the floor and the area around the back buckets had shag carpet. It had a 71 302 with a crane fireball cam, zoom clutch and pressure plate, low ratio toploader 4 spd, holley 650 double pumper, dual point ignition, headers and 411 posi rearend--a kid at school had a beautifull 70 428 cobrajet fastback automatic that was sure he would smoke me--I beat him twice in a row on our guessed 1/4 mile on the highway-(dumb kids) --I used to shift that car at 6400 rpms--it ate rearends--I wish I had it back--I went to the dragstrip with it one weekend and had the fastest time there with plates on--I had to spot a 68 chevelle with a dual quad 350 2 lights on the second round -I caught him halfway down the track and thought I was going to break out of my et and backed off at the line and he caught me--wah-wah---best times of my life. whew--lots of memories---great post!

78 Camaro, paid $1,250 in 1989 and did a mini-restoration. I wanted a Mustang but couldn't afford one.

First car 66 Mustang coupe T code with 3spd. It was the non syncro one and spent more time on blocks then the road.
Second car 66 Mustang coupe C code with a 289 built including a tunnel ram and a toploader 4 spd.
Third car 70 El Camino 396 4 speed
Fourth car 71 Boss 351

Nothing else matters after that!

Mel

My dad's '64 Impala when I could. Got my '62 Ford Galaxie ($700) just after HS graduation and drove it till I got a job that paid more than $1.25 an hour. It was originally an I6 in white but ended up with a 312 V8 and Academy Blue with a white top. I traded it in on a new '67 Mustang just after the '68s came out.

Attachments

• File0004.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 95
  • File0003.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 95
  • 1967Stang.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 67-2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 96
Since I was born not so long ago.. I drove my 1967 Mustang, I was 16 in 1977, it was ten years old and i still have it! I'm a busy guy but always want to take the time to scan some photos for the memories.

Got my license in 1981.

Drove the family '69 Fairlane 2dr hardtop, 302/auto, power steering, am radio, rubber floormats, red with black bench seat interior. It had 208,000 miles on it.

Then I bought my first car entering senior year; '66 Fairlane 500XL, 390 2bbl/auto, power steering, Blue on Blue bucket seats. Paid $400 for it and it was cherry. I dropped a .060 over 410ci FE in it; Sig Erson HiFlow 1 cam (230 deg at .050" lift), 11.2:1 compression (milled the heads .040" with flat tops, could still get hi-test leaded at the local Grange), 427 Low Riser aluminum intake, Holley 600, headers. 13.8s at 107 mph with the open 3.00:1 rear (LoL)

Though it was actually my second car (never drove my first, a '65 Comet Caliente), the first car I drove in HS was a '68 Olds Cutlass "S" with a 350 4bbl, Powerglide, factory buckets, console and floor shift. It was a totally rust free car that I helped my father repaint. I then sold it to a cousin and got a '73 Toyota Corolla with a 1600cc 2TC (a true baby hemi) and a two speed "Toyoglide", which I promptly burned up...not once but twice! I then swapped it for a four speed. It'd move, but kept me outta trouble. Just before graduating I finally sold the Toyota and got my first Pony, a '65 fastback packin' a 200 six banger and paper three speed. Though it was originally Poppy Red, the PO had painted it Wimbledon White with Shelby stripes. Every weekend we'd take it out to the local cruisin' strip some jackhole would try to race me thinkin it was a Shelby!

My apologies in advance....
My first car/car I drove in HS was a 1980 Chevy Chevette. :shrug

My high school car was a 65 mustang coupe with a six and an auto. Drove it for about a year before it got parked and the engine was yanked. About that time I realized I had no clue what I was doing. Had never even wrenched on a car. About six months later I had built my first engine and was back on the road. Wish I never sold that one.

"DB65" said:
... I traded it in on a new '67 Mustang just after the '68s came out.
that looks an awful lot like my 67 when I got it ... do you know what happened to yours?
n1400756601_30152413_7575396.jpg

My first car when I was 16 was my 65 Coupe in my signature pic. I drove it from April 29, 1991 to sometime in August 91 before tearing it down for restoration........ Its been 20 years...... Never drove it to school. For school, I drove a 83 Subaru 4 door wagon for a few months before getting my 85 Ford Bronco II. I drove the Bronco all through school and a couple years after. Lots of fun times in that thing. It went everywhere and did everything. I beat the living snot out of it and it took it! I cried when I sold it...

My first car in high school was a POS '85 Mercury Topaz. The thing was so gutless I had trouble getting on the freeway at safe speeds. And once I hit '75, if I tried to give it any more gas it would just slow down.

BUT, it was big enough to cram me and 5 friends in, and it got us from point A to point C (sometimes different than the point B my mom was informed of) reliably enough.

"RapidRabbit" said:
My dad told me if I wanted a car I was on my own. The only help he offered was to cosign a loan to help start my credit. I did have a car payment all through high school, but I worked to pay for all my own things and I believe I had a higher appreciation for my stuff.

Yep...if it's handed to you then you won't appreciate it for certain.

My boys are already saving for their first car. I told them when they turn 15 we would buy them something they could fix up.

I figure if they invest some money and sweat equity in the deal they will be much less likely to tear it up if they know breaking something will result in all day on Saturday in the heat fixing the car...and if they break something on the car early in the week they will have to thumb it until Saturday.

"RustyRed" said:
Yep...if it's handed to you then you won't appreciate it for certain.

My boys are already saving for their first car. I told them when they turn 15 we would buy them something they could fix up.

I figure if they invest some money and sweat equity in the deal they will be much less likely to tear it up if they know breaking something will result in all day on Saturday in the heat fixing the car...and if they break something on the car early in the week they will have to thumb it until Saturday.

That's my thinking. I have a bead on a 67 Firebird that I'd like to pick up as a father son project. He's 8, so, we may have it done when he's 20 :nut
Bill

Some of you had some pretty cool cars... I was dying to buy a '68 camaro, but my folks would have nothing of the sort. For the most part I had to ride with my sister in her hand me down 70 Plymouth "SS" (Sport Suburban Station Wagon). My father basically bought several full size "safe" cars for us kids to use. Being #6, I was near the end of the line for getting the cars I didn't want. To try and get my sister to hate the wagon, so I could at least have my own wheels, I painted flames on the hood to embarrass her into getting her own car. didn't work... During my senior year, I got to take Dad's '72 Chrysler Newport once or twice a week. It had a 400 and would leave some serious rubber on the ground... When I blew the transmission after school one day doing burnouts my big brother made sure the folks understood exactly how it broke... that about settled it as far as getting anything I really wanted. My sister finally bought her own car and passed the wagon down to me the day before I started college. I got about 9 months out of that car, then about a year on a '73 Impala before I finally got my "own" car in college which was a '76 Trans Am w/ 400 4 Speed.

"67 Fastback" said:
. He's 8, so, we may have it done when he's 20 :nut
Bill

LOL! I hear ya there.

Jeff really wants the Mustang but to be honest I am not sure I want them driving an older car like the Mustang. It's fun to cruise around in on a nice Saturday afternoon but wouldn't make a very good daily driver.

What we're thinking is in a few more years we can probably pick up an '05 or '06 Mustang with some miles on it for pretty cheap and fix it up. Preferably a V6 model to keep the insurance company from getting in our pockets as much as possible.

I'm not totally against one or both of them driving the Mustang but we'd have to do some work to it. We'd have to add AC, add a collapsible column and either change out the tranny for an AOD or tone down the gear ratio. Right now I am running a 3.55 posi third member so it really screams down the road at freeway speeds and the gas mileage sucks. One thing I've kicked around is putting in a fuel injected V6 with the aod...we could always store the current set up for later use. But even if I did all that if someone rear ends them hard it could potentially be all she wrote for them when they are a ball of flames.

First car was a '66 Plymouth Sport Fury 383, white w/ ivy gold interior. Sold that Junior year for a '90 LX 5.0. Still miss the Fury.

"RustyRed" said:
LOL! I hear ya there.

Jeff really wants the Mustang but to be honest I am not sure I want them driving an older car like the Mustang. It's fun to cruise around in on a nice Saturday afternoon but wouldn't make a very good daily driver.

What we're thinking is in a few more years we can probably pick up an '05 or '06 Mustang with some miles on it for pretty cheap and fix it up. Preferably a V6 model to keep the insurance company from getting in our pockets as much as possible.

I'm not totally against one or both of them driving the Mustang but we'd have to do some work to it. We'd have to add AC, add a collapsible column and either change out the tranny for an AOD or tone down the gear ratio. Right now I am running a 3.55 posi third member so it really screams down the road at freeway speeds and the gas mileage sucks. One thing I've kicked around is putting in a fuel injected V6 with the aod...we could always store the current set up for later use. But even if I did all that if someone rear ends them hard it could potentially be all she wrote for them when they are a ball of flames.

I want to do a 67 Firebird with a late model ls motor. 5.3 w/ 4l60e transmission. Cam it for max economy low power and tune it as much. Update the suspension, brakes, and steering to make it a dd. Then he can put it aside and pick up an econo box later. I have dreams like my sig says :pbj

Bill

"67 Fastback" said:
I want to do a 67 Firebird with a late model ls motor. 5.3 w/ 4l60e transmission. Cam it for max economy low power and tune it as much. Update the suspension, brakes, and steering to make it a dd. Then he can put it aside and pick up an econo box later. I have dreams like my sig says :pbj

Bill

A local friend of mine from our old church runs a body shop...he just redid a late 60's Camaro for a daily driver. He was the one who was selling the Trans Am for a friend of his that had relocated out of state. When I was over there buying the TA about a year ago he was in the late stages of finishing up the Camaro.

He did major upgrades to the suspension, four wheel disc, etc plus a fuel injected motor and aod. I ran into him at the local O'Reilly a few weeks back and it's really a beautiful car.

Back