• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

what just grinds your gears?

Like FD, changing the oil on my 00 V6 SOHC Explorer is a PIA and always messy. The filter is vertical and near the exhaust pipe. It is impossible to keep oil from running down my sleeve to my elbow. Also the oil drain plug faces sideways, so when I remove the bolt it shoots the first quart of oil onto the right control arms.

I've tried a bunch of different methods to reduce the mess, but no luck. The past 3 times I've had Jiffy Lube do it. I used to have a 95 Camry 4 cylinder. It was the easiest and cleanest oil change. It took about 10 minutes and I could do it in street clothes.

The current stable is pretty easy - the Dodge truck filter is mounted to the front of the engine, and has a plastic deflector that funnels any drips away from the suspension, which is below it.

The BMWs use a replacable element filter, so no metal can. Just loosen the bolt holdong the cover on, and that allows it to drain into the engine. 20 minutes later, pull out the drained element. They also hold 7-8 quarts of oil, so no need for new oil pans - but changing the synthetic oil can set you back a few $.

Worst I ever had was a Volvo - the oil filter was horizontal, had a long thread, and drianed while removing it onto rubber hoses and the exhaust from the turbo. Always smoked after, and I lost count of how many times I replaced those hoses.

On the SHO, removing the filter allows oil to pour onto the starter. I have to use a piece of cardboard under the filter area to drain the oil past the starter.

Frank

My silverado is kinda funky. The filter is set into the rear of the pan. There is no removing it by hand, you must use a filter wrench or socket adapter. That's not a big deal. What sucks is when you have it halfway off, it pukes oil all over the filter, making damn near impossible to remove to without getting covered. It took half the time to do the job as my Nissan 240 did, but it's twice as messy.

Re: changing oil. For our 25th, I bought my spouse a new 2002 Mercedes (first car since 1970 that wasn't Japanese). Maintenance was covered for 4 years. When it finally came my turn to change the oil, guess what no oil pan plug--it has to be sucked out. 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1. I went back to Toyotas.

"Jack1966" said:
When it finally came my turn to change the oil, guess what no oil pan plug--it has to be sucked out.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. :lol :lol :lol fd

"Jack1966" said:
When it finally came my turn to change the oil, guess what no oil pan plug--it has to be sucked out.

Lots of boats use this system, although the ones I've seen also have a plug. Getting to that plug is a biotch on a boat, and getting an oil pan out is virtually impossible w/o spilling. I really like it - much less mess. Wish my BMWs had them, I wouldn't even need to get under the car.

My oil changing saga continues. I have been taking my used oil to the auto parts store for years now. Their limit has always been 5 gallons. I have saved some nice gallon contains over the years and would fill them from my drain pan. Well no more. :rp They will now only take the oil if it is in one of those collection type drain pans.
image.php
WTF? :fbomb So I guess that I have to buy another one, yes I did have one, but it got a crack in and would leak. So I threw it away. Half of the time their container is full and I have to find another store or whatever. I like being able to change my own oil in my vehicles, I put them up on jack stands pull the wheels check the brake pads and so on. So now I guess that I have to find one of those pans, drive back to the parts store and fill it up take it in have them dump it and repeat the process depending on the size of the container that I buy. I wish that I could say that it is Bush's fault, but it is the county's that I live in fault. fd

Rookie.....

Go to the auto parts store and buy 5 single quart containers of motor oil.

Go home and change your oil... emptying the used oil into the container of YOUR choice.

Using a funnel, re-fill the empty 5 quart oil containers.

Put the caps back on tight and with your receipt in hand return the 5 quarts for a different brand of oil stating that "you'd changed your mind on the brand".

It works 99.5% of the time.....

So, here is the deal.....

A new "sports bar" opened locally......called Helen Back. There are four in the local area. I checked them out and the food is ok as is the atmosphere. Thought it might be ok to go there more.

Their payment policy is where my gears got ground.....

They require you to:
a. pay cash upon the food/drink being served and for each item then served as you continue the evening.
b. give your credit card to the waitress to carry around all evening until you are done and ready to leave.

Guess I just don't do the "bar scene" enough to be used to leaving my CC with some waitress........

Sorry for the length but wanted all to see their replies too.

My first complaint....

After eating in your business in Panama City for 4 meals......I do not like your policy of paying for my food. Each time, I am asked to give the waitress a credit card to run a tab or pay cash for food as I receive it.

First of all, I use plastic for 90% or more of the transactions I do. Also, I will not give a waitress a credit card to "hold" until I am done eating a meal........ In todays world of ID theft and credit card fraud, letting someone I do not know at all hold a credit card for an hour or so is not something I will ever do.

If this policy changes, I will continue to frequent your business, if not, then I will have to find another location for the nachos and philly sandwiches......

Your food is good but not enough to risk credit card problems. I was also hoping to see a pastromi and cheese sandwich....

Their answer....

Dear Pete-
My name is Chris Sehman, the founder of Helen back, here in Fort Walton Beach.
Where as I appreciate your comments (and they are valid), there is a "method to the madness".

First, this is a franchise wide policy, so it is not just the PC location that "holds your card". HB has historically been more of a bar environment as opposed to a restaurant where you may be more accustomed to a server swiping your card and returning it to you or waiting until you were done dining before asking for the card.
Second, in the "bar world" there is a greater risk of customers walking out (mostly unintentionally) and holding their card most often makes the patron return to pick up the card AND sign the charge.
Third, to swipe the card and return it causes the POS system (per the credit card co.) to automatically charge an amount to the individuals acct so the information can transfer to the database. Then when the customer checks-out, the actual amount IS charged ALSO. The initial preauthorization (usually 50$) does not get refunded for 24-48 hrs(bank policy, go figure). Many patrons struggle with that additional charge lingering on their acct (I.e. They were almost overdrawn to begin with).
As a result of doing it in manner that immediately pleases you would cause my office to get flooded with calls of overcharging, double charging, etc...every Monday morning...thank you bank policies!!

Instead, we get the occasional person upset with "holding cards" until you check out. Again, I understand your concerns, credit card fraud is a serious issue, and to you I say the following:
In my 18 years of owning a bar, NEVER has such an issue occured BECAUSE we don't ask to "hold" any other forms of I'd (drivers license, soc sec card) that would be neccessary to create I'd theft.
Any bank charges that may be fraudulent from someone obtaining your personal numbers would easily be disputed, and if that did not solve the issue and it was proven to be caused by one of my employees, or franchisee's employees, then every appropriate measure would be taken both criminally and civily to resolve the matter.
Lastly, Helen Back prides itself on building a repeat/Local clientele and thus I appreciate you frenquenting our stores. More importantly, I appreciate you taking the time to actually write down your concerns. Hopefully, you now understand why the policy is the way it is. I don't expect you to neccessarily agree yet I hope it does not deter you from future visits. I assure you, the minute the "banksters" change their policies, I can afford to change mine.

My response....

Odd that your policy is so different from others. Hooters (been to them across the country), Runway (local in PC), Famous Sams (Az.), Mulligans (local) and any other sports bar I have patronized have never had this policy and I have never had to call them about the pre-authorization problem...... I would guess this is because they take the card at the end of my visit and do the charges, return the card and I sign the receipt. Like most businesses across the nation.

Gas stations have done the pre-authorizations and I have never had a problem, but I believe several of them stopped that policy. With some experience in retail sales, I have never seen this either.

I talked with several of my friends in the local Mustang Club and they agreed that they did not like the policy. The local car clubs do several Cruise Ins at various sports bars locally also.

According to a representative from Tyndall Federal Credit Union, who issues my Visa, this is not a good policy for credit card holders. If, and I say, IF there was any fraud in the use of one of their customers cards, they would really wonder why the customer let a waitress hold a card as you require.

In my view, the bottom line it comes down to is because your company has had some fail to pay, they will treat all customers as if they intend to walk out without paying. Accused before even walking in the door.

I will continue to use my card for most of my transactions and since this does not meet your companies "rules", I guess I have had my last meal there. I will also share this company info with friends and family. I don't expect it to cause you to have financial problems, but it will prevent one possible problem for me.

Their return....

Funny...all your examples are restaurants, exactly what I was explaining. Also funny that Tyndall commented that way when its because of CREDIT UNIONS that and THEIR visas, that we've had to hold cards as opposed to pre-auth charges
Sorry to hear you have had your last meal @ HB
Seems overly petty to turn so nasty...but I learned long ago, "you can't make everyone happy, no matter how hard you try"
Take care

Final answer from me....

Not getting nasty.....just truthful and honest about patronizing your businesses. Must be a fine line between Sports bars and restaurants that I must not see as a non owner.

I don't even like the pre authorization policy either.......but it would be better than giving out the credit card for an extended time.

Thank you for your time.

I agree with your position. They have decided to protect themselves from getting stiffed by running all customers through the wringer. They will likely lose more business as a result of this policy than they would have lost by the occasional walk-out.

They handled your letters so well up until they said "petty" and "nasty".

I bought a cluster for my car from JME. I couldn't get it to fit into my dash properly. I decided to send it back for a refund. Julio refused to accept it, arguing it was "custom made" (but they all are), etc. Yeah, he would have had to sit on it a while waiting for another customer looking for the same thing. Or, he would have had to part it out for other clusters. But, what really happened was he lost several sales because of the bad press I gave him - losses far greater than he would have suffered had he just taken my cluster back. Bad business.

The guys at PATC in Shreveport broke it off in me, too. I've probably scared off more business than they made off my sale. All they had to do was take my trans back and sell it to someone else. But, when they refused, the whole world heard about how I was treated.

In the days of the 'net, you had better take care of your customers.

Pete,

I can only hope that when I'm retired and enjoying the good life I can find something better to do. LOL You ruined that poor guys day completely!

I have absolutely ZERO problems leaving my debit card with a waitress/bartender/whoever and my checking account balance is usually enough to raise an eyebrow. Read up on your bank's policies IRT unauthorized charges on your debit/credit card. I've been a victim of credit card fraud on a few occasions and NEVER has it not been fully resolved to my satisfaction. When I walk into a bar the first thing I do..... okay, the second thing I do (the first thing is a quick glance for any very attractive women that may have imbided too much and are doing a quick table dance) is hand the bartender my debit card to set up a tab and I'll whine like a little school girl to the manager if they "don't do tabs"..... WTF? I have to pull cash out of my pocket and stand there while I wait for my change EVERY time I walk up to the bar? I might as well just get my beer and turn around and go to the back of the line each time as it's a complete waste of my time.

I leave my credit/debit card with waitresses or bar tenders all the time and I have never had an issue. I don't know of any place around here that doesn't have the same policy, but again that is for a place that is more bar than restaurant. I don't think their policy is out of line.

I have also seen pre-authorization charges on my card from time to time and they suck for sure, but its never usually a major problem. Just a major annoyance.

Yep, lots of free time.....think this took almost 20 min. total out of my extremely busy day....lol. Since I quit work early in life, I figured I would take it easy before I got into the shuffle board program......Just do fun things now.

I am familiar with my CC policies and that is why I double checked with them again.

And what defines a sports bar from a restaurant in your opinions?

Well, I must admit that around here, I don't go to to many "bars" per say so I checked with others around here. Several say that they have never heard of that policy. Maybe just new here. Never saw it in Az. either. Could just be the places I went to. There must be many who have no problem as the business is busy and they are doing ok. I am not saying he needs to change things, but after verifying it is a company wide policy, I will avoid doing business there. I have been lucky and never had a credit card problem and don't need to tempt things now. The waitress quality in these places could have a bearing on things too. Anyway, on to more fun things......

I've been the victim of CC fraud twice, and had to get new cards issued at least 3 times. None have had anything to do with a 'brick & mortar' store, or anywhere I've used the card. the fraud was random, and the reissues where because CC processing centers apparently can't provide decent security of laptops & data.

Back