• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which oil filter?

blackford

I'm coming up on an oil change. I don't do them that often because it takes a few years to get a few thousand miles on the car. Last time I used a K&N hi performance oil filter. I have a Fram Racing HP1 high flow low restriction oil filter that I didn't use last time because I was unsure about the quality. Is this a good filter or do you have other suggestions?

For my 66, I use a Mobil One filter-sprayed gold with a Rotunda decal to supposedly look like original replacement filters.

I've always run Motorcraft FL-1A on street cars and FL-HP (racing version) in my 66, never had a problem.

Motorcraft filters are great. I run a Wix (Napa Gold) on my car, which is a half step down from K&N and Mobil 1. Don't touch anything Fram, Purolater, STP, or pretty much anything else that costs $2. You get what you pay for.

I also run the NAPA gold on my 350 in the boat, good filter too.

"70_Fastback" said:
Difference(s) ?

Seriously, the FL1A has a burst pressure of 200 psi, the HP has a 400 psi burst pressure and is a single stage full flow filter made for high oil volume and pressure. Is it worth the extra $$, maybe..maybe not. What's $10 extra bucks a year? Peace of mind and it's worked so far.

Just a follow up/update.

I put a new MotorCraft FL1A filter on the rebuilt engine for break in & this is the second MotorCraft FL1A filter that I have ran on my 347. This one has now developed a leak as well as the first one did.

I am done with MotorCrap filters now. Moving on to something better.

That sounds more like a bad mating surface, especially if two have leaked the same way. I have used them for many, many years on my Dad's 150,000+ mile F100/302 plus all my vehicles. Never had one leak.

So try another cheapy and see if it leaks. Hope the problem with the gear drive did not cause a hair line crack......

Naah, I put the first MotorCrap filter on it before I left for cornfeed and it leaked then. Now this second leaks. I'm changing out the break in oil this friday, I'll try a Wix or something else then.

Maybe a fram because it's a cool color ? :rofl

Back